Jump to content

Sikhs Marrying late - What is the issue


Recommended Posts

What is the issue with today's generation of Sikhs. Ie in the last 20 years so?

Our Sikh boys and girls are putting off marriage and getting wed far to late. It's almost become like a trend where they are putting of this most important aspect of Sikhi to reproduce and start a family life. 

It seems our lot just want to enjoy the single life, party, date and not have responsibility of a partner and kids. Sikhs are getting married in their late 30's and then as a consequence they have low fertility levels due to fertility decreasing in age. 

Many seem scared of marriage when they should not be. It's almost like everyone labels marriage as a boring thing, best to avoid until the last minute as it's some kind of jail sentence  When marriage is a beautiful thing and should not be seen as this. 

At the same time Muslims get married in their 20's and churning out kids like no tommorow. 

Are lot seem like their still trying to find themselves and figuring life out.

I can understand someone saying they first want to get a job and become financially secure and be a grown rounded individual before tying the knot and starting a family. 

But that should not take you to be the age of 38 to do that.

While Muslim average marriage is is about 24 -27

Our lot are a decade behind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your mother's friend daughter wants someone who earns 100k and above. The more money a woman makes, the less available suitors will be for her. This is called hypergamy. Women marry up. 

I don't get why the soft, middle-class office boys from the Sikh community end up delaying their marriages into their late 30s. They have the disposable income and the choice of partners from which to

The soul knows. The mind can delude the consciousness into self-delusion, but the soul always knows. Nasty. I'd rather kill myself than opt for 5hit like that. 

8 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

What is the issue with today's generation of Sikhs. Ie in the last 20 years so?

Our Sikh boys and girls are putting off marriage and getting wed far to late. It's almost become like a trend where they are putting of this most important aspect of Sikhi to reproduce and start a family life. 

It seems our lot just want to enjoy the single life, party, date and not have responsibility of a partner and kids. Sikhs are getting married in their late 30's and then as a consequence they have low fertility levels due to fertility decreasing in age. 

Many seem scared of marriage when they should not be. It's almost like everyone labels marriage as a boring thing, best to avoid until the last minute as it's some kind of jail sentence  When marriage is a beautiful thing and should not be seen as this. 

At the same time Muslims get married in their 20's and churning out kids like no tommorow. 

Are lot seem like their still trying to find themselves and figuring life out.

I can understand someone saying they first want to get a job and become financially secure and be a grown rounded individual before tying the knot and starting a family. 

But that should not take you to be the age of 38 to do that.

While Muslim average marriage is is about 24 -27

Our lot are a decade behind. 

Are you not single and in your mid 30s. 

Since you are in this demographic, why do you think this is the case?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

it makes more sense to marry early as your health, energy and strength is at its peak , kids will be born to non-geriatric mums (its the medical term) so Mums  will have shorter labours , quicker recovery and baby less likely to have abnormailities.

I thought it was advice to parents to marry children as soon as they are old enough  by Guru ji this prevents misadventures .

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Are you not single and in your mid 30s. 

Since you are in this demographic, why do you think this is the case?

Im happily married.

Got married when I was 32. Which is late I know. But I had a good reason for that I would rather not disclose. If I could I would have married when I was about 25/26. Which I think is ideal but nothing wrong with marrying even earlier at 22-24.. Its great as you will see more of your kids growing up and be healthy to look after them. 

But seen so many people in the sikh community without any good reason waisting away their years and not marrying and their hitting their fortys in the sikh community. They are old and lonely and scared of marriage. Like they cant handle commitment and settleing down with one person for the rest of their lifes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Im happily married.

Got married when I was 32. Which is late I know. But I had a good reason for that I would rather not disclose. If I could I would have married when I was about 25/26. Which I think is ideal but nothing wrong with marrying even earlier at 22-24.. Its great as you will see more of your kids growing up and be healthy to look after them. 

But seen so many people in the sikh community without any good reason waisting away their years and not marrying and their hitting their fortys in the sikh community. They are old and lonely and scared of marriage. Like they cant handle commitment and settleing down with one person for the rest of their lifes.

By our cultural norms it is yes, marrying in your thirties is deemed as late.

But in a gora culture, marrying at that age is normal.

Imagine being an apna getting married at 25 and having a kid at 26. A gora would say "Wow! Married and being a parent by 26"

There is a multi-layered answer to this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

these are not good signs for the future of any community. It indicates something is rotten ! 

I think main worry is that we marry late and have kids late.

However, in the old days it was common to have lots of kids.

So it was common for there to be a huge age gap between the oldest child and the youngest child (by 20 odd years) by the point that a couple's eldest grandchild can be the same age (or even older) than their youngest child.

My dad had 2 mama's that were younger than him.

My mum's bhuas son was the same age as her dad. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally marriage should be at the latest 25 years of age for both genders. The later you go the more vikaars start to enter into you and you start to mess around by having many BFs before marriage. If you're going to mess around why not just get married and do it with your own spouse?

 

I have a  distant cousin. After she finished her education she was in her early 20s. My parents asked her father when she will get married. He laughed it off as if something weird was asked and said "oh don't worry she will marry after but first she has to work a few years and make her career". They delayed her marriage even though she was getting rishte but they kept on rejecting it because they wanted her to make her career. By the time she reached 30 she found a Muslim and married him. Her parents felt so embarrassed they didn't invite most of the relatives to the wedding.

 

Another case in my relatives is of a girl who was 24 still studying to become a doctor. Her parents found a Rishta. The boy was also studying to become a doctor. They had them married while they were still studying. Today both of them are doctors. Once they became MDs they had their first child.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

it makes more sense to marry early as your health, energy and strength is at its peak , kids will be born to non-geriatric mums (its the medical term) so Mums  will have shorter labours , quicker recovery and baby less likely to have abnormailities.

I thought it was advice to parents to marry children as soon as they are old enough  by Guru ji this prevents misadventures .

That was my thinking also. So why do people get married so late these days. They did not know the health implications of late pregnancy? 

Ovaries and eggs are all affected by our age. Yet people still wanna enjoy being single.

Link to post
Share on other sites

marriage talk makes me all anxious lol coz im 27 now and I should of been  married by now! 

Thing is I do get rishtas   within the last couple of months theres 3 rishtas that I can remember but I'm keep on saying no to all

I wanna meet som1 myself rather than arranged marriage   that's the thing!   that's why I'm keep on saying no      but my parents are getting inpatient as well  now.

A few weeks back at the gurdwara I had a girl come upto to me asking me if I'm married and I said  no   and she said shes asking for her cousin who wants to get married      i just said to her that I'm already with someone lol

I told my mum this and she said people are finding it really hard to get married and rishtas etc   so people are now resorting to asking at gurdware etc 

Idnno    I wanna get something sorted my the end of this yr.  I hope god has mercy on me and introduces me to som1 I would really appreciate that lol   jke 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2020 at 3:23 PM, Jonny101 said:

Ideally marriage should be at the latest 25 years of age for both genders. The later you go the more vikaars start to enter into you and you start to mess around by having many BFs before marriage. If you're going to mess around why not just get married and do it with your own spouse?

 

I have a  distant cousin. After she finished her education she was in her early 20s. My parents asked her father when she will get married. He laughed it off as if something weird was asked and said "oh don't worry she will marry after but first she has to work a few years and make her career". They delayed her marriage even though she was getting rishte but they kept on rejecting it because they wanted her to make her career. By the time she reached 30 she found a Muslim and married him. Her parents felt so embarrassed they didn't invite most of the relatives to the wedding.

 

Another case in my relatives is of a girl who was 24 still studying to become a doctor. Her parents found a Rishta. The boy was also studying to become a doctor. They had them married while they were still studying. Today both of them are doctors. Once they became MDs they had their first child.

 

 

Yep marrying young is key. Not to young though. 25 is a good age to marry. People often regret when they leave it to late. You need to be young and health to look after your kids. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use