Jattism

Guest brampton

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think it might be because a small number of weak minded people amongst the Sodhis  succumbed to the incessant nonsense from certain peasant quarters about being 'high caste' and joined them myself. 

Bhagat puran Singh jis father was a wealthy khatri while his mother was a jatt.   She was his second wife and was forcefully abducted and forced to marry him.   She used to collect water from the well and then give water to travellers.  Bhagat puran singh jis father found her attractive and abducted her and married her.    But because she was a jatt he didnt want children with her because he saw her as a low caste. He made her abort 5 babies!  6th time he got her pregnant she begged him not to commit the sin of abortion again and he agreed and that baby was bhagat puran singh ji.   

22 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Or they just decided to buy land and start farming. Guru nanak dev ji farmed too  so it explains why a few bedis are jatts today.

I dont see why my khatri ancestors would of decided to become jatts just to become a high caste because khatris and jatts in punjab are of a similar high status anyway.  In fact in cities and urban areas   khatris are higher than jatts.

My nanke family in india are family friends with a Khatri family for generations and we invite each other at family events like Sukhmani sahib paath, weddings  etc 

It's most likely my ancestors started doing farming and started mixing with jatts and marrying them etc   

Either way    it doesnt really matter ...

My family are doing farming these days too. Or at least leasing land to farmers. 

They haven't started to call themselves Jutts yet. 

They didn't buy into the inferiority complex I guess??? 

On 12/23/2019 at 10:35 AM, Guest brampton said:

I grew up in Canada and I have never really integrated into Punjabi culture until of late. Recently, I have been listening to more and more Punjabi music( Sidhu, Karan Aujla) and from there I have realized people still give importance to castes. My father's last name is Chawla and my mom's is Sodhi, but sometimes i still don't feel like a real Punjabi. When I look at my extended family, no-one has cut their hair but I have seen people say " Chawla is a hindu surname".  I don't get why being Jatt is such a big deal.. I think both of my parents are from Khatri roots and I think that is higher than being Jatt, yet everyone around me acts like being Jatt is a superpower. I even saw a post on twitter saying " today is a good day to be a Jatt" or girls saying they are looking for a Jatt man only. I don't know why but this makes me so confused as to think if people actually make assumptions based on my surname. Is being a Khatri looked down upon in punjabi community or does it make me less of a punjabi?

You thought belonging to khatri roots were higher than belong to jatt roots? Tum ko tumara khoob hum ko hamara khoob.

Girls are looking for a jatt man only? That's their choice, respect it or don't but don't cry about it and instead move on.

Is being a khatri looked down upon? Subjective? My own opinion and hopefully other people (I hope !?) is that we have never even though about it?

Chawla surname is hindu surname? Come on, who really care.

There's definetly an element of tribalism but that's just because of familiarity. Everyone wants to belong/be part of those that are familiar. The way a jatt speaks, behaves and certain cultural beliefs he/she holds will be different how say a chinese person behaves. So it's in his/her own interest to make it easier and to belong to familiar ground they go and seek the company of another "jatt". It's not rocket science.

Hopefully you don't have any more confusion.

• 1 year later...
On 12/25/2019 at 2:20 AM, puzzled said:

Bhagat puran Singh jis father was a wealthy khatri while his mother was a jatt.   She was his second wife and was forcefully abducted and forced to marry him.   She used to collect water from the well and then give water to travellers.  Bhagat puran singh jis father found her attractive and abducted her and married her.    But because she was a jatt he didnt want children with her because he saw her as a low caste. He made her abort 5 babies!  6th time he got her pregnant she begged him not to commit the sin of abortion again and he agreed and that baby was bhagat puran singh ji.   

Clearly shows your low born mentality

All the rulers and landed military nobility (maharaja Ranjit Singh , phulkia kings, misaldars, Majithia sardars, sandhawalia sardars, Attariwala sardars etc etc) were  jatt 

Sodhis and Bedi's use to beg for jagirs from jatt kings