Comparison to Islam

Guest Anon Kaur

Guest Anon Kaur

SSA Ji,

I was wondering if anyone could draw a comparison or explain this to me. I am unfamiliar with Islam but I have a close friend who is Muslim and knows very little about Sikhi. I was describing to him about the Gurus, and he asked if they could be comparable to their "Prophet." As far as I understand, the "Prophet" was just a messenger of God. But I am unsure if the 10 Gurus can be compared to a messenger. I know Guru Gobind Singh Ji said do not pray to him as he was not God, and to pray only to the Guru Granth Sahib Ji. So can we call the Guru Jis messengers of God? Sorry for any confusion and I do not mean any disrespect by drawing this comparison, I simply am trying to convey an understanding of how we view our Guru Jis to a friend with little understanding of our history. Thank you in advance. 

Guest BrownEyes

SSA Ji

As far as I know, the Islam prophet in the 7th century AD was an enlightened individual who introduced a way living and worshiping God to the people of the time. His teachings were compiled into the Qu'ran and is the core of the Islamic faith that would be followed long after his departure from earth. The followers called him the Messenger of God as they took his teachings as the word of God. The Muslims then worship God according to their prophet's teachings and interpretations.

In 15th century India, an enlightened individual was born called Nanak who introduced a way of living and remembering God and traveled widely throughout Asia spreading his teachings. The work was more than one lifetime's worth and so the teachings were passed to 9 further Gurus in succession who compiled our Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as the 11th, final and eternal Guru. Followers of these teachings are called Sikhs. When we go to the Gurdwara, the eternal Guru is seated and we bow down to show the highest respect, we hear the word of God and in our listening, prayers and recital we are remembering and worshiping God according to the teachings of the Gurus - not worshiping the Gurus themselves. We sing the praises of the Gurus for giving us enlightenment, the path to God aswell as remembering the name - Waheguru. The teachings are non-specific, therefore the logic and interpretation is eternal and is applied in any time period for any situation.   

On 12/16/2019 at 1:34 AM, Guest Anon Kaur said:

SSA Ji,

I was wondering if anyone could draw a comparison or explain this to me. I am unfamiliar with Islam but I have a close friend who is Muslim and knows very little about Sikhi. I was describing to him about the Gurus, and he asked if they could be comparable to their "Prophet." As far as I understand, the "Prophet" was just a messenger of God. But I am unsure if the 10 Gurus can be compared to a messenger. I know Guru Gobind Singh Ji said do not pray to him as he was not God, and to pray only to the Guru Granth Sahib Ji. So can we call the Guru Jis messengers of God? Sorry for any confusion and I do not mean any disrespect by drawing this comparison, I simply am trying to convey an understanding of how we view our Guru Jis to a friend with little understanding of our history. Thank you in advance. 

I wouldn't talk to sullay about religion myself. (well I would, but they'd get upset...)

If you are in any way deficient in your own knowledge of your own heritage, they'll likely exploit it. 

They have perfected techniques to brainwash the dimwitted into their thing. Don't be a victim. 

We don't have to answer to anyone about our dharam. You should get deeper into yours, and let them get on with it. Be careful you don't get brainwashed or groomed - the police won't help you or your family if you do.    

As far as I know, the Islam prophet in the 7th century AD was an enlightened individual who introduced a way living and worshiping God to the people of the time. 

That's not how Bhai Gurdas ji considers Islam, nor is it reflective of dasmesh pita's conception of the 'pegembher' in Bachitar Natak. 

On 12/16/2019 at 1:34 AM, Guest Anon Kaur said:

SSA Ji,

Muslims are told to try and convert anyone. they even do it slyly. such as accidentaly dropping a leaflet on islam in your book. or sending you some muslim facebook link. ect. ignore this fool.

Sis ask your Muslim friend who is trying to convert you about the following:

Guide to Understanding Islam

What does the
Religion of Peace
Teach About...

Slavery and Sex Slavery

Question:

Does Islam condone slavery?

Does Islamic teaching allow Muslim men to keep women as sex slaves?

Summary Answer:

Islam neither ignores nor condemns slavery. In fact, a large part of the Sharia is dedicated to the practice.

Muslims are encouraged to live in the way of Muhammad, who was a slave owner and trader.

He captured slaves in battle. He had sex with his slaves. And he instructed his men to do the same. The Qur'an actually devotes more verses to making sure that Muslim men know they can keep women as sex slaves (4) than it does to telling them to pray five times a day (0).

The Qur'an:

Qur'an (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee" This is one of several personal-sounding verses "from Allah" narrated by Muhammad - in this case allowing himself a virtually unlimited supply of sex partners. Other Muslims are restrained to four wives, but, following the example of their prophet, may also have sex with any number of slaves, as the following verse make clear:

Qur'an (23:5-6) - "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..." This verse permits the slave-owner to have sex with his slaves. See also Qur'an (70:29-30). The Quran is a small book, so if Allah used valuable space to repeat the same point four times, then sex slavery must be very important to him.

Qur'an (4:24) - "And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess." Even sex with married slaves is permissible.

Qur'an (8:69) - "But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good" A reference to war booty, of which slaves were a part. The Muslim slave master may enjoy his "catch" because (according to verse 71) "Allah gave you mastery over them."

Qur'an (24:32) - "And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves..." Breeding slaves based on fitness.

Qur'an (2:178) - "O ye who believe! Retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the murdered; the freeman for the freeman, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female." The message of this verse, which prescribes the rules of retaliation for murder, is that all humans are not created equal. The human value of a slave is less than that of a free person (and a woman's worth is also distinguished from that of a man's).

Qur'an (16:75) - "Allah sets forth the Parable (of two men: one) a slave under the dominion of another; He has no power of any sort; and (the other) a man on whom We have bestowed goodly favours from Ourselves, and he spends thereof (freely), privately and publicly: are the two equal? (By no means;) praise be to Allah." Yet another confirmation that the slave is is not equal to the master. In this case it is plain that the slave owes his status to Allah's will. (According to 16:71, the owner should be careful about insulting Allah by bestowing Allah's gifts on slaves - those whom the god of Islam has not favored).

From the Hadith:

Bukhari (80:753) - "The Prophet said, 'The freed slave belongs to the people who have freed him.'"

Bukhari (52:255) - The slave who accepts Islam and continues serving his Muslim master will receive a double reward in heaven.

Bukhari (41.598) - Slaves are property. They cannot be freed if an owner has outstanding debt, but can be used to pay off the debt.

Bukhari (62:137) - An account of women taken as slaves in battle by Muhammad's men after their husbands and fathers were killed. The woman were raped with Muhammad's approval.

Bukhari (34:432) - Another account of females taken captive and raped with Muhammad's approval. In this case it is evident that the Muslims intend on selling the women after raping them because they are concerned about devaluing their price by impregnating them. Muhammad is asked about coitus interruptus.

Bukhari (47.765) - A woman is rebuked by Muhammad for freeing a slave girl. The prophet tells her that she would have gotten a greater heavenly reward by giving her to a relative (as a slave).

Bukhari (34:351) - Muhammad sells a slave for money. He was thus a slave trader.

Bukhari (72:734) - Some contemporary Muslims in the West, where slavery is believed to be a horrible crime, are reluctant to believe that Muhammad owned slaves. This is just one of many places in the Hadith where a reference is made to a human being owned by Muhammad. In this case, the slave is of African descent.

Muslim 3901 - Muhammad trades away two black slaves for one Muslim slave.

Muslim 4112 - A man freed six slaves on the event of his death, but Muhammad reversed the emancipation and kept four in slavery to himself.