Laurence Fox claimed Sikh soldier in Sam Mendes war epic 1917 is ‘forcing diversity’

genie

On 1/27/2020 at 12:11 PM, puzzled said:

I think Indians fought in these wars simply for the money, I really dont think they cared about the cause   let's be realistic here!  Same with all the people from other colonised countries that fought in the war. 

More muslims fought in these wars than Sikhs even though its strictly against their religion to fight for non muslims or for a non muslim cause.   They simply did it for the money. 

If anything it opened doors for people to move to the uk

That's not true. Plenty of people who didn't fight had the doors opened to them too. It was the rebuilding of the country in the postwar era that necessitated the need for reliable labour. Most of the ruling classes here seem to believe their own are a nuisance and not up to par in this sense.  That's why they prefer eastern European labour too. 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:44 AM, Harditsingh said:

Should we really be proud of these soldiers who were fighting for the occupiers in lands they had no business in l persoanly am ashamed of them for being lap dogs to the Brits 

I'm infinitely more proud of the Sikhs who stood for their own freedom rather than some foreign cause. People like Kartar Singh Sarabha and the Ghaddari Babay and countless others who get swept under the rug in the face of pro-colonial propaganda. 

20 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

That's not true. Plenty of people who didn't fight had the doors opened to them too. It was the rebuilding of the country in the postwar era that necessitated the need for reliable labour. Most of the ruling classes here seem to believe their own are a nuisance and not up to par in this sense.  That's why they prefer eastern European labour too. 

many who fought in the war were allowed to move to foreign countries, In my mums pind there is a whole lane of "foji" houses  the whole row of houses moved abroad and never returned back since     because they never returned back other people have claimed their land and houses and moved in. 

38 minutes ago, puzzled said:

many who fought in the war were allowed to move to foreign countries, In my mums pind there is a whole lane of "foji" houses  the whole row of houses moved abroad and never returned back since     because they never returned back other people have claimed their land and houses and moved in. 

They often had to fight again in those foreign lands. So don't think that they were welcomed with open arms because of their participation in the foreign wars. Look at the Komagatu Maru incident for example. I saw the 'friendly' welcome in east London first hand as a child so, I know what I'm talking about. Plus it wasn't just limited to my ends, plenty of people all over the country have accounts of virulent racism and violence directed towards them. 

Then you talk about ww1, and in the words of Bhai Jagraj Singh, look how they rewarded us for it with Jallianwala Bagh. And then partition straight after ww2. 

The Sikh story is greater than participating in foreign wars. I don't doubt those guys were brave, but they will never be shaheeds or remotely comparable to those that fought for the freedom of their own people, against the most powerful and devious empire of the time. If you read Omissi's work on Indian soldiers in ww1, he believes that goray specifically targeted the poorest and most illiterate farmers in Panjab, and press ganging was definitely going on. So they weren't exactly 'allowed' to move to foreign countries, they got there and fought for rights to remain against often hostile white populations. 

37 minutes ago, puzzled said:

watched a documentary and they said a lot of the sikh soldiers that returned they still had their rifles and other guns and some of them used them to kill during the riots during 47 ! 

My family defended their illaka and some also saved some sullay (and otherwise), and they didn't have guns. They had shasters though, but great grandpa was a blacksmith, so he probably had good shasters, plus by accounts I've heard he was as strong as an ox from working in the forge. Yeah, a lot of people didn't hand in their bandooks, I think some of them were even used in 1984.

2 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

My family defended their illaka and some also saved some sullay (and otherwise), and they didn't have guns. They had shasters though, but great grandpa was a blacksmith, so he probably had good shasters, plus by accounts I've heard he was as strong as an ox from working in the forge. Yeah, a lot of people didn't hand in their bandooks, I think some of them were even used in 1984.

where your family from? mine are from nawanashahr area where hindus/sikhs were majority and lots of muslims were killed there !  my dads chacha was a little boy and he told me he saw it all! he said rows and rows of muslims were set on fire while they were leaving and he said he remembers seeing raped muslims girls hiding in the fields!    really bad!   those were really barbaric times ...  

1 minute ago, puzzled said:

where your family from? mine are from nawanashahr area where hindus/sikhs were majority and lots of muslims were killed there !  my dads chacha was a little boy and he told me he saw it all! he said rows and rows of muslims were set on fire while they were leaving and he said he remembers seeing raped muslims girls hiding in the fields!    really bad!   those were really barbaric times ...  

Malwa, from a pend near Ludhiana. Where is Nawanashahr?

Yeah, like I said, what you say above was happening, but apparently my great grandpa with some Jut mate of his marched some of the sullay to some refugee camp. They apparently drew their kirpans out and told the people to follow them and ran to the place, they must have been intimidating enough to put any attackers off. Other family members went the other way apparently. 

11 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Malwa, from a pend near Ludhiana. Where is Nawanashahr?

Yeah, like I said, what you say above was happening, but apparently my great grandpa with some Jut mate of his marched some of the sullay to some refugee camp. They apparently drew their kirpans out and told the people to follow them and ran to the place, they must have been intimidating enough to put any attackers off. Other family members went the other way apparently. 

yh iv heard many stories of support and humanity as well while all the carnage was taking place 

Nawanshar is in doaba, other side of the sutluj river.  Muslims were outnumbered in doaba so i think doaba was one of the places where they faced the worst.    in my mums pind, when doing farming people used to find boxes of gold that the muslims buried in the fields thinking they will come back. a few muslims got left behind in my mums pind but they were used life slaves and treated really bad!   a lot of the muslims graves were destroyed and people made fields on top of them afterwards. 

but the same things were happening to sikhs and hindus where muslims were the majority. 

34 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Doaba was 70 percent muslim during the partition.

Just now, Ranjeet01 said:

Doaba was 70 percent muslim during the partition.

really!!  how comes so many of them got killed off then     maybe they weren't that socially dominant then?   iv heard some horrifying things of what sikhs did with them in the area my family are from.     i know that some areas of jalandhar had big muslim population  areas like nurmahal, nakodar, philaur etc  were mainly muslims        how can i find what the statistics were for nawanashahr?