What will Western Sikhs do when the whip-hand becomes Islamic in the next few decades?

23 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

For a UK Sikh to move NA is not going to be a move for extra material resources. 

You could buy a bigger house than you could ever have in the UK but the question is going to be "Then What?" It is more of an existential dilemma. 

All the UK Sikhs I know who've made plans to move out to Canada and then cancelled them after having spent some time over there before making the jump, seem to say the same thing: apne over there begin to grind on your spirit almost immediately. These families weren't struggling 9 to 5 folks. Some already had property and businesses in Canada from which they drew rent and dividends while living in the UK. But they were willing to forgo the material benefits of a NA existence for a comparably low-key UK equivalent lifestyle. That tells you everything, lol. The fresh desis who leap at Canada don't possess that discernment because they probably don't have souls to begin with, lol, joking.

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

All the UK Sikhs I know who've made plans to move out to Canada and then cancelled them after having spent some time over there before making the jump, seem to say the same thing: apne over there begin to grind on your spirit almost immediately.

Why do you think that was? Excessive friendliness? 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

All the UK Sikhs I know who've made plans to move out to Canada and then cancelled them after having spent some time over there before making the jump, seem to say the same thing: apne over there begin to grind on your spirit almost immediately. These families weren't struggling 9 to 5 folks. Some already had property and businesses in Canada from which they drew rent and dividends while living in the UK. But they were willing to forgo the material benefits of a NA existence for a comparably low-key UK equivalent lifestyle. That tells you everything, lol. The fresh desis who leap at Canada don't possess that discernment because they probably don't have souls to begin with, lol, joking.

If you go on some British expat websites you can get some essence what the issues are.

I think one factor is that you don't always see the good aspects of the UK until you go to another country.

For example, people think that California is all beaches and palm trees and bay watch. Some folk think, "Yes I can go surfing etc)

However, California is a massive state and if you are a Punjabi that lives in centre of California (that is where the bulk of them live), it's like a 3-4 hour drive.

A Punjabi living in the SE England can get to the coast in about 2 hours. We complain about how small the UK is but the advantage you got a lot more things on your doorstep.

What UK Sikhs are looking for is a better quality of life not necessarily a higher standard of living.

For many UK Sikhs living away from muslims is seen as an improvement in their quality of life.

2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I would if it was possible to avoid the wider Western culture of North America (which, in the cities where apne tend to congregate, is obnoxiously degenerate to the point of being unbearable) as well as the specific culture and norms of the Punjabi Sikh population whether they're of the desi or the westernised varieties.

I think there's a certain aspect of the native British mentality that gels well with a particular type of Punjabi Sikh personality that you just don't see in Punjabi Sikhs in other Western countries. I think the laid-back, slightly cynical way that Brits view the world is a good match for the chilled out Punjabi who has a no-bull mindset. We also have a certain sardonic sense of humour that seems to be virtually non-existent in our North American counterparts. Their ostentatious, fake, in-your-face demeanour would send me up the wall as would the completely backwards, desi Punjabi vibe.

Employment is not a problem for most UK Sikhs moving out to NA. One can get a job anywhere if you've got the skills and the determination. For me, it's more about the less tangible things that bear upon my soul on a daily basis. So, on balance, it seems sticking it out in GB seems like the best thing to do despite its relatively worsening state.

I'd personally like to move to NA - I've been to northern California as have family there and I really like it. I think the situation wrt various factors is getting worse in the UK. Sure, we as Sikhs are quite well known in metropolitan areas here, so there is less xenophobia compared to other countries. But I think it would be good to challenge myself adapting to a different culture. Various factors are worsening - law enforcement/crime, health system, schools, roads. 

However, I disagree about the employment situation on the whole. Some sectors like banking/trading, IT/Computing you can easily transfer. But, if you are a lawyer, or doctor or dentist , you have to do a lot of re-training and difficult and expensive exams (this is less applicable to most of Canada , at least for doctors that I know). Even for 'trades' people, they have to retrain, I think for the USA. Further to that, is getting a Visa can be very problematic for US.

On 4/19/2020 at 12:12 AM, GurjantGnostic said:

Not a bad list of suggestions. I trust you meant tap dancing though brother. Hah.

In spirit I say your Gaelic and Welsh brothers and sisters welcome you. 

Maybe Africa, Jamaica, or South America?

What is about to be a not popular suggestion...Morocco?

That unclaimed island sounds pretty sweet. 

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

Even for 'trades' people, they have to retrain, I think for the USA. Further to that, is getting a Visa can be very problematic for US.

The fundamental skills themselves are easily transferrable, though. The smaller details such as the way they do things over there in terms of working on site with other trades, and general translation of units of measurement, etc., will take some time, but an American chippy doesn't cut wood any different to a British one, lol. Stuff like VISAs, sure, that kind of red-tape is an issue.