Quick S.W.O.T analysis of the Sikh community

genie

24 minutes ago, puzzled said:

peoples priority is not sikhi, their priority is in other things, to the point where people will turn their backs to the faith to gain elsewhere.      

its reached the point where people so easily turn their back to sikhi that its easy as turning a tap on.

We are susceptible to materialism in some of the most grossest and obvious ways, and although this definitely isn't unique to us, it somehow seems a lot more egregious when it manifests itself in our people in a graphic manner because it seems to contradict the religious underpinning of our culture that directs us to be wary of these desires. 

Our conversations are limited to where we work, how much we earn, where we live, what we own, and similar considerations. When was the last time you met a fellow Sikh who genuinely and sincerely enquired as to your well-being? Even those who profess to be spiritually minded are not exempt from this mentality. In fact, in this topsy turvy modern world, these are the people who have the greatest appetites for such trivialities while presenting an image of the absolute opposite. 

40 minutes ago, puzzled said:

weve become people pleasers and a55 lickers      bend over to please anyone    especially for white folks      absolutely embarrassing 

when naming kids people wanna name their kids something that all the white kids and teachers will able to pronounce at school

dnt wanna speak punjabi in public because "what will the goreh think"

and then you have people who short their names down to tommy singhs, peter singhs, john singhs, paul singhs

fcking pathetic 

going off topic on this one..... but my assessment on the current trend within younger generation especially the girls is that they adopt the negative vile traits of western urban black culture and hero worship the black man because they are more promoted in the media's popular culture and in the urban street culture they grow up in. So that they are seen as default as the alpha male, to the girls these days it doesnt matter these days about the guys intelligence or life/job prospects because if they give off the perception of being more body confident and street wise it means they more desirable and sexy in females eyes and off course the readily the use of violence if these guys do not get their own way so much so that even the police/authorities are scared of tackling due to being called racist. It's a subtle form of Stockholm syndrome wanting to appease or ego massage your violent or abusive stronger peer.

Before the girls of older generations generally all used to look up at the white man or fairer asian/brown man. The fairer the guy was the more intelligence, rich and handsome he was perceived in society. Its interesting how popular culture dictates the perception people are groomed brainwashed to believe about a racial/ethnic group of men.

25 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I have some people that changed the spelling of their names.

Like from Simran to Symren and Kiran to Ciaran. 

So unique!!

iv noticed this stupid new fad as well,   new parents naming their kids stupid things and changing traditional spellings.

all my nephews/nieces have stupid names

though one of my nephews is called Hari Singh   best name!  i really like those old school names   

26 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

We are susceptible to materialism in some of the most grossest and obvious ways, and although this definitely isn't unique to us, it somehow seems a lot more egregious when it manifests itself in our people in a graphic manner because it seems to contradict the religious underpinning of our culture that directs us to be wary of these desires. 

Our conversations are limited to where we work, how much we earn, where we live, what we own, and similar considerations. When was the last time you met a fellow Sikh who genuinely and sincerely enquired as to your well-being? Even those who profess to be spiritually minded are not exempt from this mentality. In fact, in this topsy turvy modern world, these are the people who have the greatest appetites for such trivialities while presenting an image of the absolute opposite. 

iv honestly have had far more interesting deep conversations about god, faith, philosophy, clash between faith and modern times etc  with non sikhs than i have with sikhs.     even Christians and muslims are more interesting to talk with these days than sikhs are!

like i started talking to a gorah at the gurdwara who was in they army and we randomly started talking about abrahamic faiths and how the prophets play different roles in each faith, some have a bigger role in one faith but have little significance in another. nothing to do with sikhi but it was still interesting lol  

conspiracy theorists are my favorite LOL 

a woman at work told me that the earth is flat with all the continents as we know them on the top while on the other side of the flat earth is a massive continent and that dinosaurs still live there!  lol      she also said that there is a tunnel that leads to mars and that the elite live on mars and that many slaves for the elite have already been transported to mars   lol  its bonkers   but  its still more interesting than the conversations iv had with sikhs

29 minutes ago, puzzled said:

iv honestly have had far more interesting deep conversations about god, faith, philosophy, clash between faith and modern times etc  with non sikhs than i have with sikhs.     even Christians and muslims are more interesting to talk with these days than sikhs are!

like i started talking to a gorah at the gurdwara who was in they army and we randomly started talking about abrahamic faiths and how the prophets play different roles in each faith, some have a bigger role in one faith but have little significance in another. nothing to do with sikhi but it was still interesting lol 

I've had more spiritually nourishing and uplifting conversations with what the media would label as white nationalist pagans, than people of my own culture and faith. That's so frigged up it beggars belief, lol. I wish I was joking.

3 hours ago, genie said:

What would you say are strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) facing the sikh community in present times?

You can base your analysis globally or locally/nationally.

This is only focused on western sikhs.

S: we are mostly panjabi/Indian. So we share the same language, background and geographical issues.we mostly believe in similar things.  Compare to muslims and Christians our problems are more narrow. 

We have these massive gurdwara everywhere. And gurdware were used by gaddars in 1900s to collect funds and support independence as well as 1984 support.Also most sikhs want sikhs to be United.

And it is easy to spot patterns and judge people. We have two tiers of people: 

The professionals doctors, lawyers ppl in offices/retail, teachers; businessmen store owners, gas owners; and labor ppl truck drivers, construction workers. 

The citizens and the illegals. The 4th generation vs the freshies. The amritdharies (religious) vs monas (nonreligious). The traditional vs modern. The missionary vs orthodox. Rural vs urban. Jatt vs non jatt. Panthic centered vs self centered. Materialistic vs spiritual.

Most panjabi are either hard working or have enough social support  from family that won't end up as losers. In america there is a growth of coach potato sons who just play video games. Parents will just marry them to RN nurse from india and they set for life. And there won't be any incels due to arranged marriage. 

W: because we r mostly panjabi. There are no resources for nonpanjabis. But they are growing slowly.

Each tier only thinks about themselves they dont empathize with the other. And we hate the opposite side that we dehumanize them. Citizens look down on illegals and take advantage of them. Amritdharis stick to themselves. Monas think we r radicalizing the youth and are too backwards.  Parchaar is geared toward turning ppl amritdhari or talking to sikhs. 

Typical panjabi parents are only worried abt their children education and wealth. While sikh family only care about bana and what ppl will say without giving their kids a wholesome childhood and enough experience to live in the world freely. 

Also most sikhs want sikhs to be United but for all sikhs to be the same and follow them. 

O: sikhs mostly anywhere are ready to follow a leader that makes sense and believes similar to them. Like bhai jugraj singh. 

So if we could have a leader that everyone thinks is on their side. But addresses issues of everyone, it will help unite the Panth. We have a chance. 

Also if we could do something about fixing panjab. Like starting businesses there. Like a waste management business. Providing filtered water. Solar panels etc

If we could have parchaariks that address the materialistic and spiritual aspect. That would solve problems. If we could have parchaariks for sehajdharies sikhs. That said you dont want to keep hair or take amrit, fine. But then what makes you sikh? You must do these things at least to call yourself sikh without fraud:. Japji sahib daily. 5 mins required simran. Dharm di Kirat. No selling alcohol etc. 5% daswandh. Basically our parchaariks focus so much  preaching on what  sikhs cant do. That no one explains what sikhs do, what sikhs are. We need to build up loyalty. The only way to do that is to get sikhs to realize the issues each hbk is facing and help address them. That will build up a sense of community instead of competition.

In the olden days, even non amritdharis stayed away from smoking, drinking, and had character. 

T:  No difference of opinion allowed. No discussions allowed. If the dasam granth debate had happened peacefully, so many ppl would have learned more. Instead we just ban ppl and get emotional. We retaliate with the sword when the pen is mightier. We need to bring back the sikhi intellectual culture where debate was allowed and ambiguity was taught. Like in our teekas it says some say This sakhi happened here while other say at this place. 

Because of this we are in danger of becoming too easily controllable and flammable. Ppl get tired of protesting dhundha then darshan Singh then dhadrianwala

Stop hating and loving politicians. Yes badal huni are corrupt. So will be the next person who sits there. America can still run with a trump in office. Why cant we just use the politicians we have. Why do we got to boycott them and lose our control over them? When we protested rajoana, badal huni went to central govt to ask for clemency. As long as they do what we want, fine. Dont get so personal with them 

If we dont let the more liberal and modern sikhs join in the discussion. They will become coconut, convert. Our gurudware are becoming emptier. Youth engagement is low. If gurudware had like a kids day with langar but then also debate about is abortion allowed, are LGBTQ ppl, what threats we face from Christians and muslims, is sikhi spiritual?. And had a panel from both sides with a formal debate and voting at the end. . Engagement from the youth would go up. 

Biggest threat is losing our homeland. From emigration. And foreign immigration. 

19 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Most panjabi are either hard working or have enough social support  from family that won't end up as losers. In america there is a growth of coach potato sons who just play video games. Parents will just marry them to RN nurse from india and they set for life. And there won't be any incels due to arranged marriage. 

Awesome post in general but this is bang on. Even the most nakhama (feckless) Punjabi won't remain single. The family and the community won't allow it, lol. God knows what these guys would do if they had to fend for themselves, and attract a mate based on ingenuity, talent, charm, etc.

But in the future as the decades go by and our western-based communities become even more westernised, do you foresee those future generations succumbing to the same cultural issues that the whites of these nations are currently struggling with?

37 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Awesome post in general but this is bang on. Even the most nakhama (feckless) Punjabi won't remain single. The family and the community won't allow it, lol. God knows what these guys would do if they had to fend for themselves, and attract a mate based on ingenuity, talent, charm, etc.

But in the future as the decades go by and our western-based communities become even more westernised, do you foresee those future generations succumbing to the same cultural issues that the whites of these nations are currently struggling with?

Even Punjab is changing. 

The Gulf in the young Punjabi coming over say in late 90's and in 2020 is unbelievable. 

These young punjabis are more clued on and are not as fearsome as the older generation of punjabis. 

Things will changes 

4 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Even Punjab is changing. 

The Gulf in the young Punjabi coming over say in late 90's and in 2020 is unbelievable. 

These young punjabis are more clued on and are not as fearsome as the older generation of punjabis. 

Things will changes 

Define "clued on." My instinct says this will make their children and successive generations more susceptible - and at a greater speed -- to the issues that took decades to creep into the mentality of those who were born and raised in the UK from the 50s to the 80s.

From my experience, the new arrivals in the UK who have settled here via places like Italy, Bulgaria, Spain, etc., are certainly as you've described them, and in a way I admire their fearlessness to a certain degree, because they've hit the ground running in a society that has very little of the social issues that our elders had to contend with when they arrived on these shores. But because of the relative ease with which they've adapted to these western countries, there also comes complacency. And that complacency will manifest itself in the attitudes and the conduct of their children in the coming years and decades. 

What needs to be noted is the original culture and the land from which they've arrived. The Punjab of today, as you mentioned, is virtually unrecognisable in terms of the values and principles it indirectly imparts to its people. Today's Punjabis are craven materialists; globalists and unfettered consumers in spirit and conduct before they've set foot on foreign soil. Those values are not being reassessed or analysed as potential problems down the road because nobody is awake to the idea that such potential pitfalls are in existence.