USA Burning

33 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

The public humiliation visited on slaves when they were forced to have sex with their own family members in front of the slave master and entire plantation as a form of punishment. Gave birth to the word mother <banned word filter activated>. 

Oh yes, I remember. There's nothing really to be disputed about that, not that I'd want to. 

I'm just concerned about the precedences being set at the moment. Some things can't be rolled back when they've been exposed to air. The mistakes of a few shouldn't be meted out on the blameless majority.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:08 AM, dallysingh101 said:

When the explosion of anger happens, people on the periphery will exploit it. It's not right, but it happens.  

I do not like this protesting here in the UK. The racism here is not anything in the same level as USA.

it judge gives any criminals and dodgy people who want an excuse, to break the rules and shout and be violent at the police and potentially others too

i think that society in the UK could ironically get more divided as a result of the protests 

5 hours ago, Premi5 said:

I do not like this protesting here in the UK. The racism here is not anything in the same level as USA.

it judge gives any criminals and dodgy people who want an excuse, to break the rules and shout and be violent at the police and potentially others too

i think that society in the UK could ironically get more divided as a result of the protests 

I don't like the a**-kissing to America.

I don't recall any protests in the US when we had riots in UK back in 2011. 

6 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I don't like the a**-kissing to America.

I don't recall any protests in the US when we had riots in UK back in 2011. 

There's a desire on the part of some UK black people to indulge the cultural cache of the historically oppressed blacks of the United States.

These types, particularly the leading lights of the movement in the UK, are, ironically, those who are from some of the more privileged backgrounds, but various sources have convinced them that individual distinctions owing to the specific European country in which black people exist -- and that specific country's historical relationship with its black population -- are irrelevant. My theory is it's almost a copy of the Islamic ummah concept. Blackness overrides all distinctions.

I wouldn't go as far to say some of them have a persecution complex (the idea that they want to be viewed as oppressed in order to validate their worldview), but the romanticism and almost spiritual mystique afforded to the civil rights movement headed by the likes of Martin Luther King, as well as other notable personalities such as Rosa Parks and Malcolm X (who was obviously not one for peaceful protests), means there's an undoubtedly powerful draw to being considered part of such a global movement even if the European black experience with race-based oppression does not resemble the American experience. It's still definitely a unifying concept that surpasses borders.

There's certainly been flashpoints and incidents in Europe between black people and native groups, but the U.S. is another league when it comes to its relationship with its black population. When these demonstrations break out in places such as the UK, it seems very hollow and disingenuous, almost as if it's a mockery of the genuine struggle taking place across the pond.  It's very interesting. There's clearly nothing objectionable to standing in solidarity with black brothers across the Atlantic, but to claim the European-based black experience with systemic racism is comparable to the American experience is utterly wrong.

12 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

There's a desire on the part of some UK black people to indulge the cultural cache of the historically oppressed blacks of the United States.

These types, particularly the leading lights of the movement in the UK, are, ironically, those who are from some of the more privileged backgrounds, but various sources have convinced them that individual distinctions owing to the specific European country in which black people exist -- and that specific country's historical relationship with its black population -- are irrelevant. My theory is it's almost a copy of the Islamic ummah concept. Blackness overrides all distinctions.

I wouldn't go as far to say some of them have a persecution complex (the idea that they want to be viewed as oppressed in order to validate their worldview), but the romanticism and almost spiritual mystique afforded to the civil rights movement headed by the likes of Martin Luther King, as well as other notable personalities such as Rosa Parks and Malcolm X (who was obviously not one for peaceful protests), means there's an undoubtedly powerful draw to being considered part of such a global movement even if the European black experience with race-based oppression does not resemble the American experience. It's still definitely a unifying concept that surpasses borders.

There's certainly been flashpoints and incidents in Europe between black people and native groups, but the U.S. is another league when it comes to its relationship with its black population. When these demonstrations break out in places such as the UK, it seems very hollow and disingenuous, almost as if it's a mockery of the genuine struggle taking place across the pond.  It's very interesting. There's clearly nothing objectionable to standing in solidarity with black brothers across the Atlantic, but to claim the European-based black experience with systemic racism is comparable to the American experience is utterly wrong.

Those are very good points.

There is definitely romanticism with US black experience. But it is one way.

The US blacks are just typically like all other Americans in their solipsism. 

There are riots breaking out in France all the time and there are a lot of black people in France (probably more than the UK) but you never see UK blacks showing any solidarity with the French blacks.

The irony about Malcolm X is that after he did his pilgrimage to Mecca, he changed his perspective on relationship with white people.

But he has become a Che Guevara like icon with his "by any means necessary " line. He is a brand name. 

19 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Those are very good points.

There is definitely romanticism with US black experience. But it is one way.

The US blacks are just typically like all other Americans in their solipsism. 

There are riots breaking out in France all the time and there are a lot of black people in France (probably more than the UK) but you never see UK blacks showing any solidarity with the French blacks.

The irony about Malcolm X is that after he did his pilgrimage to Mecca, he changed his perspective on relationship with white people.

But he has become a Che Guevara like icon with his "by any means necessary " line. He is a brand name. 

It should be called Black American Lives Matter. The Americans don't give a damn about what happens in any other country.

I was going to write something about besti, but then I remembered that picture of the Singh from a couple of years back when he was willingly holding an umbrella over a Muslim's head as he prayed, and I thought we're in no position to point fingers at anyone.

What are whites doing? They're digging their own graves. Nobody respects these humiliating acts of public self-flaggellation. It signals defeat.

11 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I was going to write something about besti, but then I remembered that picture of the Singh from a couple of years back when he was willingly holding an umbrella over a Muslim's head as he prayed, and I thought we're in no position to point fingers at anyone.

What are whites doing? They're digging their own graves. Nobody respects these humiliating acts of public self-flaggellation. It signals defeat.

That is what TPTB want to happen.