On 5/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, Singh375 said:

During first 5 Guru's time, Sikhs would have worn very simple turban styles. The sole purpose was to keep our uncut hair covered and clean. By time of Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji things changed. It was time for Sikhs to fight against injustice and protect the innocent. The Sikh bana (chola, big kachera, dumala, kamarkassa, gatra with kirpan) was created as our warrior uniform. It was designed to be practical for fighting, horse riding etc. Certain colours became favored like blue, orange and yellow.

Suddenly Sikhs had a strong identity, and they were tyar bar tyar. Dumala is the best turban style for battle. It won't fall off easy, it acts as protection for your head, and could be used to hold shastar like chakar. Guru Gobind Singh Ji made our identity even more stand out, "there's a Sikh", by giving hukam of keeping 5Ks

Dumala carried on from that time. After battles were over slowly the dumala shastar became less frequently seen, dumala sizes became smaller. Today each group has their own interpretation of it. Nihang Singh's are very tyar bar tyar - their dumalas reflect this normally having chakars or shastar on. 

I used to tie taksali dumala - because taksal is what I was looking at growing up. I admired people like Sant Jarnail Singh Ji (still do)

Relevance of bana and dumala today

I realized bana is our 'jang di paishak' (battle uniform). I have serious respect for bana but think there's a time and place for it. For my office job I tie patiala shahi style pagh and it looks incredibly smart with a suit and tie under which I wear 3 inch kirpan. But for playing gatka I tie dumala, wear chola, big kachera and a 9 inch kirpan in gatra which I proudly wear over, not under, clothing

great explanation thx brother. Also do you know were i can order a taksali gutka  online?

19 minutes ago, Singh375 said:

I don’t think it’s possible to order gutka sahib online. Because delivery parcels get thrown about and left on the floor meaning no guarantee of satkar

Do you live in UK? Best option really is next time you go India to buy from there. Or ask someone going to buy for you. Lots of gurdwaras there have shops with gutka sahibs. Definitely outside Harmandir Sahib you can get them

im from canada and there is a gurudwara with a sikh shop with gutka sahibs. but the shop is closed right now due to covid. i guess ill just wait till its open then

29 minutes ago, Singh375 said:

I don’t think it’s possible to order gutka sahib online. Because delivery parcels get thrown about and left on the floor meaning no guarantee of satkar

Do you live in UK? Best option really is next time you go India to buy from there. Or ask someone going to buy for you. Lots of gurdwaras there have shops with gutka sahibs. Definitely outside Harmandir Sahib you can get them

paji, i am a 13 year old and im very interested in the taksal and the mahapurkhs who were taksali. i have a question about a mahapurkh. Why did sant baba thakur singh ji bhindranwale say sant jarnail singh ji khalsa is alive? and which sant thakur singh ji said that was it the one thats alive today or the one that used to wear a white dastaar?