Finding a Job

Guest SinghSardar

Guest SinghSardar

WJKK WJKF,

Sangat Ji, I have been searching for a job for the last 6 months but I am struggling in the GTA (Greater Toronto). I graduated in Web Development, and am looking for a Front-End Developer job. I've tried networking, contacting recruiters, telling family/friends/others, applying, sending resumes and cover letters, but I am not sure what else to do.

I go to the Gurdwara everyday, and I refrain from smoking, drinking, etc. I try my best to be a good person, but I am losing my faith in this struggle in finding a job. I know we shouldn't always ask for something during Ardaas, but I don't know what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

WJKK WJKF

Ask something in ardaas.

God is your father. It behooves you to ask him for help. Beg him. 

Also if you did web development. Keep studying online. Learn coding,.IT security etc. There r many youtube videos about ppl who keep their skills up to date via online education and some find work online

See those videos and what they did.

Guest Someone

-do freelance work

-build a portfolio

-if you're not getting interviews, perhaps get your resume checked 

-don't limit yourself to front end development (for now), go for back end, full stack development roles too. If you're not confident in these areas, self teach yourself through online courses, YouTube, etc.

Hope this helps and good luck

VJKK VJKF

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Did you search

https://ca.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=web+developer&l=

If you can't find what you are looking for in GTA look beyond !

Otherwise start with whatever option you are getting. Truth is

Jithe daana paani likheya ohthe jana penda

http://www.khojgurbani.org/shabad/index/653/1711/author-5-dr-sant-singh-khalsa/author-2-prof-sahib-singh/language-gurmukhi?alias=ਨਕਿ+ਨਥ+ਖਸਮ+ਹਥ+ਕਿਰਤੁ+ਧਕੇ+ਦੇ+॥

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh
22 hours ago, Guest SinghSardar said:

WJKK WJKF,

Sangat Ji, I have been searching for a job for the last 6 months but I am struggling in the GTA (Greater Toronto). I graduated in Web Development, and am looking for a Front-End Developer job. I've tried networking, contacting recruiters, telling family/friends/others, applying, sending resumes and cover letters, but I am not sure what else to do.

I go to the Gurdwara everyday, and I refrain from smoking, drinking, etc. I try my best to be a good person, but I am losing my faith in this struggle in finding a job. I know we shouldn't always ask for something during Ardaas, but I don't know what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

WJKK WJKF

Don't lose heart man.....put things in perspective. Canada is a notoriously difficult country to find a graduate job in. Every graduate I know there had to receive literally thousands of rejections before they finally found a job. The good thing is that race doesn't play as big a part in the recruitment process as it does in the UK and USA but unfortunately networking plays too big a part.  So, firstly, accept that it's part of the norm as far as job-hunting in Canada is concerned and secondly, from my experience with many other graduates from Canada there are 2 options open for you (and they are seriously worth your time exploring):

1) Think about applying for a job in the USA (given your location, New York ?)

2) Do what a lot of Punjabi Canadian graduates from the west coast have done and apply to live and work in London. Not for ever but it will give you a decent job and, after a year or so, you will have that experience that will hold you in good stead or walking into a job back in Canada. I'm saying this because we've got my wife's Canadian cousin living with us right now. She's moved in with us because she couldn't find an accountancy job back in Canada so came here, walked into a job in the city (downtown London) within the first week of applying and is getting good experience under her belt whilst earning decent money. She won't be staying here for ever (at least I hope not.....I can't keep her forever :) ) 

Unlike Canada, the UK will not ask you to take a local course / qualification....it will accept yours and, right now, the UK government are opening up special fast track visas just to attract people just like you. Something well worth considering.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sikhist

I was jobless for more than a year - and I was in the same position as you. One thing I regret is the time i wasted worrying and sitting around aimlessly waiting for callbacks. Don't waste this time it might not ever come again. Make your nitnem pakka (you have the time to do it now) . 

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh
On 2/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, Guest Sikhist said:

I was jobless for more than a year - and I was in the same position as you. One thing I regret is the time i wasted worrying and sitting around aimlessly waiting for callbacks. Don't waste this time it might not ever come again. Make your nitnem pakka (you have the time to do it now) . 

I told him (the OP) what he needs to do in the 5th message here:

Don't lose heart man.....put things in perspective. Canada is a notoriously difficult country to find a graduate job in. Every graduate I know there had to receive literally thousands of rejections before they finally found a job. The good thing is that race doesn't play as big a part in the recruitment process as it does in the UK and USA but unfortunately networking plays too big a part.  So, firstly, accept that it's part of the norm as far as job-hunting in Canada is concerned and secondly, from my experience with many other graduates from Canada there are 2 options open for you (and they are seriously worth your time exploring):

1) Think about applying for a job in the USA (given your location, New York ?)

2) Do what a lot of Punjabi Canadian graduates from the west coast have done and apply to live and work in London. Not for ever but it will give you a decent job and, after a year or so, you will have that experience that will hold you in good stead or walking into a job back in Canada. I'm saying this because we've got my wife's Canadian cousin living with us right now. She's moved in with us because she couldn't find an accountancy job back in Canada so came here, walked into a job in the city (downtown London) within the first week of applying and is getting good experience under her belt whilst earning decent money. She won't be staying here for ever (at least I hope not.....I can't keep her forever :) ) 

Unlike Canada, the UK will not ask you to take a local course / qualification....it will accept yours and, right now, the UK government are opening up special fast track visas just to attract people just like you. Something well worth considering.

If he can't even be ar$ed to give me and the others here a thank you or an update I would say he's actually quite lazy and that probably explains why nobody's giving him a job. If he asks a question here and then just walks away without acknowledging anything you can probably bet that that's his nature and he's like that in everything he does. All things considered, doesn't strike me as a man that puts any effort into anything. From what I can see......if I was a boss....I don't think I'd give him a job.