I  saw a news piece today of well meaning Sikhs providing free langar/aid/shopping to people in southall and slough.

Every time i hear of charity and religious groups helping people its always the Sikhs or Christians very rarely I'll see muslims, hindus and buddhists helping non-believers of their faith.

Buddhists I don't hear ever doing anything for non-buddhists yet they command a religious following of 500 million+ believers in their ideology. They have 3-4 countries to their name also and generally have a better representation and PR than Sikhs. Afghan sikhs have long complained of persecution from local muslims and jihadi terrorists but most world governments drag their feet in helping them by not giving them urgent immediate refuge instead many in the past have had to risk their lives illegally traveling in shipping containers where a few died few years ago.

Surely Sikhs are missing something here? It seems to me no matter how much our people do for charity for non-believers that will all be forgotten as soon as anything negative comes up.

There needs to be a trade off. If a non-believer gets langar they must do something for Sikhs or Sikhi even if its just free sewa like wash the dishes. I was humbled when I saw an irish non-sikh guy who had an homelessness and alcoholic problem who used to come to my local gurdwara to get langer but in return as a give back to the community he used to wash the dishes. That guy has passed away now but it shows how much he appreciated and grateful to Sikhs and how Sikhs appreciated him in return. We need a something for something culture brought back not something for nothing as we all known when something is free it is not valued as its considered like air or water. When theres value to something people appreciate it alot more this is how human beings are and we need to wake up to that fact.

3 hours ago, genie said:

Buddhists I don't hear ever doing anything for non-buddhists yet they command a religious following of 500 million+ believers in their ideology.

The funny thing about Buddhists is that so many Westerners believe it's the ideal religion or something. If a Westerner is tired of Christianity and looking for something different, you can bet that he or she is "into" Buddhism.

3 hours ago, genie said:

If a non-believer gets langar they must do something for Sikhs or Sikhi even if its just free sewa like wash the dishes.

That's not a bad idea.

And it's also parupkar, too, of a sort, because doing seva is good for you (for the non-believer, too).

16 hours ago, BhForce said:

The funny thing about Buddhists is that so many Westerners believe it's the ideal religion or something. If a Westerner is tired of Christianity and looking for something different, you can bet that he or she is "into" Buddhism.

That's not a bad idea.

And it's also parupkar, too, of a sort, because doing seva is good for you (for the non-believer, too).

a lot of people who go Darbar sahib for a look see actually do bartan sewa as it is the only one that there is always a place to do it .

Buddhists are very strange they do munvarat but then expect everyone else to be silent for their comfort, all the Buddhists I've met are seething just beneath the skin with krodh, especially the monks . I guess playing at calmness and silence leaves them wanting in terms of expression .

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2020 at 10:00 PM, jkvlondon said:

a lot of people who go Darbar sahib for a look see actually do bartan sewa as it is the only one that there is always a place to do it .

Buddhists are very strange they do munvarat but then expect everyone else to be silent for their comfort, all the Buddhists I've met are seething just beneath the skin with krodh, especially the monks . I guess playing at calmness and silence leaves them wanting in terms of expression .

Are most of these 'Buddhists' really practising Buddhism properly? I doubt it

One thing is that sikhi is a difficult religion to follow compared to buddhism. Half of these so called Westerners who claim to be spiritually enlightened and followers of Buddhism only share some random <banned word filter activated> quotes of buddha and claim to be Buddhist without following any rituals or making a change in their lifestyle. I knew this brazillian girl in my catholic high school who hated Christianity and claimed to like eastern religions but the only thing she followed was putting the Hindu om sign in her insta bio lol. So they think just by tattooing themselves with a symbol from the east means they are followers of the religion.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:00 PM, jkvlondon said:

But i like buddhists better than every other religion in the world. They are not annoying and malicious like christians, muslims and hindus.

The reason why Buddhists is popular with westerners is because it is deemed less judgmental and therefore you can do what you feel like and you can mix it up with other stuff or whatever whim you fancy. 

However, there is more to Buddhist thought though. They have their own set of principles with The 4 noble truths or 8 fold path. 

1 minute ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Also please note that Buddhists are the first missionary religion and it spread through converting rulers which then spread to the populace through state patronage.

Also they have been around for way longer time than us. I dont think its right for us to compare our numbers to hindus, muslims, christians and buddhists since we are a relatively newer dharam. Also what about the sikhs in places like MP who are considered hindus in census? Somebody told me they put some of these lesser known sikh communites like sikhligars as hindus on the census. Is that true?

28 minutes ago, proudkaur21 said:

Also they have been around for way longer time than us. I dont think its right for us to compare our numbers to hindus, muslims, christians and buddhists since we are a relatively newer dharam. Also what about the sikhs in places like MP who are considered hindus in census? Somebody told me they put some of these lesser known sikh communites like sikhligars as hindus on the census. Is that true?

No idea.