The Age of Philosophy: A Critique of Pure Reason

puzzled

This was written by Parveen Babi a bollywood actress who had mental illness, schizophrenia.  I have no idea what she was trying to write!   lol   the whole thing just went over my head. She wrote this in 1997.      her mental illness was quite bad and she accused Amitabh Bachchan, Bill Clinton and Prince Charles of threatening her!      

By Parveen Babi

Our contemporary society erroneously defines a philosopher as any individual who conducts a logical analysis of existing and apparent reality. This perhaps is proof that contemporary society no longer produces true philosophers. Rationalist philosophers from Aristotle to Bertrand Russell have given philosophy methods of conducting syllogistic inferences and logical analysis and down the ages, these techniques have become so synonymous with philosophy, and the practice of true philosophic explorations so rare, that today, the practice of logical analysis has erroneously been taken to mean the practice of philosophy.

Philosophy is man's search for aspects of his existence hitherto unknown to him, regarding which his curiosity is naturally aroused, and his answers to this search, holding true universally. A philosopher is one who with his thought and intuition changes the course of mankind and takes human consciousness one step forward. A philosopher is thus an individual with a curiosity about certain aspects of human existence. He possesses a certain extraordinary and irrepressible original substance which compels him to become curious, to search, and to make a statement about his search and its answer.

My above statements give rise to another question: Is it necessary for philosophy always to be based on pure reason? I would like to ask another question in reply to the above: What if the philosophy of pure reason is discovered to be lacking? Should the modern world, even then, continue to follow the philosophy of reason? If the philosophy of reason was true and perfect unto itself, then it would have led the human race to perfection. But today, after centuries of following the philosophy of reason, corruption and moral decay are rampant in society. The proof of the validity of a civilisation's philosophical system comes from its effect on that civilisation. And our modern civilisation's philosophy of reason has only created chaos and corruption.

Reason, evidently, seems to be able to conduct perfect calculations by itself, but these seemingly perfect calculations are perfect merely in their deductive capacity. Deductive logic, though capable of conducting perfect deductive calculations, lacks wisdom and the universal positive values required to reflect on the ultimate aspects of human existence.

Pure logic in philosophy has yet to come up with a technique of inference which is faultless. Pure mathematical and scientific logic, while possessing the capacity for deductive and analytical calculations, has led man to his destruction by inventing scientific and technological phenomena which give him the capacity to destroy himself. And since science deals in pure reason and scientists conduct their enquiries and inventions without the involvement of universal positives their actions have invariably been conducted in the negative direction of giving a few individuals the supreme power: the means of destroying the human race.

In fact, after a few inceptional enquiries, most of the significant scientific endea-vours of the 20th century have been conducted with a destructive motive. The division of the atom was conducted in order to create the apparatus of the atomic bomb. Even the invention of computer technology has been conducted with the motive of creating a supreme deductive intelligence to be used for warfare, political power and control.

It is time that we adopted what the greatest philosophers of mankind Jesus Christ, Mohammad and Buddha taught the highest order of reason combined with belief — belief in the positive, the truth, a higher reality, which helped them attain perfection, and which helped them lead humanity towards the attainment of perfection. It is not necessary to limit philosophy to reason and separate it from spiritual philosophy. Belief is the capacity, nurtured in human individuals, to recognise and acknowledge the ultimate truth — God. Belief was first inculcated in human beings by God providing evidence to them of his self and his positives. However, the majority of humanity is not capable of (true) belief. If they were capable of (true) belief, then they would not be able to subscribe to the gross corruption of human society.

Because belief — the capacity for the positive — is also the incapacity to subscribe to the negative, corruption. Belief is generated only out of the reasonably refined, evolved substance. When the individual's substance becomes reasonably refined, then it generates both belief and healthy reason. Healthy reason is reason which is reined in by belief, which is supported by belief, which is combined with belief, and which is incapable of negative. I also believe that the function of human philosophy today ought to be to solve the existentialistic problems of man, instead of getting self-involved, and intensely microscopic about abstractions or epistemological and syllogistic explorations about the perception of reality.

The purpose of man's thought — his philosophy — according to me is to help him attain fulfilment in his worldly existence and lead him to perfection of the self and the species. And, of course, the ultimate function of man's thought is to lead him to God perfection and to help himself realise Godhood."

Waheguru   this is really sad and scary. I watched the full show on bbc iplayer   and these poor people got voice artists whose voices most match the voices that they hear   to record some of the things they hear.

My sister works with people who hear these voices and they can be really destructive.

On 4/13/2020 at 1:19 PM, puzzled said:

What is schizophrenia from a sikh point of view? Would we know?  Because everything comes from waheguru. Christian's say they are demons.  

I think it is some demons too (marhe karm) in the same way severe physical disease is also wretched

3 hours ago, Premi5 said:

I think it is some demons too (marhe karm) in the same way severe physical disease is also wretched

Yh they must be demons!   My sister works with girls who have mental illness and the voices in their heads are constantly telling then to kill themselves     a lot of them also have this strange fascination with satan!  Like they name their teddy bears satan lol!  And sometimes they say they were talking to satan etc     

On 4/12/2020 at 2:21 PM, puzzled said:

This was written by Parveen Babi a bollywood actress who had mental illness, schizophrenia.  I have no idea what she was trying to write!   lol   the whole thing just went over my head. She wrote this in 1997.      her mental illness was quite bad and she accused Amitabh Bachchan, Bill Clinton and Prince Charles of threatening her!      

By Parveen Babi

Our contemporary society erroneously defines a philosopher as any individual who conducts a logical analysis of existing and apparent reality. This perhaps is proof that contemporary society no longer produces true philosophers. Rationalist philosophers from Aristotle to Bertrand Russell have given philosophy methods of conducting syllogistic inferences and logical analysis and down the ages, these techniques have become so synonymous with philosophy, and the practice of true philosophic explorations so rare, that today, the practice of logical analysis has erroneously been taken to mean the practice of philosophy.

Philosophy is man's search for aspects of his existence hitherto unknown to him, regarding which his curiosity is naturally aroused, and his answers to this search, holding true universally. A philosopher is one who with his thought and intuition changes the course of mankind and takes human consciousness one step forward. A philosopher is thus an individual with a curiosity about certain aspects of human existence. He possesses a certain extraordinary and irrepressible original substance which compels him to become curious, to search, and to make a statement about his search and its answer.

My above statements give rise to another question: Is it necessary for philosophy always to be based on pure reason? I would like to ask another question in reply to the above: What if the philosophy of pure reason is discovered to be lacking? Should the modern world, even then, continue to follow the philosophy of reason? If the philosophy of reason was true and perfect unto itself, then it would have led the human race to perfection. But today, after centuries of following the philosophy of reason, corruption and moral decay are rampant in society. The proof of the validity of a civilisation's philosophical system comes from its effect on that civilisation. And our modern civilisation's philosophy of reason has only created chaos and corruption.

Reason, evidently, seems to be able to conduct perfect calculations by itself, but these seemingly perfect calculations are perfect merely in their deductive capacity. Deductive logic, though capable of conducting perfect deductive calculations, lacks wisdom and the universal positive values required to reflect on the ultimate aspects of human existence.

Pure logic in philosophy has yet to come up with a technique of inference which is faultless. Pure mathematical and scientific logic, while possessing the capacity for deductive and analytical calculations, has led man to his destruction by inventing scientific and technological phenomena which give him the capacity to destroy himself. And since science deals in pure reason and scientists conduct their enquiries and inventions without the involvement of universal positives their actions have invariably been conducted in the negative direction of giving a few individuals the supreme power: the means of destroying the human race.

In fact, after a few inceptional enquiries, most of the significant scientific endea-vours of the 20th century have been conducted with a destructive motive. The division of the atom was conducted in order to create the apparatus of the atomic bomb. Even the invention of computer technology has been conducted with the motive of creating a supreme deductive intelligence to be used for warfare, political power and control.

It is time that we adopted what the greatest philosophers of mankind Jesus Christ, Mohammad and Buddha taught the highest order of reason combined with belief — belief in the positive, the truth, a higher reality, which helped them attain perfection, and which helped them lead humanity towards the attainment of perfection. It is not necessary to limit philosophy to reason and separate it from spiritual philosophy. Belief is the capacity, nurtured in human individuals, to recognise and acknowledge the ultimate truth — God. Belief was first inculcated in human beings by God providing evidence to them of his self and his positives. However, the majority of humanity is not capable of (true) belief. If they were capable of (true) belief, then they would not be able to subscribe to the gross corruption of human society.

Because belief — the capacity for the positive — is also the incapacity to subscribe to the negative, corruption. Belief is generated only out of the reasonably refined, evolved substance. When the individual's substance becomes reasonably refined, then it generates both belief and healthy reason. Healthy reason is reason which is reined in by belief, which is supported by belief, which is combined with belief, and which is incapable of negative. I also believe that the function of human philosophy today ought to be to solve the existentialistic problems of man, instead of getting self-involved, and intensely microscopic about abstractions or epistemological and syllogistic explorations about the perception of reality.

The purpose of man's thought — his philosophy — according to me is to help him attain fulfilment in his worldly existence and lead him to perfection of the self and the species. And, of course, the ultimate function of man's thought is to lead him to God perfection and to help himself realise Godhood."

I dig the premise of this Age of Philospohy

Also, I worked with schizophrenics and found them to be lovely overall (to be fair medicated). They all responded well if I was silently doing Naam Simran. 

The voices plaguing the most afflicted gentlemen hated it though. The man loved sitting when I'd secretly be doing Simran but his voices couldn't stand it. 

10 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I dig the premise of this Age of Philospohy

Also, I worked with schizophrenics and found them to be lovely overall (to be fair medicated). They all responded well if I was silently doing Naam Simran. 

The voices plaguing the most afflicted gentlemen hated it though. The man loved sitting when I'd secretly be doing Simran but his voices couldn't stand it. 

Do you understand what she was writing?  There obviously was a lot of depth in her thought. She had a lot to express   I wonder if her mental illness had any influence in her writing or the way she saw things. 

One of my distant cousins was born with a learning disability but recently got diagnosed with schizophrenia and she absolutely hates it when her family put paat on the tv and starts swearing and screaming the house down!

My sister works with girls who hear voices and they say satan is their friend and they even name their teddy bears satan and Lucifer lol! 

One of my friends from school is this white guy and his mum got schizophrenia and he told me his mum sees a old lady standing on top of the stair case and she swears at and threatens his mum!  That just sounds like a evil spirit to me   but I didnt tell him that.  He gives her weed to smoke and says she feels better after that. 

Scary stuff 

7 hours ago, puzzled said:

Do you understand what she was writing?  There obviously was a lot of depth in her thought. She had a lot to express   I wonder if her mental illness had any influence in her writing or the way she saw things. 

One of my distant cousins was born with a learning disability but recently got diagnosed with schizophrenia and she absolutely hates it when her family put paat on the tv and starts swearing and screaming the house down!

My sister works with girls who hear voices and they say satan is their friend and they even name their teddy bears satan and Lucifer lol! 

One of my friends from school is this white guy and his mum got schizophrenia and he told me his mum sees a old lady standing on top of the stair case and she swears at and threatens his mum!  That just sounds like a evil spirit to me   but I didnt tell him that.  He gives her weed to smoke and says she feels better after that. 

Scary stuff 

Basically I think she means that if philosophy, logic, and deductive reason are so good then why has humanity degenerated to or past the point of no return in the short time we've used these concepts?

That real philosophy is the personal experiential search for truth, for God, and that logic etc is only a useful tool in the hands of one with personal proper understanding of truth of God. 

Resulting in healthy reason reined in by belief. 

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Basically I think she means that if philosophy, logic, and deductive reason are so good then why has humanity degenerated to or past the point of no return in the short time we've used these concepts?

That real philosophy is the personal experiential search for truth, for God, and that logic etc is only a useful tool in the hands of one with personal proper understanding of truth of God. 

Resulting in healthy reason reined in by belief. 

yh thats what i understood from the 1st paragraph too where she writes  ....       i think she also means that eastern philosophy has more depth in comparison to western philosophy  

Rationalist philosophers from Aristotle to Bertrand Russell have given philosophy methods of conducting syllogistic inferences and logical analysis and down the ages, these techniques have become so synonymous with philosophy, and the practice of true philosophic explorations so rare, that today, the practice of logical analysis has erroneously been taken to mean the practice of philosophy.

On 4/13/2020 at 1:19 PM, puzzled said:

What is schizophrenia from a sikh point of view? Would we know?  Because everything comes from waheguru. Christian's say they are demons.  

Yes "Hukam likh dukh sukh paiee" By your command people are in pain and pleasure. 

So next time sum1 says "If God exists why so much pain!?" You could give this as an answer.