Surrey spinner Amar Virdi on the brink of becoming third Sikh to represent England

41 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Less strain on the body? This is baaniya talk!

Are you saying putting total force of your body vs more controlled slower force is less strain? 

why damage yourself physically if you can achieve similar outcomes with a different approach? 

a lot of fast bowlers get many chronic injuries. Not saying spin bowlers don’t but I know which option I would choose 

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

Are you saying putting total force of your body vs more controlled slower force is less strain? 

why damage yourself physically if you can achieve similar outcomes with a different approach? 

a lot of fast bowlers get many chronic injuries. Not saying spin bowlers don’t but I know which option I would choose 

In England spinners are not guaranteed a spot in the team, the conditions are more suited to fast bowlers, especially those who can swing the ball.

Cricket is already considered quite unathletic to most sports and the fact that not many Indians or Sikhs have not done well in fast bowling just makes us look weak.

20 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

In England spinners are not guaranteed a spot in the team, the conditions are more suited to fast bowlers, especially those who can swing the ball.

Cricket is already considered quite unathletic to most sports and the fact that not many Indians or Sikhs have not done well in fast bowling just makes us look weak.

there r so many UK born pakistanI kids in county cricket but just couple of Sikhs. why so ?

8 minutes ago, shastarSingh said:

there r so many UK born pakistanI kids in county cricket but just couple of Sikhs. why so ?

First of all their population is bigger than ours and they are more cricket obsessed. I would say that Sikhs are less obssessed about cricket compared to Hindus and Muslims. Even in Punjab you don't see that many apne play it, which makes the fact that Sikh cricketers have done so well even more impressive.

3 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Even in Punjab you don't see that many apne play it, which makes the fact that Sikh cricketers have done so well even more impressive.

In Ludhiana cricket is no.1 sport and school level cricket is full of sardaar boys with joorra.

May be sikh parents don't see sport as a career option and want their kids to be doctors/engineers.

I feel Gurdwara Sahib shud give some financial award to sikh kids who excel in sports.

I know a local young cricket coach in Ludhiana who went for talent hunt in nearby villages and was amazed to see the talent. He found a 16 year old boy  bowler hitting 140 km/hr.

We should be encouraging our boys (and girls) to be batsman - they get much more glory.

who cares about bowling 140km/hr if you are making big scores?

i see it somewhat like the way army uses the working class in England - most bowlers are more lower middle:working class.

batsman usually middle-upper class . Similarly in India with likes of Navjot Sidhu

30 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

First of all their population is bigger than ours and they are more cricket obsessed. I would say that Sikhs are less obssessed about cricket compared to Hindus and Muslims. Even in Punjab you don't see that many apne play it, which makes the fact that Sikh cricketers have done so well even more impressive.

Yes, and the pakistanis are usually of lower class economically, so more inclined to push their kids to cricket .

Sikhs in England more likely in future to emerge from private school system as around 1/3-1/2 English cricketers privately educated