Any non-indian / non-punjabi Sikhs on this forum?

genie

Just now, jkvlondon said:

what is the history of the term black irish it always confused me , is it kind of hinting at aboriginals i.e. first habitants of Ireland?

It has several meanings. It signifies associating heritage to aboriginal fomorians, it also signifies pre catholic irish heritage, the next shade being green Irish and finally orange which isn't really Irish but we've made a flag to represent our peace with the traitors. 

Just now, GurjantGnostic said:

It has several meanings. It signifies associating heritage to aboriginal fomorians, it also signifies pre catholic irish heritage, the next shade being green Irish and finally orange which isn't really Irish but we've made a flag to represent our peace with the traitors. 

the peace being the the white between the orange and green?
I suppose Black represents being 'of the soil'

1 minute ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I heard Black Irish relates to the shipwrecked Spanish Armada off the coast of Ireland.

A lot of very dark haired Irish people descended from them.

I've heard that too it just never made much sense. The red and blonde hair comes from vikings, so really all irish were darker haired to begin with. 

That would be a huge impact for light skinned fairly modern sailors to have on an entire people. 

When I was growing up Northern Ireland was always on the news for it's troubles.

There was always this friction between protestants/catholics and when I went to University there was Catholic guy from the Republic and a Protestant guy from Ulster. I thought that they would hate each other but actually they were good friends.

This a comedy sketch from UK in the 90's,  it is based on the Rev Ian Paisley. It may be considered politically incorrect now.