Sign in to follow this  
puzzled

Food stalls india

My grandma tells me how there were some gujjars in her pind and they made tea for people. My grandma saw them spiting in the water or milk

2 hours ago, AkalkiFauj said:

My grandma tells me how there were some gujjars in her pind and they made tea for people. My grandma saw them spiting in the water or milk

That's disgusting,  the whole country is just cursed beyond repair    

I saw a video of a kitchen in a dhabba where they were kneading the dough with their feet.

I only eat roti made by my mum in india, the ladies that people hire to clean the house and make roti are not very hygienic either! They itch themselves while making roti.  And they dont wash their hands after sticking the dried cow pat under the chula  lol    its nasty.  

6 hours ago, puzzled said:

I saw a video of a kitchen in a dhabba where they were kneading the dough with their feet.

I only eat roti made by my mum in india, the ladies that people hire to clean the house and make roti are not very hygienic either! They itch themselves while making roti.  And they dont wash their hands after sticking the dried cow pat under the chula  lol    its nasty.  

Gives it that earthy flavor lol. 

8 hours ago, puzzled said:

I think Rehit Maryada says we only should eat food prepared ourselves or by other Gurmukhs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

I think Rehit Maryada says we only should eat food prepared ourselves or by other Gurmukhs

Makes sense hygienically, energetically, and in terms of fending off poisoning attempts. 

in the west obviously most people are hygienic, but i have to say in india only religious sikhs are hygienic tbh. Pinds are cleaner than the shehrs, shehrs are filthy. Gurdware in general are cleaner than mansirs and darghas. mandirs and dargahs are not very clean.

My nani was amritdhari and was very hygienic, always washed her hands before making roti, made sure her chunni wasnt on the floor when kneeling down and cooking, rolled the bottom of her salwar slightly up when cleaning. always washed her hands, her daughter inlaw   my mami was the complete opposite, my mami wasnt a sikh and her salwar used to be covered in cow dung and whatever dirt she dragged around with her from the floor. she never washed her hands, i dont even think she brushed her teeth or washed everyday.    horrible. 

5 hours ago, puzzled said:

in the west obviously most people are hygienic, but i have to say in india only religious sikhs are hygienic tbh. Pinds are cleaner than the shehrs, shehrs are filthy. Gurdware in general are cleaner than mansirs and darghas. mandirs and dargahs are not very clean.

My nani was amritdhari and was very hygienic, always washed her hands before making roti, made sure her chunni wasnt on the floor when kneeling down and cooking, rolled the bottom of her salwar slightly up when cleaning. always washed her hands, her daughter inlaw   my mami was the complete opposite, my mami wasnt a sikh and her salwar used to be covered in cow dung and whatever dirt she dragged around with her from the floor. she never washed her hands, i dont even think she brushed her teeth or washed everyday.    horrible. 

how did your nani says han to that bahu ? ...I agree generally religious sikhs have better hygiene than most  . I've found and its has been a source of amusement to be called 'a dirty paki' by a scruffy unwashed nose encrusted white lads who reeked of stale pee and ish as a kid  in the playground growing up when all I smelt of was soap and comfort fabric conditioner  . Even now I notice that goray visiting Indian Gurdwarey are taken aback by the level of cleaning we do in langar and parikarma etc not to mention at darbar Sahib .

15 hours ago, puzzled said:

My nani was amritdhari and was very hygienic, always washed her hands before making roti, made sure her wasnt on the floor when kneeling down and cooking, rolled the bottom of her salwar slightly up when cleaning. always washed her hands, her daughter inlaw   my mami was the complete opposite, my mami wasnt a sikh and her salwar used to be covered in cow dung and whatever dirt she dragged around with her from the floor. she never washed her hands, i dont even think she brushed her teeth or washed everyday.    horrible. 

Western people are not a lot of them very hygienic

a lot don’t wash hands before eating food or after going toilet

in India it’s mainly only the poor who are not hygienic in my experience

13 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

how did your nani says han to that bahu ? ...I agree generally religious sikhs have better hygiene than most  . I've found and its has been a source of amusement to be called 'a dirty paki' by a scruffy unwashed nose encrusted white lads who reeked of stale pee and ish as a kid  in the playground growing up when all I smelt of was soap and comfort fabric conditioner  . Even now I notice that goray visiting Indian Gurdwarey are taken aback by the level of cleaning we do in langar and parikarma etc not to mention at darbar Sahib .

My mami is from a sikh family but she never lived as a sikh. She believed in devi devte and used to do pooja of the photos of durga and Lakshmi in her room. She also followed a lot of dera type babeh and used to go to them for advice. She used to have weird superstitions like she kept stones under her pillow, didnt wash her hair certain days, the manjha had to be positioned certain way.   Every decision she made she used to consult the pakandi babeh and Matas first. Got kundli made for her kids. When her son was getting married she set the date according to the kundli. Marriage ended up divorced and he soon died. Fat load of help the kundli was ...

The number of times she read japji sahib she probably can count it on one hand.   My nani on the other hand was a amritdhari and because of their different beliefs they clashed a lot.

Hygiene was definitely one thing my nani used to have a go at her for  but she never listened, she never even used to wash her hands b4 making roti.

My nani used to wake up 3am in the morning do nitnem, sweep the house, sweep the path leading from our house all the way to the pind the gurdwara and clean the gurdwara with bucket and water and cloth  and then come back, my mami on the other hand used to role out of bed at 9am.

My nani did a lot of dhaan aswell  she gave a lot of money to the poor ravidassia community to help get their daughters married off, she helped so many poor people from her pind go abroad by giving them money  even all the way back in the 60s and 70s.  To this day we used to have NRI bazurgs who my nani helped move abroad back in the 60s and 70s visit our house because they they were so grateful. 

My mami on the other hand used to take wheat, almonds, money and what not and give it to the babeh she followed. She gave so much money to these fake babeh and matas!

Never met 2 women so different yet in the same house! 

4 minutes ago, puzzled said:

My mami is from a sikh family but she never lived as a sikh. She believed in devi devte and used to do pooja of the photos of durga and Lakshmi in her room. She also followed a lot of dera type babeh and used to go to them for advice. She used to have weird superstitions like she kept stones under her pillow, didnt wash her hair certain days, the manjha had to be positioned certain way.   Every decision she made she used to consult the pakandi babeh and Matas first. Got kundli made for her kids. When her son was getting married she set the date according to the kundli. Marriage ended up divorced and he soon died. Fat load of help the kundli was ...

I hate to break it to you, but I'm guessing she wasn't visiting these individuals and places for a chat over a cuppa and some biscuits. Safe to say she was involved in witchcraft based on what you've described.