Sign in to follow this  
puzzled

Mansha Singh

What was the name of the Singh who during the time of massa rangar used to swim across the sarovar to light a divaa in Harmandir sahib. I think massa rangars men eventually caught him ...

Iv forgotten it 

3 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Swami Singh?

no its not that i just checked.   Theres a painting of him swimming in the sarvovar as well 

found it!    his name was Bhai Mansha Singh       there is absolutely no information about him whatsoever, not even a single article, unless he was known by another name too ?

when massa ranghar invaded Harmandir Sahib Bhai Mansha Singh used to secretly swim across the sarovar to light a jot in Harmandir Sahib, he did this on a daily bases and was eventually caught by the massa ranghars men and killed  he became shaheed in 1743. 

spaceout.gif

3273968823_2c3b35aa1c_o.jpg

DFKScV4XcAAbXDH?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, puzzled said:

found it!    his name was Bhai Mansha Singh       there is absolutely no information about him whatsoever, not even a single article, unless he was known by another name too ?

when massa ranghar invaded Harmandir Sahib Bhai Mansha Singh used to secretly swim across the sarovar to light a jot in Harmandir Sahib, he did this on a daily bases and was eventually caught by the massa ranghars men and killed  he became shaheed in 1743. 

spaceout.gif

3273968823_2c3b35aa1c_o.jpg

DFKScV4XcAAbXDH?format=jpg&name=900x900

It should be noted that Harmandir Sahib didn't have the gold covering that it is now famous for, at the time. Maharajah Ranjit Singh had that put on at a much later date (and in obviously better circumstances for Sikhs in Amritsar!). 

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

It should be noted that Harmandir Sahib didn't have the gold covering that it is now famous for, at the time. Maharajah Ranjit Singh had that put on at a much later date (and in obviously better circumstances for Sikhs in Amritsar!). 

yh painting isn't accurate, I'd imagine harmandir sahib was a simply brick structure back then. In those dark times sikhs had no time  to create a beautiful building, with local muslims, mughals and afghans hunting sikhs down from all direction. plus around this time many sikhs had gone and started living in forest areas, near rivers and rajasthan. 

there was another painting on mansha singh swimming towards harmandir sahib, cant find it online though. cant find absolutely anything about him online.  

i had been looking for his name since the day i posted this, i was gnna give up yesterday and then i asked guru gobind singh ji what his name was and around 3 mins later i came across this painting. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, puzzled said:

yh painting isn't accurate,

What proper does my head in is paintings of old Singhs that have the 'modren' khanda symbol on their dastaars and jhanday, I mean, a little historical research wouldn't kill an artist.......

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

What proper does my head in is paintings of old Singhs that have the 'modren' khanda symbol on their dastaars and jhanday, I mean, a little historical research wouldn't kill an artist.......

Yh that annoyed me when I saw it at the fort at anandpur sahib. Why would a 17th century fort have a khanda on it lol.

I think older generation wouldn't be happy with a lot of puratan stuff. Sikh leaders in the last century almost became bhramin phobic and any practise or tradition which remotely reminded them of hinduism they wiped it out.  Its one of the reasons why dasam bani got shoved to the side. 

Just like how the post that I posted about mansha singh, about him lighting jot at harmandir sahib and then sikhs questioning it because it's a bhaman practise. 

The war banners of the khalsa army during majaraja ranjit singhs time used to have kali mata and other war goddesses on it, imagine bringing that back today! It would cause a riot lmao. 

Couple of years back old wall paintings at tarn taran darbar sahib of hindu mythology were whitewashed and painted over with sikh ithiaasic scenes. 

My told me that in the local gurdwara when she was a kid they used to have a shankh shell in the gurdwara. 

These images were symbols of war, nothing more. 

Not that your average sikh cared, but leaders didnt want sikhi to be seen as a sect of hindu dharam  which is understandable especially with all the events in the first half of the last century. 

Theres even a sikh flag from maharaja ranjit singhs time with hanuman on it.

But younger people are less "insecure" about these things.  

12 hours ago, puzzled said:

Yh that annoyed me when I saw it at the fort at anandpur sahib. Why would a 17th century fort have a khanda on it lol.

I think older generation wouldn't be happy with a lot of puratan stuff. Sikh leaders in the last century almost became bhramin phobic and any practise or tradition which remotely reminded them of hinduism they wiped it out.  Its one of the reasons why dasam bani got shoved to the side. 

Just like how the post that I posted about mansha singh, about him lighting jot at harmandir sahib and then sikhs questioning it because it's a bhaman practise. 

The war banners of the khalsa army during majaraja ranjit singhs time used to have kali mata and other war goddesses on it, imagine bringing that back today! It would cause a riot lmao. 

Couple of years back old wall paintings at tarn taran darbar sahib of hindu mythology were whitewashed and painted over with sikh ithiaasic scenes. 

My told me that in the local gurdwara when she was a kid they used to have a shankh shell in the gurdwara. 

These images were symbols of war, nothing more. 

Not that your average sikh cared, but leaders didnt want sikhi to be seen as a sect of hindu dharam  which is understandable especially with all the events in the first half of the last century. 

Theres even a sikh flag from maharaja ranjit singhs time with hanuman on it.

But younger people are less "insecure" about these things.  

at that time ALL gurdwaraey used jot for lighting   , some punjabis are so dense ... It is more important to have nagara than shank anyhow . Brahmins did their utmost to reinstate their prejudical treatment of folks when they became willing MAHANTS under British raj   and also brought murtian of devtey (the ones that were brought into harmandir Sahib ended up in durgiana mandir I heard .) That is why Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh did morcha against the people running harmandir sahib preventing 'low caste ' sikhs from getting degh or giving degh for blessing. then you had Saka Nankana sahib and saka Guru ka Bagh .  They've been trying since time of Guru Nanak Dev ji to subvert our panth.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

at that time ALL gurdwaraey used jot for lighting   , some punjabis are so dense ... It is more important to have nagara than shank anyhow . Brahmins did their utmost to reinstate their prejudical treatment of folks when they became willing MAHANTS under British raj   and also brought murtian of devtey (the ones that were brought into harmandir Sahib ended up in durgiana mandir I heard .) That is why Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh did morcha against the people running harmandir sahib preventing 'low caste ' sikhs from getting degh or giving degh for blessing. then you had Saka Nankana sahib and saka Guru ka Bagh .  They've been trying since time of Guru Nanak Dev ji to subvert our panth.

yh thats what i mean, the reform movements happened because of everything that was happening back then. but in the process some leaders kinda became anti bhaman and removed anything which reminded them of bhamans like lighting  jot.

arya samaj, rss, used hindu dharam as a political thing at that time, muslims in the cities started clashing with hindus, british missionaries started converting hindus etc   so things like arya samaj and rss used their dharam as a political tool to tackle what they saw as a threat to their dharam,  this is when they started calling Guru Gobind Singh ji a desh bhakt    i think they thought by making sikhi a sect of hindu it will give hindu demography a boost in punjab.    on top of that the massands.  so reform movements like singh sabha did what they had to do. but in the process they put aside dasam bani and did other things.  

not much changed in pinds tho, people light jot in the gurdware to this day and some have things like shankh as well as nagara. people still use things like pang and afeem for desi treatment in pinds while urban sikhs in those days started turning their noses up to these things.   it was how urban lot practiced sikhi that was reformed the most. 

1 hour ago, puzzled said:

yh thats what i mean, the reform movements happened because of everything that was happening back then. but in the process some leaders kinda became anti bhaman and removed anything which reminded them of bhamans like lighting  jot.

arya samaj, rss, used hindu dharam as a political thing at that time, muslims in the cities started clashing with hindus, british missionaries started converting hindus etc   so things like arya samaj and rss used their dharam as a political tool to tackle what they saw as a threat to their dharam,  this is when they started calling Guru Gobind Singh ji a desh bhakt    i think they thought by making sikhi a sect of hindu it will give hindu demography a boost in punjab.    on top of that the massands.  so reform movements like singh sabha did what they had to do. but in the process they put aside dasam bani and did other things.  

not much changed in pinds tho, people light jot in the gurdware to this day and some have things like shankh as well as nagara. people still use things like pang and afeem for desi treatment in pinds while urban sikhs in those days started turning their noses up to these things.   it was how urban lot practiced sikhi that was reformed the most. 

delhi sikhs are idiots they are now asking sirsa to demand Chandni Chowk to shaheedi Chowk , I said to them the only reason people remember Chandi Chowk is through the Mahan Shahadat of gursikhs and Guru Sahib , they are too dense to realise that removing the name is also removing the marker of the history .

8 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

delhi sikhs are idiots they are now asking sirsa to demand Chandni Chowk to shaheedi Chowk , I said to them the only reason people remember Chandi Chowk is through the Mahan Shahadat of gursikhs and Guru Sahib , they are too dense to realise that removing the name is also removing the marker of the history .

They are a strange bunch. This sikh lady from chandigarh was surprised that I dont drink    she said how can you be a sardar and not drink alcohol.  I really was speechless. She then asked me why I dont tie my dhari up.    Sikhs/indians from the cities are weirdos 

On 2/15/2020 at 12:57 AM, MisterrSingh said:

Swami Singh?

I see what u did there. 

Swam-i singh

I had heard that there was also a time when sikhs would go take ishnaan at harmandar sahib to thumb their noses at the guards. But this woukd be the time when the sarovar was not filled up in the seige. 

Also that there was a grouo of singhs. And they woukd go each night to light the jot. And would get captures each time...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, puzzled said:

There is still jot in Gurdwara Ber Sahib and I think in most gurdwarey I've been , My Nani used to do jot as well in House Gurdwara  never seen people saying this is hindu mat . Even Nani ji would keep jaal da kumbh next to akhand path , later I read that this is old school mat.

5 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

I see what u did there. 

Swam-i singh

I had heard that there was also a time when sikhs would go take ishnaan at harmandar sahib to thumb their noses at the guards. But this woukd be the time when the sarovar was not filled up in the seige. 

Also that there was a grouo of singhs. And they woukd go each night to light the jot. And would get captures each time...

I heard some Singhs used to openly charge towards the sarovar to get isnaan despite it being heavily guarded and obtain shaheedi.