During quarantine, my goal is read all of Panth Parkash

On 4/18/2020 at 8:02 AM, dallysingh101 said:

Over 10 years ago I compared the latter Sikh accounts of Banda Singh's capture as told in PP, with contemporary Persian Muslim sources. 

This might interest some people ?

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/11332-sri-guru-panth-prakash-volume-1-by-rattan-singh-bhangoo-english-translation-by-kulwant-singh/  

That was interesting. I havent gotten to that part yet. The viewpoint that Rattan singh was descendent of tat khalsa so biased against banda singh is interesting. Will keep that in mind. 

So far what I dont like about Rattan singh is that he tries ro explain the supernatural causes behind events and what he thinks the Gurus were thinking. This unnecessarily complicates things. I wish he had just stuck to this is what happened. (For example why Guru tegh bahadur gave his head and why guru ji created khalsa and why shaheedi of chotte sahibzade happened. Even Murray gets confused and says if Guru ji meant to sacrifice his family how is  it the fault of the mughals?)

I really wish we could find the account of the captain Murray. That he was supposed to have written and sent to London. I also tried looking up Dr Cole that is supposed to have done the surgery of Guru Gobind Singhs wounds in the final days. But not much luck. Perhaps as you are in the UK, you could have more luck.  

Next Guru Nanak goes to Delhi. Here the king is ibrahim lodhi, a pathaan. He has corced all the holy sants and peers into labor camps to run handmills (chakkis) because he thinks they are fake and deceive public. They pray to GuruNanak to save them. Guruji then makes all their baskets float above their heads and the handmills work themselves. Guards take Guruji to the king. He demands that guru be exiled outside of Delhi cor black magic. Guruji says I will come back to Delhi and there will be a new badshah/emperor of india. So the king went crazy and soon the Chugtai(mughals) won delhi. Rattan singh says the Chugtai were followers of Guruji hence sikh. 

Molly( that is what the author now refers to captain murray) asks what about the rest of the Gurus.

Its hard to find time to read path parkash and type its summary. And i am not even halfway done reading the first volume. So from now on, I will just write my thoughts and how far Ive progressed into sikh history. 

Also the link to the English version above, provided by dallysingh101, has really good, understandable tranlsation in english. Its better to  read that instead of my dry and blunt summaries.

To illustrate how the enemity dtarted between the mughals and sikhs, Guru Tegh Bahadur's shaheedi parsang is told. How emperor aurangzeb decided to convert all hindus to turks.he rounded up the hindus and demanded they convert or die or be exiled.  The hindus cleverly told him that we follow brahmins. If you were to convert them, we will as well. 

The emperor than rounded up the brahmins of kashmir. They asked for a time delay and started havans and pujas and mantar chanting. But someone complained that they were doing black magic. The Kjng got angry and so the army and its  officers were sent to Kashmir to round up all the brahmins in kashmirs. So all the brahmins/pandits in Kashmir were either killed or converted or exiled. When brahmins in other parts of india heard, they panicked and hid. Then some from kaashi decided the only brave and steong enough entity is the house of Nanak. 

The rest of the sakhi is as we have heard. Except that the author goes onto to explain that while Guru Nank had blessed these Chugtai Mughals rule of india. Guruji had also said only as long as you dont do zulum/tyranny or rise against the Gurus house. And babbar said, who gives a conditional gift, to he taken back. So guruji says, well we will make it Our head the price for taking it back. So the 9th guru was looking for an excuse to give their head. 

On 4/18/2020 at 7:51 AM, dallysingh101 said:

Just in case you didn't know: the author (Rattan Singh Bhangu) is the grandson of the famous shaheed Mehtaab Singh, who, along with Sukha Singh took out Massa Ranghar at Darbar Sahib. All these versions we are reading/listening to (including Santa Singh's one) are based on an edited version put out by Bhai Vir Singh. The full original isn't available in print.   

Vol 1:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/54832175/Vol-1-SRI-GUR-PANTH-PRAKASH-by-Rattan-Singh-Bhangoo-Trans-Kulwant-Singh

Vol 2:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/149671030/Vol-2-SRI-GUR-PANTH-PRAKASH-by-Rattan-Singh-Bhangu-VOLUME-2-English-trans-by-Kulwant-Singh

Bro, could I ask that if you have the PDFs, just upload those to Sikhsangat (if possible). And if not, just some random free fileshare site?

Much better than Scribd, which might have been OK in the day, but now is just greedy and wants you to pay to download PDFs that people uploaded for free. (Yeah, I know there's a "trial" membership, but then they nag you to upload random PDFs for every one that you download.)

Anyways, this is Sikh knowledge. Why should Scribd be a gatekeeper to it?

11 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Bro, could I ask that if you have the PDFs, just upload those to Sikhsangat (if possible). And if not, just some random free fileshare site?

Much better than Scribd, which might have been OK in the day, but now is just greedy and wants you to pay to download PDFs that people uploaded for free. (Yeah, I know there's a "trial" membership, but then they nag you to upload random PDFs for every one that you download.)

Sharing from google drive etc is really easy. 

On 5/14/2020 at 1:05 AM, BhForce said:

Thanks for letting me know.

I'll stick them elsewhere when I get a second and post the link (unless someone else does it before me). Give me a couple of days.  

On 5/14/2020 at 1:05 AM, BhForce said:

You should be able to download volume 1 and 2 from here now. Let me know if you have any problems:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/files/file/37-rattan-singh-bhangus-panth-prakash-vol-1-2-english-translation-by-kulwant-singh/