Are there any good books on what daily life was like under british rule in punjab and in sikh princely states?

genie

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

Look, we are still, to this day, largely still under the shadow of 'the colonial narrative' that has skewed everything to make the colonists look good. And frankly, our people seem the last to be able to see through these 'Jedi mind tricks'. 

One of the most conspicuous things about the anglocentric world, prior to very recent times (and largely, if not solely, due to the proliferation of the internet as a communication tool) was the outright steel grip they had on narratives. During colonialism, people who simply wrote anticolonial poems were targeted and had to go underground (i.e. Raghbir Singh Bir). Letters from Sikh sepoys from abroad were heavily monitored and censored. Many apnay had vested interests in colonial rule because they succumbed to it and were employed by it. I think many people (not all!) were scared to speak against it. When you think of things like Jallianwala Bagh, you'd realise why.  

So you have to be like an investigative journalist to find out the scrubbed narratives of people who weren't singing it's praises. 

5 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Look, we are still, to this day, largely still under the shadow of 'the colonial narrative' that has skewed everything to make the colonists look good. And frankly, our people seem the last to be able to see through these 'Jedi mind tricks'. 

One of the most conspicuous things about the anglocentric world, prior to very recent times (and largely, if not solely, due to the proliferation of the internet as a communication tool) was the outright steel grip they had on narratives. During colonialism, people who simply wrote anticolonial poems were targeted and had to go underground (i.e. Raghbir Singh Bir). Letters from Sikh sepoys from abroad were heavily monitored and censored. Many apnay had vested interests in colonial rule because they succumbed to it and were employed by it. I think many people (not all!) were scared to speak against it. When you think of things like Jallianwala Bagh, you'd realise why.  

So you have to be like an investigative journalist to find out the scrubbed narratives of people who weren't singing it's praises. 

how did the british manage to subdue traditional sikh instruments and raag, and forced sikhs to use harmonium for keertan?