38 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

That's another cringe-inspiring manifestation. 

The oafish young brother in his father's big ride, with a big Khanda hanging from his mirror, blaring monotonous bhangra down the road. I think people are getting clued up about how dumb this looks in eastside though.  

But isnt that just young people being young. Many young people do that regardless of race/ethnicity. It's just something young people do. I personally dont see anything wrong with that. Most guys around my age do that regardless of race/ethnicity

Punjabi culture is a multi-faceted. We are multi-dimensional people not a one-dimensional people. 

Bhangra is far too emphasised, it makes me cringe if I am watching the BBC and there something remotely  Asian on and then there is some bhangra track on in the background. 

It makes us look one-dimensional. 

However the reality is we have percussion instruments in our culture and we have rythm and footwork. 

Dance and music is a form of human expression. It is something in our DNA. 

But there is far more to us. One part of the culture is over-promoted. 

There is poetry, there is art, there is other literature. There are other forms of music. We like other instruments other than dhol and tabla,we have stringed instrument, horned instruments, keyboard instruments. 

Just now, Ranjeet01 said:

Punjabi culture is a multi-faceted. We are multi-dimensional people not a one-dimensional people. 

Bhangra is far too emphasised, it makes me cringe if I am watching the BBC and there something remotely  Asian on and then there is some bhangra track on in the background. 

It makes us look one-dimensional. 

However the reality is we have percussion instruments in our culture and we have rythm and footwork. 

Dance and music is a form of human expression. It is something in our DNA. 

But there is far more to us. One part of the culture is over-promoted. 

There is poetry, there is art, there is other literature. There are other forms of music. We like other instruments other than dhol and tabla,we have stringed instrument, horned instruments, keyboard instruments. 

Spot-on. The problem is these cultural aspects of a people need an organised and underlying civilisational structure, state, nation, etc., for them to be acknowledged as something worthy of respect or value. If not, it just come across as quaintly provincial traits of an unsophisticated tribe. 

12 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Spot-on. The problem is these cultural aspects of a people need an organised and underlying civilisational structure, state, nation, etc., for them to be acknowledged as something worthy of respect or value. If not, it just come across as quaintly provincial traits of an unsophisticated tribe. 

I work with many goreh. 

One of them is a former arts student, another one has a lot of interest in paintings and talk in great depth. He went to Bilbao and visited the Guggenheim gallery. 

I never paid any interest in art.

Then our Puzzled was talking in depth about Sikh Art. The level of intricacy he went into with the brush strokes, the style of art, the influences etc. 

I was totally ignorant. 

We are a sophisticated people and I am going to make an effort next time there is a Sikh Art Exhibition. 

Punjabi culture may have had some good aspect because it was based off Sikhi teachings say 50 years ago. To say the erosion had not set in even then is an understatement. punjabi culture is evolving and it is completely unrecognizable from where it started. There is no platform to hold it from changing. Take the example of a punjabi women covering her head because it's a sign of respect to God and demonstrate the integrity of the family. Today this concept is completely lost in punjabi culture. The women are not even aware such a practice existed. This virtues teaching has been replaced with flaunting the hair with various designs to express the individual personality and draw attention from others; not to mention to attract the opposite gender. There is no actual true identity for punjabi culture. Today it's what you see in punjabi movies because that's what the punjabi youth are following and tomorrow it will change as well. The colors of punjabi culture are based on flaunting your wealth and sexual appeal today. The way the punjabis carry themselves is a small difference than the whites of the west. All these changes are not harmless. They have completely left self respect behind among punjabi men and women. Punjabi culture held the women of the household as their integrity. Today the punjabi women are giving this integrity away on dance floors, in hotel bathrooms, clubs and beaches. Had a punjabi women even batted an eye at a man or vice versa all hell would have broken loose. Not today, some punjabis, started with the urban parents, encouraged dating to their daughters or allowed it by being silent as it was flaunted in the house. Alcoholism goes hand in glove with this so called harmless colors. The newer generation have left female foeticide and dowry behind, but not foeticide because when punjabi women have multiple partners. They are bound to make mistakes. But what did they take up in place of it. A drunk wife and wasting there parents money on lavish weddings and purchases. Give up two wrong things and take up another two. This is not improvement by any standards. Drunk men and women, prime reason to live is accumulate wealth, and open display of sexual appeal. These are the main problems facing the Sikhs today. Bhangra has aggravated all these issues and is driving punjabis further into the pit of hell. Bhangra created today's youth. All the hall parties blasted bhangra music and decade by decade the tunes became more lustful, and egotistical. The bhangra parties gave the punjabi youth a venue where they can mingle with the opposite gender and destroy the punjabi family integrity. This is no secret but punjabis will deny it because that's what they are good.  Chamkila had already started the trend for lustful music for the older generations.   So the effect of bhangra was already seen.  But like a good slave, let's ignore this and continue down the path to say its harmless colors.

If anyone is serious about reviving punjabi culture. Than Sikhi teachings have to be implemented. And this means getting rid of bhangra; the vehicle that started this mess. Alcohol plays a key role in this as well. And it's not about banning bhangra. It starts by recognizing the damage this so called harmless color has done to the punjabi people. Have you seen the punjabi women puking because they are so drunk at bhangra parties? Ever heard about letting multiple guys make a train out of her because she is so drugged up she doesn't even know what she is doing. What about punjabi parties where the guys and girls are all on drugs and nude photos of them are being passed around? On the ground level all this is happening and some clueless people are calling it harmless colors.  

4 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Can you distinguish between a wholesome family gathering around a raging fire in a rustic Punjabi village, and a drug and alcohol-induced gang-bang accompanied to the soulless braying of Sidhu Moosewala in a Canadian nightclub?

If both scenarios are indistinguishable to you, I think you may have a problem.

Be honest for once and don't backtrack. Admit you made a mistake in understanding what I stated, or just come out and say you want all forms of non-Gurmat activities banned. Be clear with your language. Don't give me a headache with your illiteracy.

A wholesome family gathering around a fire is nothing unique to punjabi culture.  Its naive to call this punjabi culture. However even this practice has changed among punjabi youth.  They sit around a fire, but the women and men are drinking alcohol and consider this just the start of a night.  Later on they get together and go clubbing.  White families call it camping or sitting around in the backyard on a friday evening in the summer.  what I have described how punjabis have changed over time and became more accepting of sexual appeal with their women is what punjabi culture has become and this has been driven mostly because of bhangra parties under the disguise of various wedding related functions. These functions have taken the punjabi culture ethos away.  Which you  choose to call harmless.  I get it, you are old washed up and don't want to see the reality of today's punjabi youth which are defining what is punjabi culture.  You want to give punjabi culture whether it be in uk, america, or canada a rosey look that it does not hold anymore and it has lost it for many decades ago.  The new generation define what punjabi culture is and yes they want to head in the direction of open relationships with multiple people, drinking alcohol with the women, and having multiple sexual partners, even if it's at one time.  This is punjabi culture today.  What you don't want to recognize is why this happened.   You called it harmless colors, which is comical. This harmless color has destroyed the core of punjabi culture.   any good that came to punjabis is because of Sikhi.  Before Sikhi punjabis were lower caste and had no rights.  Look at history and even bhagat kabir ji left the punjabi culture behind to join with Sikhi after meeting Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji. 

I spoke of the reality of today about punjabi culture.   You wanted to place a white sheet over it, hoping no one would lift it up and expose punjabi culture for what it has become.