Wasting on the Internet and media

I been starting to wonder as modern day Sikhs, we're surrounded by all this technology, are we wasting our time not reading Bani, practising Shastar Vidiya, more from a personal point of view I'm in my mid twenties and my mind keep stopping me from reading more Bani, and I have the urge to watch old football videos which will have no positive impact on sikhi or my life, just another form of procrastination. 

What's the best way to focus the mind? 

I'm around your age aswell and internet can be very distracting   especially with this current lockdown. But internet is great to learn  more about sikhi too. You can watch katha online, simran, learn pronunciation of bani etc  and learn more about sikh way of life ... 

what I do is make a mental plan of what I want to do throughout the day   like if I'm reading a book I set myself a target of reading atleast 30 pages    or make sure I read japji saint twise  and do some simran  and do 20 min cardio etc   set yourself a target of what you want to do    that way you have less distractions   and if your able to do what you had planned you feel satisfied by the end. 

My biggest problem is not sleeping on time because I find something interesting to watch  then waking up in the morning becomes a struggle ... 

Amazing, lets all make an effort to increase our bani, read a little more or learn a new shabad or bani every day. Even 5 or 10 min a day on top of what your doing or a couple hours extra set aside for your development especially if your not working and have lots of free time.

Let use our time positively to imrpove our jeevan and get Gurujis blessings.

On 5/7/2020 at 9:59 PM, Guptfaujhayes said:

I been starting to wonder as modern day Sikhs, we're surrounded by all this technology, are we wasting our time not reading Bani, practising Shastar Vidiya, more from a personal point of view I'm in my mid twenties and my mind keep stopping me from reading more Bani, and I have the urge to watch old football videos which will have no positive impact on sikhi or my life, just another form of procrastination. 

What's the best way to focus the mind? 

I think the problem some of us(including me)don't understand completely what we are reading and reciting. When you are watching football or general tv you understand and it evokes emotion.

3 minutes ago, Singh375 said:

Don’t let that bother you too much. Some Gianis who did katha their whole life still don’t understand gurbani!

Guru Nanak Dev Ji gave some much praise to just ‘listening’ to God’s name. Listening will give you everything. See  pauri 8 to 11 of japji sahib

This the problem, it will only get you to a certain level, its like when we read Japji Sahib and there is a "Rahuu" you are supposed to pause, think and contemplate. However we all go on just reading as fast as possible, so we feel good and can say yeah I did Japji Sahib today