How to meet new sangat

Guest Anon

Waheguru ji ki khalsa 

Waheguru ji ki fateh 

I have recently gotten into sikhi, it has been around 3 years since I've started wearing a dastar now I think. Since I've started I have had stages where I have been very religious and then stages where I haven't. Coming from a non religious family at all I find it hard to get guidance from someone close to me. I have two local Gurdwaras one of which I used to go to regularly however they seemed to be very Liberal and hardly any of them were gursikhs and most of them drunk alcohol and such things. The other Gurdwara I have been to a few times but they dont make me feel welcome at all they stare at me and act abnoxious to me. I have recently started going to another gurdwara outside of my town which is around a 20 minute drive but I literally know no one there and as I'm going alone it makes it a lot harder to try to meet new people and being an introverted person makes it more difficult. If anyone could suggest any ways of making new friends that are gursikhs that would be great thanks 

Guest Singh

Seva is useful for this. While doing seva your bound to meet new people and get the chance to speak to them. Like washing up in kitchen or distributing langar - you’ll meet loads of new people. Don’t stop attending gurdwara though - if you want to meet gursikh friends you’ll probably meet the in the gurdwara. Don’t worry about being shy or uncomfortable, just put yourself in a position where other gursikhs can ‘bump into you’ can start a conversation with you.

Not sure how old you are but Sikh societies (in Unis) are great also for making like minded friends.

Hi bro    how old are you and where do you live?  are there lots of sikhs in your area?  like the poster above try doing seva in the kitchen and langar hall you can meet new sangat like that. Also check if there are any weekly english talks at your local gurdwara or events organized by sikhs in your local area like homeless feeds and other charity work. Normally there are posters of local events up at the gurdwara. Check if your gurdwara does any classes which you might be interested in or simran sessions etc   does your your gurdwara have a gym? 

Guest daas guest singh
36 minutes ago, puzzled said:

does your your gurdwara have a gym?

Gurdware have gyms ? whaaaa? why didnt i know bout this? Daymnnn thats some progress,next step , remove these silly senseless Gurdwara committeeian and revert back to the Panj Pyara system.

Guest The Truth
On 3/10/2020 at 1:01 AM, Guest Anon said:

Waheguru ji ki khalsa 

Waheguru ji ki fateh 

I have recently gotten into sikhi, it has been around 3 years since I've started wearing a dastar now I think. Since I've started I have had stages where I have been very religious and then stages where I haven't. Coming from a non religious family at all I find it hard to get guidance from someone close to me. I have two local Gurdwaras one of which I used to go to regularly however they seemed to be very Liberal and hardly any of them were gursikhs and most of them drunk alcohol and such things. The other Gurdwara I have been to a few times but they dont make me feel welcome at all they stare at me and act abnoxious to me. I have recently started going to another gurdwara outside of my town which is around a 20 minute drive but I literally know no one there and as I'm going alone it makes it a lot harder to try to meet new people and being an introverted person makes it more difficult. If anyone could suggest any ways of making new friends that are gursikhs that would be great thanks 

Sangat doesn’t mean in the gurdwarra...there are good people out there. You’ve seen for yourself that there are obnoxious people in the Gurwarra at times.... they are not Sangat. 

Sangat means good souls. When you think of Heaven, you think of good souls. Hence, find good souls here on earth. 

Join a fitness group, classes that interest you and you may find people who have similar interests to you. You may meet a few bad eggs but to find good people, we need to filter through the rubbish, you can find good people out there.