Why do some 'Sikhs' celebrate Christmas

Harditsingh

49 minutes ago, Akal Warrior said:

Nothing should be celebrated in December? What on earth are you talking about? There is a Shaheedi divas on every day of the calendar year (Bhai Mati Das Bhai Sati Das, 5th and 9th Guru Sahibs, Bhai Taru Singh, Baba Deep Singh, 1984, Saka Nankana, Banda Singh Bahadur, the list goes on and on) Are you seriously saying that at any time a Sikh was Shaheed, people can't celebrate anything, even if it happened over 300 years ago? That doesn't make any sense, and is actually the exact opposite of Chardi Kala. Think about it. 

Neither does chardikala mean to celebrate.  So think about it.

7 hours ago, Akal Warrior said:

Nothing should be celebrated in December? What on earth are you talking about? There is a Shaheedi divas on every day of the calendar year (Bhai Mati Das Bhai Sati Das, 5th and 9th Guru Sahibs, Bhai Taru Singh, Baba Deep Singh, 1984, Saka Nankana, Banda Singh Bahadur, the list goes on and on) Are you seriously saying that at any time a Sikh was Shaheed, people can't celebrate anything, even if it happened over 300 years ago? That doesn't make any sense, and is actually the exact opposite of Chardi Kala. Think about it. 

No nothing should be celebrated in december    neither did Sikhs celebrate anything in december    its only in the last few decades with nri sikhs returning in december during christmas holidays that people have started doing weddings etc in december again. 

In some of the pinds around sirhind people still dont do anything celebrations in december

Personally for me it just dont feel right doing bhangra and having weddings around the date that the shaheedi happened. 

23 hours ago, puzzled said:

No nothing should be celebrated in december    neither did Sikhs celebrate anything in december    its only in the last few decades with nri sikhs returning in december during christmas holidays that people have started doing weddings etc in december again. 

In some of the pinds around sirhind people still dont do anything celebrations in december

Personally for me it just dont feel right doing bhangra and having weddings around the date that the shaheedi happened. 

So, if your child had a birthday in December, you would not allow them to celebrate it? "Sorry kid, no Happy birthday for you because 300 years ago..." 

Really? I wonder what kind of psychological effect it would have on a child, and how it would affect their Sikhi in the future? Subconscious animosity perhaps? In Saka Nankana children were thrown into fires, so does that mean nothing can be celebrated in February?  June 1984 attack... No June birthdays for children?  I understand respect for Shaheeds, but who is making these rules? Why does it not apply to the other months?  What about when Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Gurpurab falls in December instead of January for certain years? 

4 hours ago, Jonny101 said:

I've seen Sikhs who have a huge problem celebrating a cultural day like Rakhri because they say it is a Hindu holiday or even make a fuss over calling Diwali as "Diwali" instead of Bandi chod Divas but have no problem celebrating Christmas with their whole family.

I think there are some cultural baggage issues.

Some of our people will disassociate anything relating to Hindus because some of us feel threatened that we may be reverting to become Hindus.

Christmas being an "outsiders" festival holds no such connotations. 

9 hours ago, Akal Warrior said:

So, if your child had a birthday in December, you would not allow them to celebrate it? "Sorry kid, no Happy birthday for you because 300 years ago..." 

Really? I wonder what kind of psychological effect it would have on a child, and how it would affect their Sikhi in the future? Subconscious animosity perhaps? In Saka Nankana children were thrown into fires, so does that mean nothing can be celebrated in February?  June 1984 attack... No June birthdays for children?  I understand respect for Shaheeds, but who is making these rules? Why does it not apply to the other months?  What about when Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Gurpurab falls in December instead of January for certain years? 

It ain't a rule it's how people felt about it   like I said in villages around sirhind people to this day dont do weddings and celebrations in december   I guess it's because it closer to home for people from sirhind. In other parts of Punjab people didnt do much in december either but attitudes have changed and people started having weddings etc in december.

It comes down to what feels right. My birthdays in December and mum told me to buy something sweet and leave it in the langar hall but I didnt do that coz it didnt feel right to do that. Comes down to the individual. 

As for birthdays in december and kids getting psychologically affected   I never had birthday parties, just a cake and then it was back to watching tv   and that didnt affect me in any way, Im actually glad I dint have any of that cheesy bs. 

Most punjabi kids just get a cake, £20  and then that's it  finished      I dont see them getting effected in any way. 

On 12/31/2019 at 3:23 AM, Jonny101 said:

I've seen Sikhs who have a huge problem celebrating a cultural day like Rakhri because they say it is a Hindu holiday or even make a fuss over calling Diwali as "Diwali" instead of Bandi chod Divas but have no problem celebrating Christmas with their whole family.

Funnily enough, I recently saw a hukumnama from Guru Gobind Singh calling it Diwali

On 12/31/2019 at 1:52 AM, Ranjeet01 said:

I think there are some cultural baggage issues.

Some of our people will disassociate anything relating to Hindus because some of us feel threatened that we may be reverting to become Hindus.

Christmas being an "outsiders" festival holds no such connotations. 

I'm sure that might be the case in India but certainly not in the West where Sikhs are in no danger of reverting back to Hinduism.

In the west the ideologies of Christianity and western secularism is what many people end up assimilating into Sikhi. Celebrating Christmas is back door entry to both those ideologies. Opening up your family to Western secularism or western universalism is more dangerous than Christianity which leads one to becoming a secular followed by agnostic or worse atheist. 

14 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

Funnily enough, I recently saw a hukumnama from Guru Gobind Singh calling it Diwali

The term Bandi Chod Divas is not even that old. I haven't been able to find reference to this term before the mid 90s when it became popular after the fall of the Sikh Kharku movement. All the puratan letters of the Gurus and even Bhai Mani Singh jees letter refers to this day as Divali. 

Nothing wrong with using both terms interchangeably but I find it highly strange when I see some missionary influenced Sikhs start to accuse you of being an RSS agent if you refer to this day as Divali.