Greatest Sikhs of the 20th century

puzzled

1 minute ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I'm ignorant bro..but didn't the Guru Sahiban get rid of dowry?

They got rid of a lot of stuff, but most of it is still there.  It comes down to greed, for dowry they demand gold, cars, clothes, tv, beds, furniture etc  Its all greed. Sikhi means nothing to them ... 

21 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

So I know greencard marriages are fraught with money hungry pind girls and power imbalances and male sense of ownership and other human foibles...

But like...

Isn't the poor girl better off getting with a sincere Singh, and they treat each other right, even if they aren't rich..better for everyone than well jumping?

India/Punjab is very complicated, best way to explain is that there are many realities in India, there is not one India but many India's. Like in a village in Punjab you will have a family living in a 5 floor building, receiving massages and ordering pizzas, and next door you will have a family making a living by sweeping cow poop from peoples houses and going around the village washing dishes. It gets even more confusing and complicated when even the poorer people demand dowry!  you think if someone goes around the village washing dishes for a living, they would understand how hard it is to earn money, but no! even they demand dowry in many cases!  

Its a very strange place, a lot of greed, no satisfaction.

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Isn't the poor girl better off getting with a sincere Singh, and they treat each other right, even if they aren't rich..better for everyone than well jumping?

Unpopular opinion? Most Punjabi people are the "victims" for as long as misfortune weighs upon their existence. Any upturn in fortunes in even the most superficial manner results in a drastic shift in attitude which results in the "victim" forgetting their recent past and predicaments, and they secretly crave to become the very thing they bemoan. The oppressed all too easily become the oppressors in our culture. This is usually the sign of a dead-end people; complete 5hit for brains.

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Unpopular opinion? Most Punjabi people are the "victims" for as long as misfortune weighs upon their existence. Any upturn in fortunes in even the most superficial manner results in a drastic shift in attitude which results in the "victim" forgetting their recent past and predicaments, and they secretly crave to become the very thing they bemoan. The oppressed all too easily become the oppressors in our culture. This is usually the sign of a dead-end people; complete 5hit for brains.

One of my friends had married a girl from the Pind when he was living in Punjab for a while, then he came home, and brought her and their daughter here. And everything had been fine in Punjab. His poor wife, poor him, got to the united states and she just absolutely went nuts. Kaam, drinking criminal dudes with money and drugs, took the kid and gone is nicest way to put it. 

He wasn't perfect either but he really loved his daughter man. 

It reminded me of like..conservative preachers daughters finally gone wild but different. But it didn't seem like she'd been repressed the same way, I think she lived pretty modern normal in Punjab. 

Tangentially related and I just happened to come across...

Bhai Jagraj Singh! People that take on the Sikhi form (Dastar, Bana, Karra, Kes etc) but do bad actions - Are they bad example for the Khalsa and Sikhi? What if they've taken Amrit? Does that make them better than a good person who hasn't taken on Sikhi? 

Watch to find out who makes a true Khalsa and what a bad Amrit-dhari should do.