• Topics

• I did my work experience in a catholic school which is on the same road as the Khalsa primary school and they used to have Catholic assemblies every morning with a prayer and the non Catholics had to be in the assembly but didn't have to take part in the prayer.  The R.E lessons were Catholic but the teachers would ask the non Catholic kids to say about their religion too. There were a few Sikh/hindu kids and few Pakistani but that was it, had a lot of polish kids that couldn't speak English. There was a little church in the School too not sure how often the kids used it though.  The Sikh Primary school on that road is one of the best in the area and the parents are very happy with it, kids learn a lot about Sikhi in that school   more than what your average parents can probably teach or know.  Further down the road theres a also a Muslim school which was one of the worst in the area, it had the worst Ofsted report and was full of corruption/money problems, not sure how it's doing now. They learn how to read and write in gurmukhi and know several japji sahib pauris of by heart.  I know a lady whose kids went to the khalsa primary school but she didnt send her kid to the sikh secondary school because she said a lot of parents are saying it's not that good.     
    • Earlier, the Sikh community seeking Korean citizenship was not having their turbans and long beards when taking an identity card and passport photo. https://www.asiancommunitynews.com/proud-moments-sikhs-in-korea-now-can-acquire-citizenship-while-keeping-their-articles-of-faith-intact/
    • That's an interesting observation, a lot of us old folks (well, those who have children going through the education system) may remember going to school and having nothing but christian based assemblies with occasional "Asian" one thrown into the mix.  I think that's a decision parents have to take individually, if they feel that a Sikh ethos school should only mean they teach Sikhi then they don't fully understand how the education system works, i think what they are looking for is a Sikh religious school. My kids go to a Sikh ethos school in the midlands (not Nishkam), they have and take part in Sikh assemblies and ones from other religions, the make up of that school is majority Sikh, I've never heard of a parent complaining about it. If by learning about another religion or taking part in an assembly somehow makes your belief in your religion less then that's something you need to work on, as i mentioned above, i grew up having to take part in Christian assemblies, my religion stayed resolute.
    • Where does the money come from? Hindu organisations ? Indian government?  Punjab is lost cause for Sikhs now...we cant say anything or ask justice ow we'll end up in Jail..  
    • It comes from the  need to acommodate and be all inclusive. Our people feel the need to deprecate our needs and prioritise others over ourselves.  There are elements of gora society that does this and we follow suit.

Important Information

Terms of Use