Dual Identity (Sikh/Hindu)

Guest Amritpal Singh

Guest Amritpal Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I come from a Hindu family, but have never been very attached to Hinduism. I was born and raised in India, and I lived in Punjab through my childhood and adolescence. Since I was in Punjab, I was surrounded by Sikh people. Naturally, I also learned Punjabi during those years. Over the years, I gradually got more and more fascinated by the Sikh faith. I really liked the Sikhi ideas of equality and sharing with everyone regardless of their background. I would watch my neighbor tying his patka; I would watch another neighbor tying his turban, so that I could learn to tie them myself. I even borrowed (technically, stole) a patka from my landlord's son, so that I could tie it on myself (I know I shouldn't have done that, but I just wanted to put to practice what I had been learning). The point is, my connection to Sikhi grew stronger as I went on. Naturally, my family never knew about all this, so it was all a secret exercise.

Four years ago, I moved to Germany for my studies. In the beginning, I forgot much about Sikhi, but in the last few months, the connection has been stronger than ever before. Since I had my privacy, I ordered 2 patkas, turbans and a kara online to start to tie them. I'm still learning to tie a turban (watching someone tie a turban and actually tying it are two very different things). But in the meantime, I am trying to wear a patka every day when I'm home. When I'm outside, I'm my original self -- the guy with cut hair who has a job, but at home, it's like I'm another person -- I have a patka on (with a fake joora, but I love the feeling of having virtual hair on my head). I go to sleep in a patka but I'll be learning how to tie a keski. I am also learning turban tying on the weekends and am learning Japji Sahib, so that I can chant the Guru's name every day. I have also chosen an alternative Sikh name for myself - Amritpal Singh.

Deep within, I feel like Waheguru has been leading me to get closer to him through all these experiences. It's just that I have two lives -- one where I am Sikh, and the other where I am a not-so-religious Hindu.

My question is: What can I do to be a better Sikh while I am a Sikh? I know I am not a baptized Sikh and don't keep the 5 Ks, but I do respect Sikhi and try to follow it seriously in my private time.

If you have any other general comments, I'd be glad to hear them and take them into account.

Thanks for your help!

Amritpal Singh

On 2/29/2020 at 2:15 PM, Guest Amritpal Singh said:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I come from a Hindu family, but have never been very attached to Hinduism. I was born and raised in India, and I lived in Punjab through my childhood and adolescence. Since I was in Punjab, I was surrounded by Sikh people. Naturally, I also learned Punjabi during those years. Over the years, I gradually got more and more fascinated by the Sikh faith. I really liked the Sikhi ideas of equality and sharing with everyone regardless of their background. I would watch my neighbor tying his patka; I would watch another neighbor tying his turban, so that I could learn to tie them myself. I even borrowed (technically, stole) a patka from my landlord's son, so that I could tie it on myself (I know I shouldn't have done that, but I just wanted to put to practice what I had been learning). The point is, my connection to Sikhi grew stronger as I went on. Naturally, my family never knew about all this, so it was all a secret exercise.

Four years ago, I moved to Germany for my studies. In the beginning, I forgot much about Sikhi, but in the last few months, the connection has been stronger than ever before. Since I had my privacy, I ordered 2 patkas, turbans and a kara online to start to tie them. I'm still learning to tie a turban (watching someone tie a turban and actually tying it are two very different things). But in the meantime, I am trying to wear a patka every day when I'm home. When I'm outside, I'm my original self -- the guy with cut hair who has a job, but at home, it's like I'm another person -- I have a patka on (with a fake joora, but I love the feeling of having virtual hair on my head). I go to sleep in a patka but I'll be learning how to tie a keski. I am also learning turban tying on the weekends and am learning Japji Sahib, so that I can chant the Guru's name every day. I have also chosen an alternative Sikh name for myself - Amritpal Singh.

Deep within, I feel like Waheguru has been leading me to get closer to him through all these experiences. It's just that I have two lives -- one where I am Sikh, and the other where I am a not-so-religious Hindu.

My question is: What can I do to be a better Sikh while I am a Sikh? I know I am not a baptized Sikh and don't keep the 5 Ks, but I do respect Sikhi and try to follow it seriously in my private time.

If you have any other general comments, I'd be glad to hear them and take them into account.

Thanks for your help!

Amritpal Singh

Religion is an illusion. 

There is no religion, only 1 truth.