Forums....

Heera Singh

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!

peepz.. I saw this post on gursikhijeevan.com and I found it very interesting.. I do so because this is the way that many people including myself are feeling...

it seems these dayz forums are not much more then a place for people to come argue... i know there are several threads that are actually related to sikhi, and threads where people come to get advice/questions answered... but one way or another, many of these threads turn into clashes... debate is a good thing.. to a certain POINT... but arguing about EVERY LITTLE thing involved with Sikhi or even things involved in everyday life for that matter is something that's destroying us... some people mite have a different view on this.. and tha's kool.. everybody's entitled to their own opinion... but like one of the earlier posts a couple of months ago.. i think it was by japmans ... which was basically kinda stating what i am.. but that one went more in depth..

anyhow... the post will explain the rest...

enjoy..!!

Author: chardeekalaa (24.83.166.---)

Date:  12-05-04 13:16

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

i know i might turn by back on this post but i hope i can stay with it. well, to tell you the truth, the forums on tapoban.org, sikhnet.com, sikhsangat.com, gursikhijeevan.com, akj.org, 5knet.com, and other websites have provided me in the past with a l

ot of inspiration and upliftment.

however, lately i have become embroiled in so many heated arguments and wherever i look there is just another argument and another debate. i think sometimes these are great because they show that we are having growing pains and people are working out their differences. but in other places they are actually establishing and solidifying their differences and capitalizing on the intellectual or social weaknesses of others to further their ideology.

because of this frustration i have come to a resolve that for the next few months, instead of the typical discussion forums, i will just discuss things with my guru. i am going to come to these forums less often and try to visit all of the gurbani websites more often. i mean gursikhs are the image of the guru, but a lot of people on these forums are just posers. who am i to judge? well i myself am a poser - and they say a thief can best spot out another thief. for those who don't know what poser means it is somebody who is jeeo mailay bahru nirmal - dirty inside, clean outside. a hypocrite or a fake. and i'm sad to say there are so many of us. we should start a union, haha.

in all seriousness though, i think it will be much better for most of us that for every hour we spend on a discussion forum, we should spend an hour in discussion with our guru. this is the only way we will be worthy of these discussions and this is the only way we will actually come away from these forums with more incentive and inspiration. a lot of us just read the posts all day and don't change anything in our lives. this is a big problem of mine. plus a lot of us (especially me) like to post long long posts with lots of gurbani thuks and go on big rants and raves, but essentially we are not saying much. we just talk a lot to sound more intelligent. and unfortunately the newcomers and the more gullible gursikhs start to think that we are intellectuals and saints. i know i am worse than those banaras kay thug.

so i am tired of

being perceived as one thing but actually being another. this is another phase of my life where i will try to institute a challenge for myself and to be most honest i think it's in hukam for me to refrain from these boards. so i hope it goes well and i hope guru sahib blesses me with gurmat gian and budhi that i need to be deserving of posting on these forums and giving advice to others.

kirapaa karahu dheen kae dhaathae maeraa gun avagan n beechaarahu koee ||

in the charan of the saadh sangat,

with love and humility,

thuhaadaa daas

waheguru ji ka khalsa,

waheguru ji ki fateh!

wacko.gif unfortunately, it only takes one or two percent of users to ruin forums and cause heated arguments.

I think moderation on these forums is a bit lighter than it should be... needs to be a bit tighter but other than that i see it like this... you have a choice. Either go on forums n read the post or... dont. You're the one who clicks on the links!!!

This forum, for example, now has sections like "Gurbani rehat and life and history" and "literature, poems and inspiration.".... if all you want from the forum is something relevent to these topics, u can go to that section where there doesnt appear to be any heated controversy.

Discussion is good. it helps moorakhs like me who spend a lot of time on the net actually do something useful with my time and indulge in cyber-sangat where i have read up on so much, learnt so much from others on here, got to know a few wkd people too who have helped me a lot.. so wheres the harm in that?

Yes there are disadvantages to these forums... but i think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

This post reminds me of something this Singh was telling me...he said this is kalyug and everything we come into contact with will be opposing our sikhi.......but its upto us to filter out the bad stuff.....we should look at stuff and take out the good parts......and try to rise above it.......just my 2 cents..... now back to studying

I completely agree with both of you in the sense that it is OUR choice to go to these forums and what not... and it IS an amazing way for people, especially youth, to learn about Sikhi, its teachings, history etc...

But just like looking back at a few main discussion we had on this site... no matter how innocent or simple the question might be... it usually turns into some sort of conflict.. and in a sense.. it ruins it for the rest of us.... like that Veer who said he was kinda backin away from Sikhi and said it wasn't his path etc... when he put up a post just askin questions... a couple of them turned into conflicts... i.e. 'sikhi the only way'...

Personally.. I agree in the sense that these forums do more GOOD then BAD.. i agree with Aman that maybe moderation should be a little more strict... there are very few posts that i HAVE seen deleted/edited..

but anywayz... this thread wasn't meant to stir up ne controversy... i jes hope from now on there isn't ne more nonsense and unnecessary bikkering...

i only started to visit forums a year back, but i too ahve noticed the frequent arguing.

in some random contreversial post on a topic discussed thousnads of times before, admin jees stated nicely, that we should discuss gurmat stuff, such as bhai Gurdas jee's vaars, rather than arguing over issues that divide, cause doubt, in our panth.

benti that the great gursikhs ^_^ on this forum start posts full of pyar and discussion on various banees and shabads rather than arguing over the same things again and again :TH:

discussing things that are said to be "the key to Guruu jee"(i.e. Varran Bhai Gurdass Jee da) will be much more rewarding and fruitful than arguing over meat, caste, et al.

bhole chuk maaf

gurfateh jio

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

" its upto us to filter out the bad stuff "

kaaddh khadag gur giyaan karaaraa bikh chhed chhed ras peejaiy (kalyaaNN mehla 4)

(pannaa 1324)

with the powerful sword of knowledge provided by Guru jee impale this poison like maayaa and drink the naam ras

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

i totally agree, while discussion is good sometimes things just get outta control and we just start arguing....nothing gets resolved !

i think its best to just ask Guru Ji aswell, Guru Ji gives the best answers and its more personal aswell cos Guru Ji nos exactly what we're feeling.......just my view

bhull chukk muaff

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!