Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Singh375

Gursikhi Jeevan and Lockdown

Recommended Posts

WJKK WJKF Sangat Ji,

How has your Gursikhi jeevan been affected by working from home (or staying at home)? Whether you’re a child, employed, unemployed, study, have children to look after – whatever. Would be really interesting to read your experiences.

I’m in my 20s and work full time. Sikhi is important to me and I would normally feel guilty not being able to do more than 7 baania due to having a busy day. After work I'd visit the Gurdwara sahib and spend 1hr doing sangat. Following a busy day in the office being able to close eyes and listen to kirtan with sangat around me was a much needed spiritual boost.

Now with lockdown I really miss sangat. Not just doing sangat but the small interactions too. For example speaking to kids following Sikhi for whom doing kirtan daily at gurdwara was a big part of their lives.

Now my days are spent working from home on laptop definitely feeling something missing without physical sangat. Have been listening to bani like Asa di vaar or Sukhmani Sahib in kirtan roop while working. Sometimes when running late for work I had to leave Anand Sahib and do it during lunch break. But have found nitnem is more raas filled now as I have time to do it slowly
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Koi said:

Darshan of the Guru 🙏🏾.

Yes absolutely. Without Guru there’s total darkness in our life 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like it has given a lot of people more time to dedicate towards sikhi, I've seen loads of people starting sehaj paath at home on tik tok.

Although, I do feel I need to do a good few ardasa to help the transition going back to work and keeping up my Amritvela lol our bodies have kind of got used to being a little less active.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Singh

Lockdown gave my family a chance to slow down, appreciate life more and practice the sikh faith together  

With my 2 kids we do panj bania together in morning, and rehras in evening followed by some waheguru simran for sarbat da bhala. 

So proud of my son and daughter who learnt the Japji Sahib by heart. We’re working on Jaap sahib trying to teach them a few lines each day

There’s an exciting chardi kala vibe in my home which I can only thank Waheguru ji for. If I haven’t made it to the living room by 5pm to start rehras my son is running into the home office to drag me there - and I love him for it.

I feel more tyar bar tyar too by improving fitness. We began 1hr walks each afternoon and longer on weekends. The kids normally run ahead so I get some quality talking time with my wonderful wife. We had some really cool discussions about simran while walking 

I don’t know what happens next. I’m really hoping we can continue to follow sikhi as a very united family after the pandemic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 4:07 PM, Guest Singh said:

Lockdown gave my family a chance to slow down, appreciate life more and practice the sikh faith together  

With my 2 kids we do panj bania together in morning, and rehras in evening followed by some waheguru simran for sarbat da bhala. 

So proud of my son and daughter who learnt the Japji Sahib by heart. We’re working on Jaap sahib trying to teach them a few lines each day

There’s an exciting chardi kala vibe in my home which I can only thank Waheguru ji for. If I haven’t made it to the living room by 5pm to start rehras my son is running into the home office to drag me there - and I love him for it.

I feel more tyar bar tyar too by improving fitness. We began 1hr walks each afternoon and longer on weekends. The kids normally run ahead so I get some quality talking time with my wonderful wife. We had some really cool discussions about simran while walking 

I don’t know what happens next. I’m really hoping we can continue to follow sikhi as a very united family after the pandemic. 

Waow this is amazing, may waheguru ji continue to shower his grace on you all. Keep up the chardikala spirit!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Mandeep

Older generation got access to more gurbani than ever before now. I taught my parents how to use YouTube (which was already inbuilt app on their tv) and they are amazed how much stuff they can watch. Like old kirtan recordings they haven’t heard in years and live telecasts from gurdwars 

My parents are really happy now. It’s kind of broadened their horizons from the daily just doing matah tek at gurdwara and reading path at home to experiencing more wider gurbani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Curious

 

On 5/31/2020 at 4:07 PM, Guest Singh said:

Lockdown gave my family a chance to slow down, appreciate life more and practice the sikh faith together  

With my 2 kids we do panj bania together in morning, and rehras in evening followed by some waheguru simran for sarbat da bhala. 

So proud of my son and daughter who learnt the Japji Sahib by heart. We’re working on Jaap sahib trying to teach them a few lines each day

There’s an exciting chardi kala vibe in my home which I can only thank Waheguru ji for. If I haven’t made it to the living room by 5pm to start rehras my son is running into the home office to drag me there - and I love him for it.

I feel more tyar bar tyar too by improving fitness. We began 1hr walks each afternoon and longer on weekends. The kids normally run ahead so I get some quality talking time with my wonderful wife. We had some really cool discussions about simran while walking 

I don’t know what happens next. I’m really hoping we can continue to follow sikhi as a very united family after the pandemic. 

How old are you children? Are you and your wife uk born? Do you help out with kids? What time do you and your kids do morning Nitnem?

Reason I ask all this is because I find uk born husbands tend to help out more with children than those of us who have a husband from india. So I guess i am just comparing. Sorry if i seem too nosey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Singh
On 6/7/2020 at 1:46 AM, Guest Curious said:

 

How old are you children? Are you and your wife uk born? Do you help out with kids? What time do you and your kids do morning Nitnem?

Reason I ask all this is because I find uk born husbands tend to help out more with children than those of us who have a husband from india. So I guess i am just comparing. Sorry if i seem too nosey.

That’s interesting, I don’t know anyone who married a husband from India well enough to know how much their husband helps out. But I strongly believe dads should do a fair share with the kids!

Yes we are both uk born. My wife is a school teacher who’s been part time since giving birth and I’m an IT project manager.

My daughter is 13 and son 11. Honestly my wife has done a big share of house work and looking after kids, but that’s because I was working full time. I got a new job last year which has flexible working, so now I help more at home.

My wife will return to full time work in September when my son starts Secondary school, so I will be helping even more. For example picking kids up from school and house chores 

Before lockdown kids did 5 pauria Japji sahib each morning. Doing nitnem together was part of our plan to make sure the kids don’t break the habit of getting up at school time

We start paath at 8am taking about 45 mins. If the kids are in a good mood they try to read along otherwise just listen to us read it. 9am they start their school work until 11:30 (breaks included between subjects). By 12 kids have had lunch and we walk until 1pm. We make the kids do 1 more hour learning which might be reading, learning something Sikhi related or watching an educational video. Then rest of the day they can do as they wish. We increased bed time to 10pm but are still strict about them following it and they normally wake up at 7am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 7:17 PM, Guest Singh said:

But I strongly believe dads should do a fair share with the kids!

I agree!

Thanks for sharing your experiences Veer Ji, really awesome! This tuk came to mind reading your replies:

“Ghar Ghar Andar Dharamsaal Hovai Keertan Sadha Visoa" – Bhai Gurdas Ji

Best wishes to you and your family 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use