Dharmic and Abrahamic

Dsinghd

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

but it aint easy as that, alcohol for many is a get away or used for coping. look at how many punjabi men sit alone in the living room with a bottle in front of them,  that isnt normal behavior. iv seen many depressed men in my family and they use alcohol.    depression and mental health is a big thing among south asian men and black men in the uk,   this alcohol thing is a lot more deeper than people think     its not gnna be that simple resolving it 

No simple resolution indeed. Only Akal Purakh can save someone once the poison has them. The world tries to present alcohol as normal, and as you know, it's horrid. Definitely contributes to mental health problems, depression, anxiety, anger, lust, lying..essentially all depravity...

Because alcohol abuse is enforced "normal" in certain cultures, the ignorant user quickly becomes hooked, and once hooked, they blame themselves, which is in part true, but really it speaks to the nature of alcohol and the cultures that pump it.

Even in our language use we say hard drugs and alcohol, which is normal, more correct however is to say, hard drugs like alcohol. 

Alcohol is an Imperialist weapon only suited for devils to drink. 

15 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I hear this regularly. In your opinion, what do you think is the root cause of this depression? Not enough support / understanding from their wives? Pressures back home? A general existential despair?

Well in punjabi I dont even think there is a word for "depression"    the actual diagnoses doesnt even exist in our culture  so where are you supposed to start from?

A few yrs back when I went india with my dad he took me around and old family friends house, the ladies son was in his 30s and was married with children, he clearly had depression but they had absolutely no idea! The lady was telling my dad how her son just sits there with his head hanging down all day and ends up in deep thoughts, she said he wonders off into the fields for hours wondering around, he doesnt interact with his kids and anymore and doesnt talk much anymore. The son then started telling us how he is always worried and doesnt feel like doing anything.  He said hes doesnt feel happy inside the house or outside the house.  He clearly had depression and the mum started saying that someone's done black magic and that she gonna take him to a baba.  

People dont even know what depression is. 

also as a man who wants to admit that he has problems? No one

On 1/19/2020 at 6:36 PM, BhForce said:

OK, a lot of Christians don't like Yoga because they think that it has to do with Hinduism (they might be right). 

But that has nothing to do with our discussion.

So, when you say "Great to see that", does that mean you now say that Christianity is "Dharmic", according to your own definition which you gave?

Christianity is the best out of the Abrahamic faiths (they have priests and nuns).

All Islam is praying to Allah facing Mecca.

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

Well in punjabi I dont even think there is a word for "depression"    the actual diagnoses doesnt even exist in our culture  so where are you supposed to start from?

A few yrs back when I went india with my dad he took me around and old family friends house, the ladies son was in his 30s and was married with children, he clearly had depression but they had absolutely no idea! The lady was telling my dad how her son just sits there with his head hanging down all day and ends up in deep thoughts, she said he wonders off into the fields for hours wondering around, he doesnt interact with his kids and anymore and doesnt talk much anymore. The son then started telling us how he is always worried and doesnt feel like doing anything.  He said hes doesnt feel happy inside the house or outside the house.  He clearly had depression and the mum started saying that someone's done black magic and that she gonna take him to a baba.  

People dont even know what depression is. 

also as a man who wants to admit that he has problems? No one

You remind me of a conversation I was having with my mum a few days ago on this very topic, and I asked her the same question as it relates to current Punjabi society. She said that if all other aspects of a person's life were as well as to be expected, then poverty is the one reason men in Punjab in particular have started to fall victim to depression. Whether that depression stems from genuine hand-to-mouth poverty or it's greed-induced desire for material items that neighbours and other family seem to be flaunting, is up for debate.

On 1/19/2020 at 5:40 PM, Dsinghdp said:

The Dharmic faiths are more difficult to understand such as Nirgun and Sargun, Nirvana, reincarnation, soul separate from body, meditation. God has many forms.

Whilst Abrahamic is less difficult to grasp belief in a God, heaven and hell and a set of rules to abide by.

Most popular faiths are Abrahamic.

Sheeple follow abrahamic faiths (they need set of commandments to know right from wrong and how to wipe their battys)

Lions and people with common sense follow dharmic faiths (guidance and true spirituality).

The reason why abrahamic faiths are popular cos they easy to follow like a sheep, no need to engage your brain with. The quran and bibles are given freely and chucked around easy to brainwash people with. If Sikhs were able to give english copies of SGGS Ji freely, actively told to go out and give parchar to people then you'll see alot more converts to Sikhi.

2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

You remind me of a conversation I was having with my mum a few days ago on this very topic, and I asked her the same question as it relates to current Punjabi society. She said that if all other aspects of a person's life were as well as to be expected, then poverty is the one reason men in Punjab in particular have started to fall victim to depression. Whether that depression stems from genuine hand-to-mouth poverty or it's greed-induced desire for material items that neighbours and other family seem to be flaunting, is up for debate.

its both imo. There are people there with just 2 or 3 fields and 2 animals and they really do struggle, and then there are some people with so many fields that they give them to other people to plant and plough for them and give some % of £ for doing their fields for them. The rich and poor live  soo close in india. 

people committing suicide is also due to not being able to pay debts, they pick loans, fields dont give results so they decide to commit suicide.

another thing is that people spend money on stupid things, things that they can't afford   mainly because of trying to compete with their neighbors and relatives.  The lady that i wrote about whose son has depression, they built a medium sized koti and 10s yrs on they can't even afford to paint it! the whole thing is just cement. the reason they built it is because their relatives next door are well off. 

on the other hand my mums cousin who does kethi is doing so well  that he's even got fields and people working for him even in other pinds.    the rich and poor divide is getting wider and wider   even in rural india     

same thing goes for other communities like ravidasias, in my nanke pind   behind our house is a chamar house who built a medium sized koti about 15 yr ago and to this day they still haven't finished it off because they can't afford it! also they havent painted the parts that are finished. one of their sons got married and the room that the new bride was gnna be sleeping in they painted the outside of that room bright pink! so the whole house is cement grey with a pink box in the middle! 

some of our chamar neighbors are really poor with small houses so they have their weddings in our house and they also have their food for their wedding events prepared in our house, which is gd   because neighbors should look out for each other, yet they have massive reception parties in air conditioned venues!   once again  spending money on stupid things.

iv seen a lot of stupidity there 

the lack of compassion and family politics really takes you back as well.  this one old lady in my dads pind who was from my dads pind, got married off but came back because her husband died yrs ago, shes from the same lane as our house and has the same family name as us,  we saw her walking around the pind barefoot with dirty clothes,  she lives in a shed in her brothers house! who himself lives in a 4 story koti. one of her brothers a amritdhari from UK  was visiting the pind and came to visit us, he was boasting about his sons and grandsons all been uni and are lawyers and accountants bla bla bla,  yet his own widowed sister is living in a shed in their house!     we were just speechless.      family politics plays a big part in all this too.  

the whole thing is a mess  

its greed, poverty, family everything ...

16 minutes ago, puzzled said:

its both imo. There are people there with just 2 or 3 fields and 2 animals and they really do struggle, and then there are some people with so many fields that they give them to other people to plant and plough for them and give some % of £ for doing their fields for them. The rich and poor live  soo close in india. 

people committing suicide is also due to not being able to pay debts, they pick loans, fields dont give results so they decide to commit suicide.

another thing is that people spend money on stupid things, things that they can't afford   mainly because of trying to compete with their neighbors and relatives.  The lady that i wrote about whose son has depression, they built a medium sized koti and 10s yrs on they can't even afford to paint it! the whole thing is just cement. they reason they built it is because their relatives next door are well off. 

on the other hand my mums cousin who does kethi is doing so well  that he's even got fields and people working for him even in other pinds.    the rich and poor divide is getting wider and wider   even in rural india     

same thing goes for other communities like ravidasias, in my nanke pind   behind our house is a chamar house who built a medium sized koti about 15 yr ago and to this day they still haven't finished it off because they can't afford it! also they havent painted the parts that are finished. one of their sons got married and the room that the new bride was gnna be sleeping in they painted the outside of that room bright pink! so the whole house is cement grey with a pink box in the middle! 

some of our chamar neighbors are really poor with small houses so they have their weddings in our house and they also have their food for their wedding events prepared in our house, which is gd   because neighbors should look out for each other, yet they have massive reception parties in air conditioned venues!   once again  spending money on stupid things.

iv seen a lot of stupidity there 

the lack of compassion and family politics really takes you back as well.  this one old lady in my dads pind who was from my dads pind got married of but came back because her husband died yrs ago, shes from the same lane as our house and has the same family name as us,  we saw her walking around the pind barefoot in the pind with dirty clothes,  she lives in a shed in her brothers house! who himself lives in a 4 story koti. one of her brothers a amritdhari from UK  was visiting the pind and came to visit us, he was boasting about his sons and grandsons all been uni and are lawyers and accountants bla bla bla,  yet his own widowed sister is living in a shed in their house!     we were just speechless.      family politics plays a big part in all this too.  

the whole thing is a mess  

its greed, poverty, family everything ...

One of things that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

How materialistic and individualist people have become.

8 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

One of things that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

How materialistic and individualist people have become.

do you know about shareeka? people compete more with their shareeks than with anyone one else, it is so deep routed and obsessive!  people will put themselves in debt just to compete with their shreeka!   it plays such a huge part in society there and is so deep routed, i really cant get my head around it!  i understand it,  but the obsession that they have i really dont understand that! it part of the fabric of society. 

but this competing with your shareeks isnt a new thing it goes decades back probably over a 100 years back 

34 minutes ago, puzzled said:

do you know about shareeka? people compete more with their shareeks than with anyone one else, it is so deep routed and obsessive!  people will put themselves in debt just to compete with their shreeka!   it plays such a huge part in society there and is so deep routed, i really cant get my head around it!  i understand it,  but the obsession that they have i really dont understand that! it part of the fabric of society. 

but this competing with your shareeks isnt a new thing it goes decades back probably over a 100 years back 

Yes I am aware of Shareeka. 

I guess there is nothing wrong in some healthy competition and being inspired to improve yourself. 

Personally speaking,  I have no problem with my Thaiyas kids or Chachas kids doing better than me.

May they be prosperous in their endeavours. 

When I look at the culprits of this kind of thing, it is usually some female in the background like a jealous thaiee or chachi. 

If there is one thing I have learnt in life is that in general be a bit less trustful in your non-blood female relatives.