Ms

Guest Atwal

I want to share my experience/ journey as a sikh.

My mother believes strongly in path and when I was young, she taught me how to do path. At least gave me a motive/ direction. She told me, do sukhmani sahib path every single day for 40 days and your wishes will come true( ask and you shall receive). And I believed it and kept doing path. It helped me through out my life. She did mention about Shabad paaths- Isha Puran Shabad. But that requires so much discipline, did that and got results.

All these shabads and marayada: showering, with hair wash, clean clothes, sucham, doing Jot, following a diet. I am struggling with the belief system. As I grew older, I started understanding Gurbani- there is a mention in sukhmani sahib itself(correct me if I am wrong) that taking showers will not clean our soul, we need baani for that.

I do believe in God, but its like I am doubting myself that if I dont do it maryada wise, my wishes wont come true. As a human, I have wishes/desires which only waheguru can help me with.

What do I go with? what I interpret of Gurbani or feed on my doubts for not following Sucham and Maryada.

I would highly appreciate your kind thoughts.

Dekho ji, our gurus wanted his Sikhs to be clean and extremely fit. One of our kakkar  is kanga to keep our hair neat and clean and away from jatavaan. See how many Hindu sadhus you see in India has hair knots and uncombed and dirty.

with sucham you have healthy life. You are possibly too much focusing on something that wont create any hinderance if you start your religious journey. Maryada of paat, maryada of guru darbar, maryada of sukhasaan etc etc. they actually helps you on your spiritual journey. 

when reading gurbani, you should not come to any conclusion unless you read whole granth sahib thoroughly and many times. That stanza you read might be  giving an example that by bathing you cannot wash your sins (like Hindus believe in that by taking bath in ganges). But literally guru Jee didn’t say don’t take bath.