Moving to Canada

Premi5

On 6/3/2020 at 6:40 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

OK Good. You've obviously visited alot - liked what you experienced and have now decided to make the big move ?

Oh Jesus Christ !!!  ?

You've just described 95% of the Canadian Sikh community. Only 5% actually live in big, internationally known cities, such as Toronto or Vancouver. The other 95% live in totally different and separate cities that are close to the aforementioned cities, such as the City of Brampton or the City of Surrey. However, once you become Canadian you will become like them and tell the rest of the world you live in Toronto or Vancouver.

I would hope you were "aware". It is, after all, the largest and most well known Sikh community in the world. Even sheep farmers in Bulgaria are "aware".

? You really do need to visit Canada before making the decision to emigrate mate. Surrey's national reputation in Canada is one of drugs, homelessness, crime and chavs.

Yes you know full well I lived there. I've written so extensively here about the neighbourhood we lived in (the old traditional Sikh neighbourhood of the City of Vancouver - the Sunset neighbourhood) - that I really shouldn't have to write about it again. Shouldn't and won't.

Everything except petrol and coffee cost a lot more than the UK. And I mean a HELLAVA LOT MORE !!   

Finally. Ranjeet is actually absolutely correct with what he said about the employment situation. It's not like the UK where getting good jobs is so easy. In Canada, even Canadian born graduates spend ages and literally hundreds if not thousands of applications before they land a decent job. And, it's not like the UK where international qualifications are counted the same as domestic ones. Canada quite simply does NOT in any shape or form recognise international qualifications, including from the UK. I know highly educated and experienced people there from places like Germany, the UK and Poland etc that work as cleaners there because Canada doesn't recognise their qualifications. It's hard enough getting a good educated job there even when you're Canadian. You'd be very naive if you think they're gonna make it easy for you.

Thanks for your input, you are a very positive-minded person, happy to see others do well in life.

Of course I will not just rush into settling there. As I have said, I have done my research and my qualifications are fully recognised in Canada, and I can get a job easily due to job vacancies in my work sector. I can start working as an equal and complete any other requirements over a few years. 

And, I have a gora friend here in the UK who used to live in Surrey, and all he had to say were good things about Sikhs and Surrey

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

Thanks for your input, you are a very positive-minded person, happy to see others do well in life.

Of course I will not just rush into settling there. As I have said, I have done my research and my qualifications are fully recognised in Canada, and I can get a job easily due to job vacancies in my work sector. I can start working as an equal and complete any other requirements over a few years. 

And, I have a gora friend here in the UK who used to live in Surrey, and all he had to say were good things about Sikhs and Surrey

Word of caution: in Canada, they will only offer you a role if they cannot find a Canadian to do it.

Also please note that Surrey is not a suburb of Vancouver  and is a city in it's own right. I think there are probably nearly half a million people living there now. So there are areas that not so pleasant as others in the city. 

The pace of life there is  slower and being that you live in South East of England, you are more used to hustle and bustle .

In general, the goreh over there are more outdoors type of people. They like hiking, cycling, fishing, hunting etc.

People in general there are more friendly to strangers. What I mean by that is in London and in the home counties, people on public transport don't talk to each other. Over in Canada (generalising here), if you are on public transport, complete strangers will strike up a conversation with you. If you are from the UK, it will seem very strange as you won't be used to it.

So prepare to adapt to a different environment. 

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
On 6/6/2020 at 11:44 AM, Premi5 said:

Man I'm not saying don't go. I'm just saying don't go without doing your homework first. Life is not always greener on the other side. In my experience, as a rough estimate, about 30% of the Sikhs that emigrate from the UK Midlands pack up and come back home within a year and that figure is over 50% for the UK Sikhs from London and the South. But....you've obviously made up your mind to go so let's offer you some constructive advice:

You are UK born, i.e. born and raised in the west. None of your counterparts in Canada, i.e. those born and raised in Canada, would ever consider living in Surrey. Those born in Surrey try and get out as quick as possible because Surrey's reputation as chav central is known nationwide. Only desis from India actually want to live in Surrey. Of course there are exceptions, such as the area around South Surrey near White Rock, but those areas are so exclusive I very much doubt you'd be able to afford living there. As for Vancouver.....even in the traditional Sikhs areas - such as Sunset - a normal house (about the same size a normal UK detached house) cost $2 million plus. The good thing though is that up to 75% of your mortgage will be covered by renting out your basement and back garage conversion. And, unlike dull, ugly boring Toronto, it is aesthetically beautiful. Truly beautiful natural setting. The climate year-round is almost exactly the same as London and the city has a wonderful laid back hippy atmosphere about it. Be warned though....the difference between rich and poor in Vancouver is so stark it can be a very upsetting thing to see for European eyes. Parts of downtown Vancouver have poverty and deprivation - and out in the open drug use - that more resemble war-torn Bosnia and Bogota than what you would expect to see in a developed country.  All in all in....in summary....given that we live here in the UK, in a country that has had 60,000 coronavirus deaths in the past 2 months and we seem to be governed by incompetent bungling ninkenpoops....I don't blame you for wanting to leave. Hope it works out for you my friend.

3 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

Man I'm not saying don't go. I'm just saying don't go without doing your homework first. Life is not always greener on the other side. In my experience, as a rough estimate, about 30% of the Sikhs that emigrate from the UK Midlands pack up and come back home within a year and that figure is over 50% for the UK Sikhs from London and the South. But....you've obviously made up your mind to go so let's offer you some constructive advice:

You are UK born, i.e. born and raised in the west. None of your counterparts in Canada, i.e. those born and raised in Canada, would ever consider living in Surrey. Those born in Surrey try and get out as quick as possible because Surrey's reputation as chav central is known nationwide. Only desis from India actually want to live in Surrey. Of course there are exceptions, such as the area around South Surrey near White Rock, but those areas are so exclusive I very much doubt you'd be able to afford living there. As for Vancouver.....even in the traditional Sikhs areas - such as Sunset - a normal house (about the same size a normal UK detached house) cost $2 million plus. The good thing though is that up to 75% of your mortgage will be covered by renting out your basement and back garage conversion. And, unlike dull, ugly boring Toronto, it is aesthetically beautiful. Truly beautiful natural setting. The climate year-round is almost exactly the same as London and the city has a wonderful laid back hippy atmosphere about it. Be warned though....the difference between rich and poor in Vancouver is so stark it can be a very upsetting thing to see for European eyes. Parts of downtown Vancouver have poverty and deprivation - and out in the open drug use - that more resemble war-torn Bosnia and Bogota than what you would expect to see in a developed country.  All in all in....in summary....given that we live here in the UK, in a country that has had 60,000 coronavirus deaths in the past 2 months and we seem to be governed by incompetent bungling ninkenpoops....I don't blame you for wanting to leave. Hope it works out for you my friend.

Thanks, very helpful

i definitely will/must visit first and will do so just after the summer

On 6/3/2020 at 3:03 AM, Premi5 said:

Dear Sangat

I am thinking of moving to Canada - specifically around Vancouver area. There are job opportunities for me

I would like to be near the city, but not living in it. Up to 25 miles

I am aware that there is large Sikh community which will be helpful.

What are good areas to live, but which are not ghettoised ? I am only aware of Surrey which seems to be a nice area. Mission apparently not a great place

Anyone made the move? What about getting housing, food etc

idk bout housing food ect. but abbotsford is like a more quieter surrey nd theres 4 gurudwaras in our small city. also, one of the oldest gurudwaras of canada is in abbotsford

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh
12 hours ago, KhoonKaBadlaKhoon2 said:

People are not jumping over each other to get out of Surrey. Lots of migration within Surrey. The city is probably the fastest growing in the Vancouver region. South Surrey is nice, but it is not the only nice area in the city. If you want to move to Vancouver area, just be prepared for the expensive cost. 

Yeah I'm not saying I personally agree with the wider perception of Surrey but you have to agree that living in Surrey does carry a certain stigma......rightly or wrongly.  As my extended family are nearly all in Vancouver they go to great lengths to remind people that they live in Vancouver and NOT surrey. By and large, Surrey is great for freshies from India and people who cannot afford to live in Vancouver. You will find people with money there and you will find people with education there. But you will not find people with money, education AND ambition there. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/alex-sangha/message-to-surrey-bashers_b_6576178.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAsBzrN1wofF1l1FGC4aHyJWwEjRbODOz3PERAUTX7DzE8QyBj5jkOe04uDjt1diI7-nPT0zqw5mnE3fnGU56WmjVdHTp9g5o_YW-nEBlBdHcde2wC9UsbcVIkcenpbynSnDlLEH8ol1Xjp4ac4rjCqypikhUNFKwg0iG5WbCXLS

but abbotsford is like a more quieter surrey nd theres 4 gurudwaras in our small city. also, one of the oldest gurudwaras of canada is in abbotsford

Personally I love Abbortsford but man, how's he going to commute to Vancouver for work everyday ? Seriously, I'm genuinely interested. It would be considered far in UK terms but I suppose in Canadian terms it's actually quite local. Do people generally do that commute for work ?

Guest Surrey-Man32
11 hours ago, akaaliKhalsa1699 said:

I was born and bred in Surrey and I can guarantee you this much that Surrey is the last place anyone should emigrate to, especially from the Uk. I left Surrey in 1990 and never went back. UK is much nicer than Canada in every way. The British are lot more sophisticated, mannerful, mind their Ps and Qs, know their table and manners, are very refined generally with good bedside manner. They are generally easy to get on with, are very aware of other people’s culture and are more willing to accept you even as you are. The English are the best and everyone thinks very highly of them all over the world. 

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
6 hours ago, Guest Surrey-Man32 said:

I was born and bred in Surrey and I can guarantee you this much that Surrey is the last place anyone should emigrate to, especially from the Uk. I left Surrey in 1990 and never went back. UK is much nicer than Canada in every way. The British are lot more sophisticated, mannerful, mind their Ps and Qs, know their table and manners, are very refined generally with good bedside manner. They are generally easy to get on with, are very aware of other people’s culture and are more willing to accept you even as you are. The English are the best and everyone thinks very highly of them all over the world. 

You know...I've often wondered about the IQ of Mods here on this website. I mean, when they see a message like the one above from a 'guest' I'd love to know the computation that went on in their brains in which they came to the conclusion that it was a genuine message from a genuine person and not a spam message designed to disrupt the thread ?

On 6/9/2020 at 8:36 AM, Guest Surrey-Man32 said:

I’ve never been to uk, but ur point is very tru.