how to improve voice for kirtan

jasonsingh

2 hours ago, Guest Kirtan said:

All I wanted to do was sing kirtan to connect to guru sahib and let the sangat feel rass from it as well. So my only ardas was for maharaj to bless me with kirtan. I prayed that I stay away from hankar if maharaj gave me this daat. So I increased my nam abhiyas to 3 hours everyday and then I would just sing a shabad off my phone. I didn’t know how to play any saaj. After just 2 weeks I could feel my voice go deeper and higher and pronounce notes I’ve never heard. After a month I increased simran to 4 hours and whenever I sang kirtan I would taste a lot of sweetness in my mouth. One amritvela I just started to sing vaheguru simran from my heart asking maharaj to please bless me with kirtan so I could connect to him and forget the world. When i opened my eyes my mum and brother were sitting in front of me my brother was in shock lol and my mum had tears in her eyes and she said “that was beautiful”. Now I’m learning vajaa but tbh i wish to stay gupt and just sing kirtan to maharaj as I feel the rass so much alone. Now at amritvela I do 2 hours simran (as hukam from panj Singh) and 2 hours kirtan practice everyday.

So my advice is do simran and ask maharaj. If what you ask for will benefit you and connect you to maharaj, why wouldn’t he give it? But make sure it’s for the right reasons, do you want to learn kirtan to increase prem for maharaj or do you want to just get famous and be called for at big samagams?

Jo maange takhur apne te sohee sohee devai. 

thank you so much I really appreciate you sharing, thank you  but plz can you share what practise you do? and is it possible to share your waheguru sargams 

Guest Raag Naad Sab Sach H

Make your Sa C# which is know as pehla kala. Do this exercise after nitnem. Hold your Sa for half an hour. Do it daily. Make sure you open your mouth. Doing this daily will make your throat open. Then sing the other notes for five minutes each. Carrying this on until you reach the top of the scale. Then descend down to Sa again. If you can, sing the Saregam of all ten thaaths. So from raag bilaaval to raag todi. If you can’t sing the raags because of time, sing one raag once a week for 5 weeks. Their are some good videos on YouTube that do help by famous ragis and Hindustani classical musicians. That doesn’t mean they are wrong just because they don’t sing gurmat sangeet. All they are teaching is how to sing better. One of my ustad told me before they passed away that to listen to the note is more beneficial then singing it straight away. May Waheguru bless his soul. Make sure you align your voice to the note and listen carefully. It will take a lot of time believe me. You need patience and bharosa in SatGuru ji. They bless all. Ask in your ardas for the blessing of singing true gurmat sangeet in raag not pathetic styles that diminish the dignity of gurmat sangeet like AKJ and Bollywood kirtan. Always practise raag. May Waheguru bless you with that daat. 

Please forgive me for all the mistakes I’ve made. 

Bhulan Andar Sabh Ko, Abhul Gur Kartar || 

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh ||

23 hours ago, Guest Raag Naad Sab Sach H said:

Make your Sa C# which is know as pehla kala. Do this exercise after nitnem. Hold your Sa for half an hour. Do it daily. Make sure you open your mouth. Doing this daily will make your throat open. Then sing the other notes for five minutes each. Carrying this on until you reach the top of the scale. Then descend down to Sa again. If you can, sing the Saregam of all ten thaaths. So from raag bilaaval to raag todi. If you can’t sing the raags because of time, sing one raag once a week for 5 weeks. Their are s That doesn’t mean they are wrong just because they don’t sing gurmat sangeet. All they are teaching is how to sing better. One of my ustad told me before they passed away that to listen to the note is more beneficial then singing it straight away. May Waheguru bless his soul. Make sure you align your voice to the note and listen carefully. It will take a lot of time believe me. You need patience and bharosa in SatGuru ji. They bless all. Ask in your ardas for the blessing of singing true gurmat sangeet in raag not pathetic styles that diminish the dignity of gurmat sangeet like AKJ and Bollywood kirtan. Always practise raag. May Waheguru bless you with that daat. 

Please forgive me for all the mistakes I’ve made. 

Bhulan Andar Sabh Ko, Abhul Gur Kartar || 

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh ||

thank you very much your very inspiring can you please share some links of the the videos on YouTube that do help by famous ragis and Hindustani classical musicians. thank you 

On 4/26/2020 at 12:42 AM, Guest Raag said:

Do aaaa continuously for half an hour on your sa. Make sure you do it straight after your nitnem. 

Isn't half an hour too long? Why not just 5-10 minutes, and then move onto Re?

I think when I used to learn with Raj Academy we used to do each one for a few minutes.

Guest Amar

The more you do riaz in the lower register the better your voice will be and higher in the octaves you will go.

SA is most important, then start to go slowly down the saptak Ni, Dha, Pa . . . . . . . in the lower saptak, this really helps the voice.

Also drink a glass of warm/water in the morning this helps the voice.

Yea, ultimately the more rihaaz you do the more your voice opens. Some ppl are naturally gifted, not everyone has an amazing voice. But that shouldnt be the focus.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:17 PM, Guest Amar said:

The more you do riaz in the lower register the better your voice will be and higher in the octaves you will go.

SA is most important, then start to go slowly down the saptak Ni, Dha, Pa . . . . . . . in the lower saptak, this really helps the voice.

Also drink a glass of warm/water in the morning this helps the voice.

to be honest I think some people a just so lucky to be blessed with a nice voice,  who are very lucky and bless who are able to become very popular ragis but  I think it is hard to imorvie your voice as its what you are blessed with instead of trying to improve it just sing with a passion and understand Gurbani and that will make you better.  its hard becoming a ragi I think you need a great voice otherwise in these days the Sangat wont like you its not like the old days when the Sangat would come for the Gurbani now days most people go specially to the Gurdwara if a special ragi is coming but no one is ever interested in the local ragi jaths also now days the gurdwara kirtan tradition is dying as our instruments have changed our raags have gone to Bollywood and are kirtan jathas are not like the Puritan ones as I someones feel  the gurdwaras do not seen as that important any more as sometimes when I see the side ragi I never an able to hear him what's the point of him if you cant hear him its always the middle one who us sining and the side one is just sitting there moving he's lips its a weird gurdwara tradions now adays 

• 1 month later...