Thoughts about migrating to Canada. Is the hassle worth it ?

So as you guys probably know I live in a congested, tier-A1 metro city of India where some of the richest and poorest people co-exist . I am from a middle-class though and only live in a 1-BHK apartment with my family .

But last evening with a casual chat with a school friend , came to knew he has migrated to toronto , ontario lol. He has the same education as me, and same age as me . I was left wondering what I was doing and why I wasn't trying hard to migrate to canada. I don't know whether I should continue with a relatively comfortable life here in india or immigrate. 

Hence I am asking you folks a honest opinion. Should I try ??

7 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

So as you guys probably know I live in a congested, tier-A1 metro city of India where some of the richest and poorest people co-exist . I am from a middle-class though and only live in a 1-BHK apartment with my family .

But last evening with a casual chat with a school friend , came to knew he has migrated to toronto , ontario lol. He has the same education as me, and same age as me . I was left wondering what I was doing and why I wasn't trying hard to migrate to canada. I don't know whether I should continue with a relatively comfortable life here in india or immigrate. 

Hence I am asking you folks a honest opinion. Should I try ??

If your company has offices in Canada,  you could do an intercompany transfer. 

Your conditions might be different from your friend.

Things to consider:

-cost of living

-jobs (be careful about 'Canadian experience', they don't always recognise foreign qualifications and you may need to re-train. You may need to start at a junior role if you are already at a more senior position. 

-you may need to rent a basement when you start off. 

-weather. Toronto has some heavy duty winter with heavy snow but very hot summers. You may prefer it to the humid weather of Mumbai.

-you have a wife and kid, your folks will be back in India, so you may not have the support structure. 

Canada has a points system immigration where they look at look at your age,qualifications, profession, savings etc.

Just be mindful that there are a lot of professionals that move to Canada and then find it difficult to get a job because they don't have 'Canadian Experience ' and then have to deliver pizzas for a living.

That is why Canada is more preferable for rural uneducated Punjabi folk because for them they can do the farming and trucking etc.

I think the question here is 

1) What does one obtain by immigrating to canada ?

2) what is fulfilled by coming there which is not obtained here ?

3) How does being a sikh affect life in canada , now and 10 years later down the line ? will white supremacists rear their ugly heads ? what will happen then

49 minutes ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

3) How does being a sikh affect life in canada , now and 10 years later down the line ? will white supremacists rear their ugly heads ? what will happen then

At least you are answering the right questions for the first 2.

As to your 3rd question, you won't really have a problem with white supremacists in PC Canada. 

Toronto is practically a minority majority.  It is far too multi-cultural. 

Canada is a sparsely populated country full  of beauties of nature . But at the same time, major economic hub cities (which is where I would have to live considering I have to work in corporate) like toronto , montreal , etc are densely populated but still nowhere as dense as mumbai lol 

But I see it becoming mumbai-like in another 20 yrs, albeit with a better infrastructure. Also I am likely to be surrounded by indians in major cities of canada, which makes me wonder thats just another india with better infrastructure. 

Also important to consider is how expensive is the cost of living there. A bit search on internet revealed its many times more expensive than mumbai

I see there're many on this forum who live in UK perhaps and are homesick . Why is it so ? is uk a shithole compared to canada ? I see they both fall under the queen

13 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

That is why Canada is more preferable for rural uneducated Punjabi folk because for them they can do the farming and trucking etc.

its good for them. hopefully their kids will get better education and become professionals 

12 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

The biggest difference between India and any western country is law and order and human rights and very little corruption in daily life. Corruption can exist in higher political and business circles. In India corruption is rampant, the police have no respect for human rights and justice comes at a price. In the west a court case whether criminal or civil can at best last a few months, but in India you can be on remand for many years and even if you are found not guilty in the end there is no compensation. If you want your family to have a better future and to live more a secure life then you should definitely be looking to get out of India. If you live in Mumbai or any other urban area in India, then these cities are shytholes compared to western cities. But instead of rushing in you need to do your proper research on your and your wife's employment prospects in the west, start networking with people in the west etc. The more time you take and the more prepared you are then your increase the chances of your move aboard a success. If anything the lockdowns across the world should give you a lot more time to do your research.