4 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

I had never heard of the cousin thing. That is shocking and disgusting. I had heard about Punjabis sleeping around behind closed doors, but never about incest. I imagine it is because my relations who know about it find it so appalling and shameful that they don’t even want to mention it.

It’s sad because I used to think that, despite our moral erosion, we would never stoop to certain levels (for example, cousin relationships that are apparently routine for Muslims).

I have never heard of the cousin relationships in villages either. 

But don't certain Sikh communities practice cousin-marriages, (although to a far lower extent than Muslims)? I think the Khatri community who came from Pakistan still does them but the paternal cousins can't intermarry, only maternal. 

It's not common now but a Khatri girl told me about a case in her family which happened many years back, the child sadly passed away due to health complications because the parents were cousins. 

3 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

I had never heard of the cousin thing. That is shocking and disgusting. I had heard about Punjabis sleeping around behind closed doors, but never about incest. I imagine it is because my relations who know about it find it so appalling and shameful that they don’t even want to mention it.

It’s sad because I used to think that, despite our moral erosion, we would never stoop to certain levels (for example, cousin relationships that are apparently routine for Muslims).

We don't actually, truly understand them at all. What our parents, etc., tell us is selective and contain monumental gaps. Nothing of the "culture" that's presented to us via songs, films, etc., scratches the surface. You have to spend time there on the ground to begin to see it. Just quietly sit, listen, and observe. When you're done, you think, "F**k them, they deserve to burn."

On 7/12/2022 at 11:00 AM, MisterrSingh said:

We don't actually, truly understand them at all. What our parents, etc., tell us is selective and contain monumental gaps. Nothing of the "culture" that's presented to us via songs, films, etc., scratches the surface. You have to spend time there on the ground to begin to see it. Just quietly sit, listen, and observe. When you're done, you think, "F**k them, they deserve to burn."

I remember watching some documentary about teenage pregnancies out of wedlock in Punjab. 

I confronted my my mum regarding this and she had to admit that these things have happened. 

I think the problem is that we live in a debauched western society where all these puttheh kam is out in the open.

Our people then have this sense of smug moral superiority and we grow up with the belief that we are morally superior to the goreh and we come from a morally superior community.

But when we hear about these things, it creates a cognitive dissonance because it breaks this illusion. 

On 7/13/2022 at 5:09 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

I remember watching some documentary about teenage pregnancies out of wedlock in Punjab. 

I confronted my my mum regarding this and she had to admit that these things have happened. 

I think the problem is that we live in a debauched western society where all these puttheh kam is out in the open.

Our people then have this sense of smug moral superiority and we grow up with the belief that we are morally superior to the goreh and we come from a morally superior community.

But when we hear about these things, it creates a cognitive dissonance because it breaks this illusion. 

Let's not even bring up what some of them get up to with farm animals..........<phew>