Have you ever experienced sikhphobia?

genie

Not really sikhphobic but I get odd looks from mostly middle aged white people    it used to happen when I was mona aswell but I get a lot more prople staring now than b4.

It actually feels uncomfortable going to towns with mainly white population because of the way they look at you. I avoid white areas... 

I feel sorry for Sikhs that are living in random places with no diversity. Imagine living in one of those areas with lots of farms and cottages  lol    

1 minute ago, puzzled said:

Not really sikhphobic but I get odd looks from mostly middle aged white people    it used to happen when I was mona aswell but I get a lot more prople staring now than b4.

It actually feels uncomfortable going to towns with mainly white population because of the way they look at you. I avoid white areas... 

I feel sorry for Sikhs that are living in random places with no diversity. Imagine living in one of those areas with lots of farms and cottages  lol    

I hear that, i think that change mostly happened just after the 9/11/2001 attacks by islamics and then we had very low IQ racist people that saw all turbanned brown people as "mozlems". Then we had 7/7/2005 attacks by islamics in the UK and we and had gurdwaray attacked and some sikhs attacked by racist whites but it wasnt as bad as it could have been had Sikhs not had good history with the UK public.

This may surprise some people but the only times i've personally experienced Sikhphobia is when the aggressor has been a muslim. It was muslims being anti-sikh and anti-anything non-muslim during school years that awakened my interest in Sikhi and learn the negative teachings and aspects of islam. I wanted to find out why they were hating on me as a Sikh and other non-muslims. Before then I just saw muslims as the same mostly as me, mostly brown south asian people just different religions but after seeing how their faith had made them extremists against us I then started to learn about Sikhi and learnt how great our faith was and huge sacrifices our people had made defending it against islam's overt intolerance.

And If you analyse most of the violent attacks on Sikhs in the west vast majority has been done by muslims and the rest by white ethno-nationalist racist types. So when people wonder why we don't have much time for islam and why we call out muslim crimes against our people. Its because our community is a targeted community by this group of people and we have every right to defend ourselves and identify the aggressors and call out their crimes against our community.

9 hours ago, puzzled said:

I lived in a village south of Oxford for a few years, me and the wife were pretty much the only brown people for mile's, we expected to face racism and hate but we got the exact opposite, we felt more accepted there than you think you would, i think it's down to individual experience and education of the local population.

Have a Pagh does however have it's advantages, i get two seats to myself on the train to work most morning's, just saying..

1 hour ago, kcmidlands said:

I lived in a village south of Oxford for a few years, me and the wife were pretty much the only brown people for mile's, we expected to face racism and hate but we got the exact opposite, we felt more accepted there than you think you would, i think it's down to individual experience and education of the local population.

Have a Pagh does however have it's advantages, i get two seats to myself on the train to work most morning's, just saying..

That's a common experience. The tolerance starts to dwindle at a point when the numbers increase to an amount that makes people feel uncomfortable. I think they perceive it as some sort of precursor to a takeover? 

Also, Sikhs are often the first people to move into areas and because of certain characteristics, they are usually received well (in comparative terms, and not usually without the initial xenophobic reactions). Then other people come and follow, and often ruin an area. 

My nephew just went from mona to dastaar, and he tells me that he is received very differently now. Even by people who knew him for a long time when he was mona (i.e. work associates) and on the tube.

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

My nephew just went from mona to dastaar, and he tells me that he is received very differently now. Even by people who knew him for a long time when he was mona (i.e. work associates) and on the tube.

It's a strange thing, I've had young girls walk behind or beside me when they feel threatened (i'm not a big guy), maybe because Sikhs are associated with being protectors but the same people won't even say hello to you because of your turban.

17 hours ago, genie said:

I hear that, i think that change mostly happened just after the 9/11/2001 attacks by islamics and then we had very low IQ racist people that saw all turbanned brown people as "mozlems". Then we had 7/7/2005 attacks by islamics in the UK and we and had gurdwaray attacked and some sikhs attacked by racist whites but it wasnt as bad as it could have been had Sikhs not had good history with the UK public.

This may surprise some people but the only times i've personally experienced Sikhphobia is when the aggressor has been a muslim. It was muslims being anti-sikh and anti-anything non-muslim during school years that awakened my interest in Sikhi and learn the negative teachings and aspects of islam. I wanted to find out why they were hating on me as a Sikh and other non-muslims. Before then I just saw muslims as the same mostly as me, mostly brown south asian people just different religions but after seeing how their faith had made them extremists against us I then started to learn about Sikhi and learnt how great our faith was and huge sacrifices our people had made defending it against islam's overt intolerance.

And If you analyse most of the violent attacks on Sikhs in the west vast majority has been done by muslims and the rest by white ethno-nationalist racist types. So when people wonder why we don't have much time for islam and why we call out muslim crimes against our people. Its because our community is a targeted community by this group of people and we have every right to defend ourselves and identify the aggressors and call out their crimes against our community.

yh the muslim thing,  in school we had pakistani kids say stuff now and then. sikhs and hindus were a minority in our school and the vast majority were pakistanis.  not sure if they were anti sikh/hindu or anti india  or both   but it was hard to tell sometimes. we once had a paki boy during RE lesson say that hindus are dumb and stupid, he got suspended for a bit.   they would be sarcastic and say stuff to us like does your god have lots of arms and heads etc   making jokes about sikh names etc   around the time of india/pakistan cricket matches  it used to get a lot worse!  i remember a full rally of paki guys walking through the play ground shouting out things like "india is a b@stard"    my pakistani "friends" just used to turn their faces away from me and laugh 

the thing is the arab and moroccan and somali kids were never bad towards the sikh/hindu kids   it was only the paki kids that behaved like that.

with wahegurus kirpa we have 2 sikh schools now in the area