Why we are failing

Kau89r8

2 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I never said it wasn't. It just managed to make its way onto the web as a distributable "meme" in relatively recent times. I vaguely recall someone last Christmas or so making an Instagram post that debunked it as having no basis in Gurbani.

It was what hoes used to say when challenged on their promiscuity decades ago. lol

2 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Agree. It's mostly - but not always limited to - something posted by Sikh girls / young women who've had some "fun" in their teens and early 20s with Muslims, Hindus, and others. It eventually dawns upon them that they were used and discarded (either willingly or otherwise). This usually coincides with the period around which they're expected to marry someone from their own religious background, and they begin to realise that their hedonism has left them unable to form a bond with a potential husband.

In order to placate that conscience of theirs that's beginning to trouble them, they seek to find some religious justification for why contrition for their mistakes is unimportant but other people accepting and not judging their mistakes is what a truly spiritual person would do.  So they post these cryptic (or so they believe) quotes they attribute to Gurbani as a means of broadcasting to the world how wonderfully enlightened and egalitarian they are, in the hope they get thousands of likes, and thus justifying their earlier behaviour.

I think it's simpler than that, I think (in terms of antecedents) it stems from a lazy paraphrasing of Baba Nanak's words about truthful living, as well as advice he gave to various sects/groups to shake off their dogmatic religious practices. 

This stuff ended up being lazily summarised and paraphrased to justify elicit relationships, along with: 'We're all equal in God's eyes, it doesn't matter who I date.'

That all being said, looking back, the knowledge some young people have of our bani, heritage , language and ithihaas these days is unprecedented. In the past, when people would come out with the statement we are talking about, most people didn't know that these words didn't exist, and didn't have the linguistic skills or resources to challenge it or look it up. 

12 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

They post these images and sentences not because they fundamentally object to certain Sikh cultural practices in a wider Sarbat Ka Bhalla sense that would suggest their thought processes breach the walls of their own particular life experiences.

Anyone who isn't completely gullible or asleep can always read between the lines, and when deciphering the underlying reason these types of people post these particular sentiments, it's always for very simple, selfish and self-involved reasons that, ironically, the person posting them believes themselves to have crafted a delightfully cryptic little statement that's a mystery to anyone but themselves. 

The reason? It's in service of their own sordid history and their personal failings. And it's almost always Sikh females.

You'd know more about that than me these days perhaps. I don't know how certain things have translated into the social media scene?  It used to be females who used these 'arguments' before, but nowadays, I'm sure guys do too.  

It is interesting to see that old one still being used though. It says a lot that we haven't crushed it out, but I guess certain thinking is pervasive and deeply embedded?  

You know in another way I'm not really surprised in another sense too. The type of thinking we are talking about is only the logical conclusion to 'Sikhism' and it's message.  I think that compulsion to placate and align ourselves to the brits, and show just how similar our values are to theirs, how fair and impartial we are, led to this trajectory. If you know what I'm saying. It's obvious that there was a much stronger sense of community in past, not least of all in how our ancestors weathered genocides and stuff.