During quarantine, my goal is read all of Panth Parkash

Great!

Reading Panth Prakash (although I read Kulwant SIngh's translation) was a life changing event for me. It helped me shake off the dualistic, whitewashed (and frankly bland) Singh Sabha rewriting of Sikh 'history' that I'd grown up with. 

It's a masterpiece of Sikh ithihaas and literature in my opinion. When you get into the later sections i.e. Banda Singh Bahadhur onwards - it really blows your mind. I mean it actually even reads like a modern day, complex, adventure series too, that's how advance the thinking and skills of the author was, and all before the influence of western literature on Panjab.   

9 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Point me towards where I can read or buy (English) please

Just in case you didn't know: the author (Rattan Singh Bhangu) is the grandson of the famous shaheed Mehtaab Singh, who, along with Sukha Singh took out Massa Ranghar at Darbar Sahib. All these versions we are reading/listening to (including Santa Singh's one) are based on an edited version put out by Bhai Vir Singh. The full original isn't available in print.   

Vol 1:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/54832175/Vol-1-SRI-GUR-PANTH-PRAKASH-by-Rattan-Singh-Bhangoo-Trans-Kulwant-Singh

Vol 2:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/149671030/Vol-2-SRI-GUR-PANTH-PRAKASH-by-Rattan-Singh-Bhangu-VOLUME-2-English-trans-by-Kulwant-Singh

14 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Over 10 years ago I compared the latter Sikh accounts of Banda Singh's capture as told in PP, with contemporary Persian Muslim sources. 

This might interest some people ?

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/11332-sri-guru-panth-prakash-volume-1-by-rattan-singh-bhangoo-english-translation-by-kulwant-singh/  

Great read. 

15 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Great read. 

Thanks.

Just to give you an idea of how things have changed, when I originally posted that on this forum way back when, I was actually banned from it because the hyper-conservative, narrow minded admin of those days deemed it to be too controversial......

How things have changed. For the better imo. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 10:01 AM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

I will be reading panth parkash by Rattan singh Bhangu and summarizing what I have read here. To keep myself accountable. All comments, suggestions, analysis welcome.

The version im reading has the teeka/ exegesis done by singh sahib Baba Sant Singh Akali, who used to be jathedaar of Budha dal. To be honest, its a written version of his katha recordings. When i am reading it feels like listening to katha too.  Although Panth Patkash is written in understandable panjabi, but i still read the teeka part. 

So far it starts off with how a Maratha King had hired a firangii (frenchmen) names Deloney to protect his borders. The frenchmen wants to retire and go back to his homeland. So he sells what he can but what he cant like his mini army, he gives to his sisters son. The nephew, Pierre grows the army 3x bigger and  wins all of Agra and Delhi. The Maratha king gets worried that his french military commander is getting too powerful and starts thinking of ways to wrest control back or kill Pierre. Pierre realizes he is in danger and sells everything to the East English Tea company and flees to France. The Maratha king is mad, all his gold and effort that went into the army is wasted. But we never hear abt him again. 

Just as the English reach Delhi to claim it, singhs attack and chase them off. The english are nonplussed. And ask the mughal emperor who are these singhs? And what right do they have over Delhi.

The mughal emperor lies and says, these are not rulers but my subjects who have rebelled. They have no right. And the english write this down and send it to London. 

Then it is emphasized that there is always an enemity between hindus and muslims. And muslims will do anything to hurt hindus. And they lied to the British so that they can fight the Sikhs, and either both will weaken or atoeast sikhs destroyed. 

As this was going on, Maharaaja Ranjeet singh becomes greedy and decides to attack his fellow sikhs in the patiala region. Those patiala sikhs then ask the British to join them to fight him off. This scares him away. There is a big rant about how if Ranjit Singh hadnt been so selfish, the sikhs would've stayed united and not lost their Raaj. 

So in ludhiana, capital of the Patiala side of kings, english and sikhs start tk mingle. And Rattan Singh Bhangu hears of a English Captain asking about the Sikh origin story. And he again asks another muslim,.this time a maulavi about the sikhs. 

Rattan Singh decides to set him straight and tells him you wont get any truth that way. And the Captain gets permission to let a lietenent Murray interview Bhangu to get the full truth. 

Bhangu basically says we Sikhs have every right to be rulers here. Murray asks who gave you this right? A king. Bhangu replies the True King of Kings. And who is this Murray asks. And Bhangu says Guru Nanak dev ji, and since Murray has never heard of him, starts to tell about Guru Nanak Dev ji

This is where it gets interesting. It mentions that Guru Nanaks parents,.were form the glorius bedi kul. Who have always had an avataar of each jug born into their kul. And goes into how holy and great it is. 

Then it also.says Mehta Kalu Ji and Mata Tripta used to be royals. Who gave ul their kingdom. Cuz akaash bani (prophecy?) Said if u want me to grant ur wish of having the avtaar of this jug born into ur family, u must give up ur kingdom. So they do. And the parents become servants of Rai Bular in Talwandi. 

I had never heard this version before. Then it goes into the childhood sakhis of Guru Nanak. Which I will continue reading soon. 

How you getting on with the reading? 

On 5/8/2020 at 11:53 PM, AcceptinghisWill said:

How you getting on with the reading? 

So i have been reading but not consistently.

It talks about Guru Nanak Dev Jis childhood. But in brief as the author keeps stating he fears the granth will get too big if he recounts everything and to look to other sources for more detailed sakhis. 

After hearing these sakhis Captain Murray says I do now believe Guru Nanak existed. But why is there a sakhi of him metting King Karron/Carrom? who existed atleast a thousand years before Guru Nanak. And the author stated that some writers are ignorant copycats and not true writers. They do not research or even think about their claims. It is true that those two never met. In fact Guru Nank dev ji probably used it as a reference that look at King Carron Who had 18 lacs of gold and when he died he was not able to take anything with him. And so some clueless writer wrote that Guru Nanak personally said that to King Carrom. And other writers repeated that without thinking.

So Rattan singh( the author) describes all the miracles that Guru Nanak Dev ji did like the snake shading him, etc. But in brief. He says that Guru Nanak would go with his friends and give Mardana Ji reeds to play as an instrument and would sing and talk about God. His father tried to make him do business but Guruji was too vapervah(carefree). Finally their brother in law took him to sultanpur. Where they worked at Daulat Khans shop. Then one day disappeared in the river while bathing. Came back wayy later. All the Qazis were saying black magic. daulat khan had Guruji tested by doctors. And guruji taught the doctor a lesson. Then Daukat khan had faith in guruji's miracle. And he continued to serve Guruji and was blessed with 2 sons. People heardnof this and many people came for help to Guruji. Who when burning would not run towards cool water? Guruji would bless them with whatever they desired.

Finally Guruji left on an udasi(odyssey) and covered all of Panjab and most ppl became Sikh.  Then went to the south and saw how most hindu temples were desecrated by Mughals. Guruji turned the people from worshipping devis, and pirs to reciting the Name. Hindus and Muslims came to him and Guruji taught them to be truthful, to not exploit etc. 

Then Guruji went North. Met the sidhs and won them all and tuened them towards the Truth.

Then bhai mardana wanted to visit Mecca. Guru ji took him. And Guruji was able to open a door that noone else could. While the maulivis were trying to figure out who did that. All the doors to the Kabaa were closed. When they gave up trying to open the maulvis decided to  find out who did this. They made everyone touch the doors but they wouldnt open. Finally Guruji was left. But they were relectant to ask a Hindu holy man. How could we be lower than hindus? But some muslims from india told them that Guru Nanak taught both Muslims and Hindus. To muslims he said to do bandgi and to hindus to do bhagti. 

They resolved to ask Guruji kjndly to open the doors so everyones hajj can be completed. If he cant open them, we will kill him they schemed. But Guruji sent mardana to touch the door and it opened. 

From there Guru ji went East. Where black magic was heavily practiced. And then where women ruled. To all Guruji taught to be kind, not exploitive and to chant the name.