Student accommodation required in Birmingham UK

Balait_da_Sher

14 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

I was once stranded in Birmingham as all trains stopped due to stormy weather/snow. So I had to stay 1 night  to catch the next train the following day to London. 

Guess what I tried the Soho gurdwara in Bham if they had a place to stay for the night as could not a find a hotel at such short notice. I was just fobbed off and told all rooms are gone and also given a rude look. Like I shouldn't have asked. 

Those people at that Gurdwara are very hostile to everyone for some reason.

Eventually ended up finding a a good Airbnb which came in handy. 

Wow that is really unfortunate.

Anybody bored and local enough to record themselves there in a "similar situation"?

I guess this op just needs to be connected with Sangat, but still Veer Ji, I can't believe they'd treat you like that. Lameness. 

13 hours ago, Balait_da_Sher said:

Thanks all. He has found accomodation. He will share a house with few other students from India to minimize costs.

It seems like a lot of Apne are trying to make a quick buck out of Indian students. He was quoted almost £300/month by one Singh and that was sharing a room with another student.

He also said that he got a lot of stares at the gurdwara. There has been a large influx of students in UK due to change in English requirements. I don't think the existing Punjabis are warming up to the idea.

Glad he found something. Maybe all these Punjabi students can remind the locals how to behave. 

5 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

After the frankly disgraceful behaviour exhibited toward Sikh students (who weren't whoring or being idiots) who travel overseas to places like Canada, the pardhaan at my local Gurdwara has laid down the law to the interfering, rude, old busy bodies who treat the langar hall as a community centre throughout the week, i.e. don't treat the students like dirt, and if they need langar, serve it to them minus any commentary or ill feeling. The fact that they need telling is mind boggling.

Wow! Where is this? 

In one way I'm not surprised at the local reaction. For a while now, it looks like these dodgy 'colleges' that have sprung up all over the place seem like frauds. Many immigrant students seem to enroll on them just to get some stay here. Often they don't even have a sufficient grasp of English to understand the lectures they attend, let alone pass assignments.  And they go for loans that are easily available for higher courses like HNDs - getting them into further debt.

As highlighted in that video I posted, the establishment here isn't going to complain because they are getting funds from abroad invested into the country, and we all know a lot of the people who do this from our community have flogged off land back home. So for the people whose dreams don't come true, it's another financial drainage from Panjab outwards.

Plus, given that the average pendus dream is to be a builder here - a market pretty much saturated as it is, with existing labour from apnay and eastern Europeans, they are taking serious risks. As we know from recent tragic events, getting knocked is common, and people seem to naturally want to exploit vulnerable others. 

29 minutes ago, Balait_da_Sher said:

My main issue is the hypocritical attitude of desis. How many came through the lorries or other means and now are resenting students for wanting the same.

There is no denying that large number of the students are not genuine but at least they have a chance to do something else here than in Punjab.

I hear you, but we keep coming back to persistent and long term economic failings in Panjab itself - a state that is run and administered by apnay themselves. We know we have (at least some!) brains back home; we know that our people can graft like the best of them, but with all the nepotism and casteism that now appears normalised/calcified over there, there is a deadlock. It does not have to be like this. This is a cultural issue that needs to be addressed and resolved. No amount of escape behaviour by apnay will resolve this. These issues appear to be self-inflicted from what I can see?

And those 'back of a lorry' demographics are alien to me. None of my family came in that way. I think we are talking about a particular, uneducated (and importantly unskilled) rural demographic here (even if it has become a big one now). This approach to dealing with failings back home isn't sustainable.  

corruption starts of at national level in india and then trickles down to state level and from state level it spreads into the towns and villages. Corruption is deeply routed in that country, in fact this exists in most 3rd world countries. 

corruption is part of the culture there,  i think indians dont know how to run countries because they never ran a country for a 1000yrs.

i think india is beyond repair, corruption is deeply embedded in the way of life there, its too late.    didn't sonia gandhi have crazy amount of money stashed in foreign banks?  that country has no hope....

its a shame because before the invasions india was a land of discovery, spiritual discussion and debate  with its own unique culture. 

knocking your own people down is also another trait shared by most people from 3rd world countries. Blacks, pakis, somalis, hindus they all do it. not sure why this is.   people from 3rd world countries seem to all have similar traits. i know a few black people and they all say how blacks bring other blacks down. pakis are the same.   

i think a lot of the indians here who came decades ago are maybe envious of the newer ones? indians decades ago worked harder, faced racism, poverty, they had to build communities themselves,   i dunno ...  

west is the best place to live. 

14 minutes ago, puzzled said:

corruption starts of at national level in india and then trickles down to state level and from state level it spreads into the towns and villages. Corruption is deeply routed in that country, in fact this exists in most 3rd world countries. 

corruption is part of the culture there,  i think indians dont know how to run countries because they never ran a country for a 1000yrs.

knocking your own people down is also another trait shared by most people from 3rd world countries. Blacks, pakis, somalis, hindus they all do it. not sure why this is.   people from 3rd world countries seem to all have similar traits. i know a few black people and they all say how blacks bring other blacks down. pakis are the same.   

i think a lot of the indians here who came decades ago are maybe envious of the newer ones? indians decades ago worked harder, faced racism, poverty, they had to build communities themselves,   i dunno ...  

west is the best place to live. 

If we don't have a sense of pride in our own 'nation' then we are guaranteed to create dysfunctional/substandard societies. Our community taking ownership for our own condition is an absolute requisite. Just because other states/communities are corrupted in certain ways, it doesn't mean we have to follow this path ourselves. True regional pride matters and makes a difference, but if we keep following selfish, sociopathic thinking, can we really complain about our state. 

Look at the grooming situation in the UK as an example microcosm. Other communities (like paks and anglos) persistently turned a blind eye, whilst some of our own persistently tried to confront and challenge the issue. The former groups helped the rot spread nationwide for decades, but at least we can say some of our own active brothers and sisters did what they could to limit the damage. Not only did this impact the targeting of our community, it also created a culture where these things were less likely to be excused amongst ourselves.

I think people back home often have a 'learned helplessness' attitude towards our issues, blaming everyone so that they don't have to go through the hard work of trying to resolve the issues themselves? Nothing is set in stone, and every progress made by any society is usually the result of years of consistent hard work, effort and campaigning. If we don't do anything out of a sense of helplessness, then problems don't only fester, but they have a tendency to grow in significant ways, creating even more issues to contend with down the line.