Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gurminder Singh

What’s the difference between a taksali chola

Recommended Posts

Guest Gurminder Singh

I have a few quesions

What’s the difference between a normal chola and a taksali chola 

Can you wear a pajami with a chola 

where can you get a chola sewed around Birmingham 

and is a kurta pajma a Sikh thing of indian is it okay to weae

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal (or Nihung) chola the front opening is entire length of chola. You put it on like a shirt and have buttons/fasteners on outside.

Taksali chola has a front opening from collar to lower chest. You put it on over the head - a long kurta basically.

Males generally wear big kachera with both types of chola. A pajami is optional. I wear normal chola & just kachera for gatka but otherwise wear pajami because I like having legs covered. Pajama, jeans, trousers etc. touch floor and get covered in dirt so it feels bad doing seva like chaur sahib or kirtan on stage - pajamis don't have this issue. 

Maybe by word of mouth you'll find someone in Birmingham to sew it, so ask around. You can order online from SikhiStore website but it takes 6-8 weeks to be made and shipped from India. My parents had cholae made for me when they went India.

Kurta pajama is of Muslim origins, but it's OK and many Sikhs do wear it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 2005.singh

I bought chola from Khalsastore.com its really good quality. It cost £33 and extra £30 for international shipping

21 minutes ago, Singh375 said:

A pajami is optional. I wear normal chola & just kachera for gatka but otherwise wear pajami because I like having legs covered.

I’m new to Sikhi and will take amrit soon. I feel uncomfortable about leg hair so want to get pajami too. I understand what u mean about pajama being baggy and getting dirty. But can I ask how comfortable is pajami? Because I know it’s supposed to be tight fitting. Like sitting for whole night rehnsbhai would it be ok? i know what it’s like wearing jeans sitting for long time and feels too tight. Thanks Jio !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Guest Gurminder Singh said:

I have a few quesions

What’s the difference between a normal chola and a taksali chola 

Can you wear a pajami with a chola 

where can you get a chola sewed around Birmingham 

and is a kurta pajma a Sikh thing of indian is it okay to weae

 

Nihang chola are better for gatka and jangs. They provide more free movement of legs as they are normally shorter from the bottom. they seem to be more in width at the bottom too. nihang singhs tend to wear longer kashera. taksali chola are like  long kurtas. they look almost the same but i think nihang cholas r shorter at the bottom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 2:15 AM, Guest 2005.singh said:

I’m new to Sikhi and will take amrit soon. I feel uncomfortable about leg hair so want to get pajami too. I understand what u mean about pajama being baggy and getting dirty. But can I ask how comfortable is pajami? Because I know it’s supposed to be tight fitting. Like sitting for whole night rehnsbhai would it be ok? i know what it’s like wearing jeans sitting for long time and feels too tight. Thanks Jio !

Actually a pajami is very comfortable, especially if it's stretch cotton material.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use