SOUTHALL: Havelock Road name change to Guru Nanak Dev Ji Road consultation seems to have resulted in approval #SikhLivesMatter #BlackLivesMatter

Just heard this on Panjab Radio this morning in the UK.
There was a consultation on changing the name for Havelock Road, Southall - this is also where the famous Singh Sabha Gurdwara is situated (which you will sometimes see in media and some British TV movies and documentaries), there is also another popular Singh Sabha Gurdwara on Park Avenue in Southall - just explaining to avoid confusion.
Here is an article from 2002 to show context with regards to Major-General Sir Henry Havelock and issues with the name of the street. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2003119.stm
So anyway the radio station was congratulating everyone as it seems the name change has been approved! Just found some Singh Sabha Gurdwara facebook posts regarding this now:

A few days ago in Bristol, a slaver trader's statue was toppled by the protestors.

Yesterday, Robert Milligan was taken off plinth in London by the Tower Hamlets Council in East London.
It looks like these protests about #BlackLivesMatter which erupted due to the shooting in USA are also useful for sikhs. This is already helping in pushing the case for Havelock's name to be removed from the street in Southall, whereas before no progress was made.
The uk will now be looking at colonial statues and memorabilia to see what can be removed. This is important as many of the colonial related people affected sikhs in negative ways!
NOTE: I know protests are going on, but as it is COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, please be safe and observe social distancing. There is too much crowding at these protests, and could lead to increases in cases for the virus!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, sikhojaago said:

Well done! Sanctifying the road! What next?  Mad people! Can roads ever be sanctified? I wonder! Are they going to turn it into a private road by not permitting drunks, drugged, heavy smokers, women/men kerb walking, etc from using it?  

I would hate to hear anyone swearing, bad mouthing, peeing or vomiting on this road after it has been sanctified, particularly where  my Guru is involved!  It is a mere structure made up of bricks and mortar and it’s not divine! You people need to stop playing divisive politics!  What was wrong with its original name?  

You need to change yourselves with His teachings instead of changing names of the roads in foreign countries, for heavens’ sakes! The Guru taught us to live in peace with our neighbour and not to indulge in divisiveness. Are you all people from India?

If the roads could be sanctified with the names of the prophets  there would be no need for their Teachings!

you need to understand who Havelock was and why the street name needs to be changed!!!

Major General Sir Henry Havelock, whose statue stands in Trafalgar Square, had Sikhs in his Army when they helped crush the Indian Mutiny in 1857 and finished off the remnants of Mogul Empire and gave a bloody nose to the Purbias who had fought against the Sikhs in support of the East India Company only a decade earlier.

Ironic therefore that a Gurdwara be located on Havelock Road.

Today, there is a cemetery and a betting shop on this road (and there used to be a pub). 

IMG_20190929_151908__01.jpg

Its like how in India they are changing all the names of the roads and cities named after the Islamic invaders. 

If you think about it similar stuff is happening world over ?

In America trump came to power, In India Right wing Nationalist are in power, do not know much about Russia but the Orthodox religion and culture backed by the state has had a massive revival in the last few years in Russia. Similar stuff is happening in many countries.

5 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Its like how in India they are changing all the names of the roads and cities named after the Islamic invaders. 

If you think about it similar stuff is happening world over ?

In America trump came to power, In India Right wing Nationalist are in power, do not know much about Russia but the Orthodox religion and culture backed by the state has had a massive revival in the last few years in Russia. Similar stuff is happening in many countries.

I think it's due to the threat of muslims.

9 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

I think it's due to the threat of muslims.

i wonder if this country would have some kind of English cultural revival? The youth in this country have no cultural identity and are clueless about their history, i bet you many dnt even know who Churchill was 

3 minutes ago, puzzled said:

i wonder if this country would have some kind of English cultural revival? The youth in this country have no cultural identity and are clueless about their history, i bet you many dnt even know who Churchill was 

Apathy is still very high. Creature comforts have led to them being pacified even regarding issues that should've stirred them. When the tipping point does arrive, it will be a tsunami-like response. The biggest obstacle, imo, is the immense sway the media has over people, and its one-sided view of history.

25 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Apathy is still very high. Creature comforts have led to them being pacified even regarding issues that should've stirred them. When the tipping point does arrive, it will be a tsunami-like response. The biggest obstacle, imo, is the immense sway the media has over people, and its one-sided view of history.

Time to get the OCI card!

31 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Most the comments under the articles of the statue knocking are strongly against it! There clearly is a lot of frustration over the pc culture and spineless government in this country, but i think whites keep their opinions to themselves because they dnt wanna be labeled as racists etc  a lot of the comments are saying the statues are still a part of their history regardless of them being gd or bad men