SOUTHALL: Havelock Road name change to Guru Nanak Dev Ji Road consultation seems to have resulted in approval #SikhLivesMatter #BlackLivesMatter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:
Just heard this on Panjab Radio this morning in the UK.
There was a consultation on changing the name for Havelock Road, Southall - this is also where the famous Singh Sabha Gurdwara is situated (which you will sometimes see in media and some British TV movies and documentaries), there is also another popular Singh Sabha Gurdwara on Park Avenue in Southall - just explaining to avoid confusion.
Here is an article from 2002 to show context with regards to Major-General Sir Henry Havelock and issues with the name of the street. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2003119.stm
So anyway the radio station was congratulating everyone as it seems the name change has been approved! Just found some Singh Sabha Gurdwara facebook posts regarding this now:

A few days ago in Bristol, a slaver trader's statue was toppled by the protestors.

Yesterday, Robert Milligan was taken off plinth in London by the Tower Hamlets Council in East London.
It looks like these protests about #BlackLivesMatter which erupted due to the shooting in USA are also useful for sikhs. This is already helping in pushing the case for Havelock's name to be removed from the street in Southall, whereas before no progress was made.
The uk will now be looking at colonial statues and memorabilia to see what can be removed. This is important as many of the colonial related people affected sikhs in negative ways!
NOTE: I know protests are going on, but as it is COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, please be safe and observe social distancing. There is too much crowding at these protests, and could lead to increases in cases for the virus!

And I hope that those amongst apnay that have some sort of bizzare, twisted, Stockholm syndrome, docile, nostalgic view of our own colonial subjugation get a wake up call too. They badly need it........

Welcome to the modern world! lol

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

i wonder if this country would have some kind of English cultural revival? The youth in this country have no cultural identity and are clueless about their history, i bet you many dnt even know who Churchill was 

That's boll0cks, a lot of them know. That whole standing up to tyranny against Hitler narrative is often strong in their families. Every English working class guy I know, knows who he is. 

Interestingly, I've met a few white guys over the last few years who feel that england was fighting on the wrong side and should have been allied to germany. Make of it what you will..........    

4 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

When you start playing the race card too much the majority community start becoming wary of you and this can effect things like employment opportunities, you get a reputation of being troublesome.

It can work the other way too. When you just quietly put up with discrimination you set up a dynamic between communities where the other assumes that this is down to some docile characteristic, and this relationship gets perpetuated, for decades/centuries even. 

Fighting strongly for your rights inevitable makes oppressors hate, resent and attack you even more, but after the battle's done, you get respect and the dynamic gets changed for the better. It's a shame so many of our people have forgotten this. Our ancestors understood it well. 

45 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

That's boll0cks, a lot of them know. That whole standing up to tyranny against Hitler narrative is often strong in their families. Every English working class guy I know, knows who he is. 

Interestingly, I've met a few white guys over the last few years who feel that england was fighting on the wrong side and should have been allied to germany. Make of it what you will..........    

not the ones i grew up with       i used to think he was a priest      i fell in the 16-24 category when this survey was taken

As part of the survey, carried out to mark this week's 70th anniversary of Churchill taking over as prime minister, more than 1,136 people were asked to identify three prominent 20th century PMs including Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair.

The Royal Mint survey asked more than 1,136 people to identify prominent 20th century Prime Ministers, including Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair

One in five (19 per cent) adults failed to name Churchill, with the figure rising to 32 per cent of 25 to 34-year-olds and 44 per cent of those aged 16 to 24.

Following the pattern, researchers projected the rough date when the leaders would no longer be recognised, with Churchill's demise predicted in 80 years' time.

They said the vast majority of those questioned could identify both Mr Blair (97 per cent) and Baroness Thatcher (98 per cent).

But recognition dropped significantly in the 16 to 24-year-old range - 16 per cent failed to identify Baroness Thatcher and more than a quarter (27 per cent) were unable to recognise Mr Blair.

If this downward trend were to continue, Gordon Brown's predecessor would be 'extinct' in the public consciousness by 2075, followed by the Iron Lady in 2115, they said.

39 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

Tell us more about Sohan Singh please!

The legend! Was part of the Ghaddar lehar. When so many apnay were selling souls to their colonial masters, this man never backed down for his freedom. He did hard time in kala pani (Andaman Islands) as well. He is the man in all white in the image below. 

Picture of the Day: Sohan Singh Bhakna | American Turban 

Here he is in later life:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy5MgTBiQlHBwGBG8_PEa

We need these living shaheeds stories to be told to our kids, not celebrating what is represented below like docile, grateful slaves:

low-ireland-india-cartoon.png 

That's not to downplay anything India's got up to against Sikhs neither. But I tell you, that docile, deferential mindset a lot of pendus have towards their former masters is just......cringe! Another manifestation of low IQ I guess.