Possible Contemporary Painting of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji?

3 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

I am pretty sure the self-portrait of Guru Teg Bahadur has neither tilak nor earrings , Guru ji is not a hypocrite he will follow maryada of previous Nanaks and enjoin sangat to do the same . Of course after paintings are made people can change them , even if kalpana of artist doesn't add those things the other influencers could be mischievious .

I think a lot of things that we make a big deal about these days (or post annexation), are more a consequence of imbibing a western victorian paradigm/perspective on matters,  many of which weren't a big deal for our ancestors.  

Anyway, this thread is awesome, just for the art shares. 

I got my ears peirced when I was 19 or 20 years old and when I came home my mum told me I look like a kanjar! 

I don't think the hole disappears! It's still there.

My grand fathers and their fathers used to have piercings  i'v seen photos. 

Men have had their ears peirced in most cultures for 1000s for years for whatever reasons. Even now in most parts of the world younger men wear studs  Indian, Black, Hispanic, White etc 

But when you keep your kes and starting doing naam jap etc it just naturally comes to you that it doesnt feel right wearing them. Same with how your behaviour changes and you stop wearing certain clothes.

1 hour ago, puzzled said:

I got my ears peirced when I was 19 or 20 years old and when I came home my mum told me I look like a kanjar! 

Men have had their ears peirced in most cultures for 1000s for years for whatever reasons. Even now in most parts of the world younger men wear studs  Indian, Black, Hispanic, White etc 

Its a brahminical tradition. Its called "karna vedh" ceremony among hindus , especially brahmins .

So your grandpa and pa used to do hindu tradition ? too much brahminical influence in sikh history. its sickening

1 hour ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Its a brahminical tradition. Its called "karna vedh" ceremony among hindus , especially brahmins .

So your grandpa and pa used to do hindu tradition ? too much brahminical influence in sikh history. its sickening

Are you sure you're not some descendant of a secret love child of Teja Bhausaria? 

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

But when you keep your kes and starting doing naam jap etc it just naturally comes to you that it doesnt feel right wearing them. Same with how your behaviour changes and you stop wearing certain clothes.

I remember my dadhee having a rose tattoo on her forearm. I remember my granddad (Nana ji) telling me that mistris wore what he called nuthiaan (or small hoop earrings) in their ears as some sort of identity marker. My  nana's father wore nuthiaan but he never did. 

I think goray made these things a big deal after annexation. They don't seem to be a big deal amongst apnay, apart from the super-conservative. 

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Are you sure you're not some descendant of a secret love child of Teja Bhausaria? 

first read what I posted. Karna vedha or ear piercing is really a hindu ritual of boys in certain hindu communities in india. 

Why do you want to carry all that cultural bag at expense of sikhi ? have we not yet learnt our lessons 

1 hour ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

first read what I posted. Karna vedha or ear piercing is really a hindu ritual of boys in certain hindu communities in india. 

Why do you want to carry all that cultural bag at expense of sikhi ? have we not yet learnt our lessons 

That may be one reason for it. But there are others as well, including plain fashion/styling (if people are into that look......) 

4 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

I think it is a lot more complicated rather than all clear, and black and white. Pan Sikhi as we know it today is the result of social media, we all are a lot more similar today than before, social media has promoted a Sikhi where we are clear on what is acceptable and what not. Social media has helped make Sikhi into something more organized among its followers and people in far flung areas can follow the same. As for my Grandfathers, my families main practice is "jatera" and have been doing it for generations, light a jyot in our ancestors tomb every Sunday put food there, when its winter we pul blankets there. They worship there and ask for whatever they want. They buy sweets and put them there, do matha tek and put money there. My mum said in the old days her family used feed Bhramins. My Grandfathers kept their hair but shaved their beards. My mum said in the pind there also used be a "professional mourner" a big woman who you had to go to when someone dies in the pind and she used to teach women how to cry! My mum also said how When someone used to die in your family or lane then you weren't allowed to eat certain things and had to sit on the floor for weeks! These were the practices! So how Sikh were my forefathers? Did they even call themselves Sikhs? i doubt it very much! Before a proper tomb was created they used to have a brick and they used light a diya on the brick. You have to remember in India, ones identity is their gotra and the traditions they follow is the traditions of their gotra. Before partition people of the same clan even used to marry regardless of religion. I was reading this Saini Sikh guys stuff online and he said his grandmother was a Saini muslim and that in his community all this was acceptable in those days! marriage between Kashmiri Pandits and Muslim Bhramins happened as well in Kashmir. And as for Anand Karaj, it only recently has became popular among people who now identify as Sikh than it actually was back in the days, especially in the pinds. This Sikh identity as we see it today is quite recent among most families tbh. It seem some point during our grandparents generation many gotras started leaning towards some Sikh practices and using sikh tick box in census, perhaps for political and social advantages? I think perhaps the religious reform movements played a role in bringing various clans into the fold of Sikhi, if not by practice then at least by the census tick

Even today where my family are from most people will not identify as Sikh in pinds, they practice the traditions of their gotra. I remember as a teenager mona telling my cousin sister in India that i am a Sikh and she started laughing and saying where is your hair and then she said our family are not Sikhs. These days mona call themselves Sikhs as well, that never used to be the case, since monas have started calling themselves Sikhs i think more contradictions have entered Sikhi. Most people in Punjab are just various castes and clans, some have adopted some Sikh practices and that is about it! 

I think this has resulted in a lot of contradictions, people who never were Sikh by practice and still are not Sikh came under the banner of Sikhi. The fact how the tomb in my dads pind was turned a gurdwara just shows how recently Sikh culture has entered many villages. 

I think whenever Anand Karaj became the norm for various clans and castes is when these people started embracing a few other Sikh traditions but still keeping their ancestral practice. I think when people moved abroad they adopted Sikh practices more and this influenced their families back home a little as well.

It also depends on the region of Punjab you came from. Gurdaspur region has always been the heart of Sikhi and things have probably always been more clearer there. I'm only speaking for the region where my ancestors come from. I mean 80 years ago how would people in far flung areas like Hosiarpur, Sialkot, Bhatinda etc know what was going on in Amritsar and all the revolutions? they wouldn't! My mum said no one even used to go Harmandir Sahib or any other historical gurdwara, its only now with cars that people have started going.

Western born Punjabis who try to dissect this scramble would never understand it, they try to figure it from a very western rigid perspective. Sikh identity here in the west is a cultural identity so even monas and atheists call themselves Sikh, they then apply this to communities in Punjab but it just doesn't work like that over there. Punjabis in the UK created their own Sikh identity which probably never existed in their pinds back in the 50s and so ! 

So its a lot more complicated. I read how after the collapse of the Sikh empire, the vast majority people who identify as Sikh on the census today they actually identified as Hindu back then. 

3 hours ago, puzzled said:

I think it is a lot more complicated rather than all clear, and black and white. Pan Sikhi as we know it today is the result of social media, we all are a lot more similar today than before, social media has promoted a Sikhi where we are clear on what is acceptable and what not. Social media has helped make Sikhi into something more organized among its followers and people in far flung areas can follow the same. As for my Grandfathers, my families main practice is "jatera" and have been doing it for generations, light a jyot in our ancestors tomb every Sunday put food there, when its winter we pul blankets there. They worship there and ask for whatever they want. They buy sweets and put them there, do matha tek and put money there. My mum said in the old days her family used feed Bhramins. My Grandfathers kept their hair but shaved their beards. My mum said in the pind there also used be a "professional mourner" a big woman who you had to go to when someone dies in the pind and she used to teach women how to cry! My mum also said how When someone used to die in your family or lane then you weren't allowed to eat certain things and had to sit on the floor for weeks! These were the practices! So how Sikh were my forefathers? Did they even call themselves Sikhs? i doubt it very much! Before a proper tomb was created they used to have a brick and they used light a diya on the brick. You have to remember in India, ones identity is their gotra and the traditions they follow is the traditions of their gotra. Before partition people of the same clan even used to marry regardless of religion. I was reading this Saini Sikh guys stuff online and he said his grandmother was a Saini muslim and that in his community all this was acceptable in those days! marriage between Kashmiri Pandits and Muslim Bhramins happened as well in Kashmir. And as for Anand Karaj, it only recently has became popular among people who now identify as Sikh than it actually was back in the days, especially in the pinds. This Sikh identity as we see it today is quite recent among most families tbh. It seem some point during our grandparents generation many gotras started leaning towards some Sikh practices and using sikh tick box in census, perhaps for political and social advantages? I think perhaps the religious reform movements played a role in bringing various clans into the fold of Sikhi, if not by practice then at least by the census tick

Even today where my family are from most people will not identify as Sikh in pinds, they practice the traditions of their gotra. I remember as a teenager mona telling my cousin sister in India that i am a Sikh and she started laughing and saying where is your hair and then she said our family are not Sikhs. These days mona call themselves Sikhs as well, that never used to be the case, since monas have started calling themselves Sikhs i think more contradictions have entered Sikhi. Most people in Punjab are just various castes and clans, some have adopted some Sikh practices and that is about it! 

I think this has resulted in a lot of contradictions, people who never were Sikh by practice and still are not Sikh came under the banner of Sikhi. The fact how the tomb in my dads pind was turned a gurdwara just shows how recently Sikh culture has entered many villages. 

I think whenever Anand Karaj became the norm for various clans and castes is when these people started embracing a few other Sikh traditions but still keeping their ancestral practice. I think when people moved abroad they adopted Sikh practices more and this influenced their families back home a little as well.

It also depends on the region of Punjab you came from. Gurdaspur region has always been the heart of Sikhi and things have probably always been more clearer there. I'm only speaking for the region where my ancestors come from. I mean 80 years ago how would people in far flung areas like Hosiarpur, Sialkot, Bhatinda etc know what was going on in Amritsar and all the revolutions? they wouldn't! My mum said no one even used to go Harmandir Sahib or any other historical gurdwara, its only now with cars that people have started going.

Western born Punjabis who try to dissect this scramble would never understand it, they try to figure it from a very western rigid perspective. Sikh identity here in the west is a cultural identity so even monas and atheists call themselves Sikh, they then apply this to communities in Punjab but it just doesn't work like that over there. Punjabis in the UK created their own Sikh identity which probably never existed in their pinds back in the 50s and so ! 

So its a lot more complicated. I read how after the collapse of the Sikh empire, the vast majority people who identify as Sikh on the census today they actually identified as Hindu back then. 

I think being illiterate played a big part in what you describe above. As more and more apnay become literate, and more and more Sikh texts become accessible, coupled with the fact that being in a diaspora seems to inevitably result in some sections of the diaspora to focus on and try and understand and reflect upon their heritage and preserve it, we will see a renaissance of sorts. This will feed back to the people back home in time. 

As an example we've been alienated from Dasam Granth for a long while so a rising awareness there alone will change us. Cultural practices like jathera will also diminish over generations due to simply losing the connection to your village and it being irrelevant. Many will lose that casteist sense that restricts marriage between Sikhs of different castes. The dynamics of the community will change - and it doesn't have to be for the worse, it can be for the better. 

I do honestly believe we have a rich and powerful heritage. Someone on SA articulated it perfectly for me a while back. It's like various metals that have been underground since the beginning of earth, only to lay there untouched/unused, as time progressed man became aware of them and started to use and understand them more and more - from basic tools/weapons, to modern sophisticated industrial uses of today. Sikhi is the same. We haven't caught up with it yet - partly due to our own baggage and backwardness and partly because external forces have been trying to manipulate and exploit it for their own purposes.