Giani Gian Singh Almast ji Puratan Raagi Singh

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Living in the West most of us are aware of humorous sexual or biological colloquial terms. There's a difference between a surname -- that largely cannot be changed -- and intentionally burdening a child with a dodgy forename from a long list of non-dodgy possibilities. I wouldn't use my child to make a haughty cultural argument in order to highlight gorah ignorance. The kid has to go out into the world and live with his/her name every day of their life. Doing it out of ignorance is one thing; purposefully bestowing a horrible name where someone will be victim to guffaws (despite knowing the implications of the name) their entire life is the height of cruelty.
    • Singh of the Heartfelt yep scans great...how about lovepreet  (double ironic) Manpreet is bad as we are meant to love Akal Purukh not our Man , I could understand Livleen  not Lovleen     people don't know Punjabi/gurmukhi or sanskrit  meanings and just make a mess creating milgoba hindu sounding names
    • remember akal security was doing the same and worse in immigration centres near mexican border to Singh , this included shaving and cutting the Singh's kesh. And 3HO should be respected as a sikh organisation ...haha I don't think so
    • OK, I figured out what Har5hit means. The base shows up in Gurbani as ਹਰਖ and ਹਰਸ (harkh and haras). It means happiness, delight.   ਦਰਸਨ ਪਰਸਨ ਸਰਸਨ ਹਰਸਨ ਰੰਗਿ ਰੰਗੀ ਕਰਤਾਰੀ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ On beholding and touching it, I am sweetened and delighted. It is imbued with creator's love. p404 ਹਰਖੁ ਸੋਗੁ ਸਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥ harakh sog sabh moh gavaia .p122  Happiness sadness and attachment were all lost.   ਹਰਸ਼ਿਤ would be the adjectival form and simply means happy or delighted. Like ਅਨੰਦ -> ਅਨੰਦਿਤ.   If you want to name your child "Happy" you can use an alternative form such as Harkhit, which would mean the same thing because sh can become kh in Punjabi. (Often not so for Hindi/Sanskrit). There doesn't seem to be a reason for a Punjabi to use a Hindi form, unless they are self-haters.
    • Ok, yeah, because a lot of them are same-ish, people lose appreciation for that, I can see that. Gur-Preet is fine because we're supposed have love of Guru ji. A lot of other prefix/suffix names are undecipherable because parents just threw together syllables without a thought to the meaning. There are a lot of non-suffix names available if parents would bother to read Gurbani and other Sikh literature. Or even ordinary Punjabi words, like ਰੰਗੀਨ (Rungeen, colorful).

Important Information

Terms of Use