Laal Singh Chaddha

Recently, Amazon Prime Video released a series (in India, don't know about the rest) called "Paataal Lok". It has a very grim scene wherein a Jatt, wearing a parna, is shown raping a Dalit Sikh woman while her husband and another family member look on helpless, crying. The jatt basically says that all the 10 men with him (most of whom are wearing paggān) will be raping her, in revenge for her son, standing up to his son's bullying and casteist slurs.

It was very disheartening to watch Sikhs being shown in such a light, even though the intention was to show the caste prejudice in the rural society, which eventually makes the Dalit boy become a criminal. I don't know if in real life such incidents are common or rare in Punjab within "different castes in the Sikh community". Maybe someone from Punjab can comment on that.

1 hour ago, Khaaik said:

Recently, Amazon Prime Video released a series (in India, don't know about the rest) called "Paataal Lok". It has a very grim scene wherein a Jatt, wearing a parna, is shown raping a Dalit Sikh woman while her husband and another family member look on helpless, crying. The jatt basically says that all the 10 men with him (most of whom are wearing paggān) will be raping her, in revenge for her son, standing up to his son's bullying and casteist slurs.

It was very disheartening to watch Sikhs being shown in such a light, even though the intention was to show the caste prejudice in the rural society, which eventually makes the Dalit boy become a criminal. I don't know if in real life such incidents are common or rare in Punjab within "different castes in the Sikh community". Maybe someone from Punjab can comment on that.

There has been a trend of shows from Amazon prime and Netflix showing religious Hindus and Hinduism in bad light while showing Muslims very positively. The only Hindu they show positively is a non religious leftist Hindu. While this is going on they have now also attacked Sikhs by showing Amritdhari Sikhs and Sikhism negatively. They are just testing the waters with the Sikhs now. If Sikhs don't react they will probably go further next time. Manjinder Singh Sirsa is the only one who made any noise about showing Amritdhari Sikh as a rapist. 

The directors and writers of these shows are usually leftist Hindus or Muslims. These leftist Hindus are just as hateful towards Sikhs as Arya Samajis. When Sri Darbar Sahib was to be attacked these leftist Hindus celebrated this attack just as much as right wing Hindus. Leftist liberal Hindus like Shekhar Gupta display their genocidal pulse when they praise KPS Gill and Brar and their genocidal tactics. 

When it comes down to it, Hindus whether libral or religious one is no friend of the Sikhs. 

1 hour ago, Khaaik said:

Whilst casteism does certainly exist in Punjab, I've never heard of any such cases. Dalits are in very high numbers in Punjab and they would not take such nonsense.

Punjab is better than Hindu majority states when it comes to these things.

19 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The advent in the rise of Punjabi cinema and the decline of Bollywood has made the formally pre-partition Lahore based HP Khatris in the industry quite butt hurt.

Punjabi cinema it seems to have popularised the Sardar in a more masculine and positive light. 

I am not a big  fan of the likes of Ammy Virk or Diljit Dosanjh but they have definitely improved the image of the Sardar. 

A Sardar has been showed can be a leading man in a romantic role who gets the girl.

The jealous HP Khatri of Mumbai is now trying to jump on the bandwagon and try to make the Sardar into a bafoon again.

Bollywood is a dying industry. I cannot even name a recent film and I could not even name a single up and coming actor. They just seem to be throwing models in there. 

I think you are living in some bubble. Punjabi cinema is nowhere near as big as Bollywood and never will be. Diljit has been trying to make a big break in Bollywood but is mostly flopping. The movies are mostly dumb comedies, they make Bollywood films look like French arthouse movies.

24 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

am not a big  fan of the likes of Ammy Virk or Diljit Dosanjh but they have definitely improved the image of the Sardar. 

turban is back in punjab. no doubt.

these days if u go to PAU Ludhiana, so many sardaar students hv girl friends.

it wasn't the same 10-15 years back.

47 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

It will never be as big. 

However, it has made a dent in Bollywood. 

Since Bollywood is an industry that has been largely started and run by Punjabis, they will have a very keen eye on the development of Punjabi film industry.

What also needs to be understood is that the Punjabi diaspora is big.

It would not surprise me if the Punjabi cinema overseas is cutting into the profits and revenue of Bollywood overseas.

Those Hindu Punjabis in Delhi and Mumbai have no links whatsoever to Punjab anymore, especially to rural based movies.

37 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

You are correct.

However, they miraculously discover their Punjabi roots when it suits them.

They are not Punjabi, they Panjaabi. 

They also dance the bhaangra. In fact that's the only extent of their Punjabi language.

The only cultural aspects they keep are the food and over the top weddings.