Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SinghSardar

Finding a Job

Recommended Posts

Guest SinghSardar

WJKK WJKF,

Sangat Ji, I have been searching for a job for the last 6 months but I am struggling in the GTA (Greater Toronto). I graduated in Web Development, and am looking for a Front-End Developer job. I've tried networking, contacting recruiters, telling family/friends/others, applying, sending resumes and cover letters, but I am not sure what else to do.

I go to the Gurdwara everyday, and I refrain from smoking, drinking, etc. I try my best to be a good person, but I am losing my faith in this struggle in finding a job. I know we shouldn't always ask for something during Ardaas, but I don't know what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

WJKK WJKF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask something in ardaas.

God is your father. It behooves you to ask him for help. Beg him. 

Also if you did web development. Keep studying online. Learn coding,.IT security etc. There r many youtube videos about ppl who keep their skills up to date via online education and some find work online

See those videos and what they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Someone

-do freelance work

-build a portfolio

-if you're not getting interviews, perhaps get your resume checked 

-don't limit yourself to front end development (for now), go for back end, full stack development roles too. If you're not confident in these areas, self teach yourself through online courses, YouTube, etc.

Hope this helps and good luck

VJKK VJKF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Did you search

https://ca.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=web+developer&l=

If you can't find what you are looking for in GTA look beyond !

Otherwise start with whatever option you are getting. Truth is

Jithe daana paani likheya ohthe jana penda

http://www.khojgurbani.org/shabad/index/653/1711/author-5-dr-sant-singh-khalsa/author-2-prof-sahib-singh/language-gurmukhi?alias=ਨਕਿ+ਨਥ+ਖਸਮ+ਹਥ+ਕਿਰਤੁ+ਧਕੇ+ਦੇ+॥

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh
22 hours ago, Guest SinghSardar said:

WJKK WJKF,

Sangat Ji, I have been searching for a job for the last 6 months but I am struggling in the GTA (Greater Toronto). I graduated in Web Development, and am looking for a Front-End Developer job. I've tried networking, contacting recruiters, telling family/friends/others, applying, sending resumes and cover letters, but I am not sure what else to do.

I go to the Gurdwara everyday, and I refrain from smoking, drinking, etc. I try my best to be a good person, but I am losing my faith in this struggle in finding a job. I know we shouldn't always ask for something during Ardaas, but I don't know what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

WJKK WJKF

Don't lose heart man.....put things in perspective. Canada is a notoriously difficult country to find a graduate job in. Every graduate I know there had to receive literally thousands of rejections before they finally found a job. The good thing is that race doesn't play as big a part in the recruitment process as it does in the UK and USA but unfortunately networking plays too big a part.  So, firstly, accept that it's part of the norm as far as job-hunting in Canada is concerned and secondly, from my experience with many other graduates from Canada there are 2 options open for you (and they are seriously worth your time exploring):

1) Think about applying for a job in the USA (given your location, New York ?)

2) Do what a lot of Punjabi Canadian graduates from the west coast have done and apply to live and work in London. Not for ever but it will give you a decent job and, after a year or so, you will have that experience that will hold you in good stead or walking into a job back in Canada. I'm saying this because we've got my wife's Canadian cousin living with us right now. She's moved in with us because she couldn't find an accountancy job back in Canada so came here, walked into a job in the city (downtown London) within the first week of applying and is getting good experience under her belt whilst earning decent money. She won't be staying here for ever (at least I hope not.....I can't keep her forever :) ) 

Unlike Canada, the UK will not ask you to take a local course / qualification....it will accept yours and, right now, the UK government are opening up special fast track visas just to attract people just like you. Something well worth considering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

you need work experience. Maybe volunteer and get that on your resume.

Become a volunteer

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3333036360071791&substory_index=0&id=108315175877275&__tn__=%2As%2As-R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Sikhist

I was jobless for more than a year - and I was in the same position as you. One thing I regret is the time i wasted worrying and sitting around aimlessly waiting for callbacks. Don't waste this time it might not ever come again. Make your nitnem pakka (you have the time to do it now) . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh
On 2/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, Guest Sikhist said:

I was jobless for more than a year - and I was in the same position as you. One thing I regret is the time i wasted worrying and sitting around aimlessly waiting for callbacks. Don't waste this time it might not ever come again. Make your nitnem pakka (you have the time to do it now) . 

I told him (the OP) what he needs to do in the 5th message here:

Don't lose heart man.....put things in perspective. Canada is a notoriously difficult country to find a graduate job in. Every graduate I know there had to receive literally thousands of rejections before they finally found a job. The good thing is that race doesn't play as big a part in the recruitment process as it does in the UK and USA but unfortunately networking plays too big a part.  So, firstly, accept that it's part of the norm as far as job-hunting in Canada is concerned and secondly, from my experience with many other graduates from Canada there are 2 options open for you (and they are seriously worth your time exploring):

1) Think about applying for a job in the USA (given your location, New York ?)

2) Do what a lot of Punjabi Canadian graduates from the west coast have done and apply to live and work in London. Not for ever but it will give you a decent job and, after a year or so, you will have that experience that will hold you in good stead or walking into a job back in Canada. I'm saying this because we've got my wife's Canadian cousin living with us right now. She's moved in with us because she couldn't find an accountancy job back in Canada so came here, walked into a job in the city (downtown London) within the first week of applying and is getting good experience under her belt whilst earning decent money. She won't be staying here for ever (at least I hope not.....I can't keep her forever :) ) 

Unlike Canada, the UK will not ask you to take a local course / qualification....it will accept yours and, right now, the UK government are opening up special fast track visas just to attract people just like you. Something well worth considering.

 

If he can't even be ar$ed to give me and the others here a thank you or an update I would say he's actually quite lazy and that probably explains why nobody's giving him a job. If he asks a question here and then just walks away without acknowledging anything you can probably bet that that's his nature and he's like that in everything he does. All things considered, doesn't strike me as a man that puts any effort into anything. From what I can see......if I was a boss....I don't think I'd give him a job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, Guest Sikhist said:

 Make your nitnem pakka (you have the time to do it now) . 

exactly, when you work it becomes more difficult. I have to resort to listening to nitnem in my car now, or public transpiort, depending on my job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bro, people not getting a job for a year or so after graduating isn't uncommon at all. It happened to me too.  

Then once you get a job, you'll probably be dreaming of the time when you didn't have all the headache that the situation now entails!

Make the most of your free time while it lasts. Keep developing any skills you have even further and keep plugging away. It'll happen when Waheguru plans it to happen if you keep your end of the deal up. 

Do some awesome things in the meanwhile, and the bhagti is alway something solid that gives you benefits in untold ways for life. It's not like some ritual thing that guarantees x,y,z material thing or objective. You'll get that, and often when you do, you learn that money comes and goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest SinghSardar
On 2/14/2020 at 8:22 AM, Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh said:

I told him (the OP) what he needs to do in the 5th message here:

Don't lose heart man.....put things in perspective. Canada is a notoriously difficult country to find a graduate job in. Every graduate I know there had to receive literally thousands of rejections before they finally found a job. The good thing is that race doesn't play as big a part in the recruitment process as it does in the UK and USA but unfortunately networking plays too big a part.  So, firstly, accept that it's part of the norm as far as job-hunting in Canada is concerned and secondly, from my experience with many other graduates from Canada there are 2 options open for you (and they are seriously worth your time exploring):

1) Think about applying for a job in the USA (given your location, New York ?)

2) Do what a lot of Punjabi Canadian graduates from the west coast have done and apply to live and work in London. Not for ever but it will give you a decent job and, after a year or so, you will have that experience that will hold you in good stead or walking into a job back in Canada. I'm saying this because we've got my wife's Canadian cousin living with us right now. She's moved in with us because she couldn't find an accountancy job back in Canada so came here, walked into a job in the city (downtown London) within the first week of applying and is getting good experience under her belt whilst earning decent money. She won't be staying here for ever (at least I hope not.....I can't keep her forever :) ) 

Unlike Canada, the UK will not ask you to take a local course / qualification....it will accept yours and, right now, the UK government are opening up special fast track visas just to attract people just like you. Something well worth considering.

 

If he can't even be ar$ed to give me and the others here a thank you or an update I would say he's actually quite lazy and that probably explains why nobody's giving him a job. If he asks a question here and then just walks away without acknowledging anything you can probably bet that that's his nature and he's like that in everything he does. All things considered, doesn't strike me as a man that puts any effort into anything. From what I can see......if I was a boss....I don't think I'd give him a job.

I apologize for not replying. I don't frequent this site too much, and was continuing to apply/develop skills, and did not get around to check. But thank you and others for the replies.

Many good suggestions and I will continue to keep my nitnem pakka and possibly relocate to another country for a job. I suppose God has plans for everyone.

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Mr Australian Sengh

You live in T Dot the biggest city in canada and cant find a job.  Mite get any job and start making money. Dont sit around do nothing.  Employers like people that are employed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use