What if ur name wasn’t chosen by hukamnama

Guest 2005.singh

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
On 7/1/2020 at 7:23 PM, Sikhi4Ever said:
  • Tradition that your family not familiar with is not have to be hindu superstition.

Or......maybe......my family is more familiar with 'traditions' than yours and knew that our forefathers who were Hindu had a ceremony they have to go through when they had a child in which they would ask the pandit to choose a letter from the Vedas and the child was then given a name starting with that first letter. Hindus in India, especially Gujaratis,  still have this 1000 year old 'tradition'. All you're doing is replacing the Vedas with Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji but you're blindly following the same Hindu tradition but are too uneducated to know the origin of it. So you're right, things don't HAVE to be Hindu tradition but it just so happens that this particular one is.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:03 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

Or......maybe......my family is more familiar with 'traditions' than yours and knew that our forefathers who were Hindu had a ceremony they have to go through when they had a child in which they would ask the pandit to choose a letter from the Vedas and the child was then given a name starting with that first letter. Hindus in India, especially Gujaratis,  still have this 1000 year old 'tradition'. All you're doing is replacing the Vedas with Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji but you're blindly following the same Hindu tradition but are too uneducated to know the origin of it. So you're right, things don't HAVE to be Hindu tradition but it just so happens that this particular one is.

Looks like i pushed a button and you went thru the roof. Not my intention. 

name.png

8 hours ago, Sikhi4Ever said:

Looks like i pushed a button and you went thru the roof. Not my intention. 

name.png

What button and what roof ?  If you're gonna get triggered everytime someone even talks to you ....well now, that's a bit of worry isn't it.

Now....what I told you was that the naming tradition is a tradition that has been continued from our Hindu forefathers and Hindus today still follow it that's a fact.I also told you that the tradition has it's roots in superstition and that's a fact. Make of the facts what you will. 

12 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

What button and what roof ?  If you're gonna get triggered everytime someone even talks to you ....well now, that's a bit of worry isn't it.

Now....what I told you was that the naming tradition is a tradition that has been continued from our Hindu forefathers and Hindus today still follow it that's a fact.I also told you that the tradition has it's roots in superstition and that's a fact. Make of the facts what you will. 

Then you have a problem with Sikh Rehat Maryada ? 

On 6/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, Guest 2005.singh said:

My name wasn’t decided from taking hukamnama when born (cos my family didn’t follow sikhi then)

So when I take amrit do I have to be given a new name? I mean first name cos I already use Singh to my surname 

Your true nature is the divine soul, you were born according to your karmas, you will die also according to your karmas, the difference does not lie in having one name or the other, it is only that important how much one has love for Waheguru and His Name.

When you go from this world, you will not be asked what was your name or surname, but how much wealth you earned of the repetition of His holy Name.

Either this much,or,either the manmukh karmas performed, will define your future destiny.

Do you know, that even He, the Highest has no name as such, that is why He is also called Anami, Alakh, Agam, Akal, Waheguru, the wonderous.

2 hours ago, Sikhi4Ever said:

No I don't have a problem with Rehat Maryada per se. In fact, I do believe that it is imperative for an organised religion to have a set of rules that should be followed in a disciplined way if that religion is to survive. That being said however, I feel it is important to understand that the decisions made by a group of mortal men sitting in the Akal Takht are sometimes at odds with Gurbani. Too many Sikhs confuse decisions made by ordinary men with actual Gurbani. What me and you, as educated people in 2020 need to understand is the how those groups of ordinary men came to the decision of including a naming ceremony in the Maryada. We know they included it purely because it was already widely practiced among the masses anyway because they had, for hundreds of years as Hindus, been doing it habitually anyway. We're not alone in that. All religions looked at the pagan traditions of their congregation and included those practices in their own religion in order to portray the illusion that the tradition itself always was part of the religion. It's up the educated individual him or herself to see if he or she can reconcile that tradition with what the true scriptures of his or her religion say. I mean don't get me wrong.....If someone wants to get a letter for their baby's name that's perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong in doing that. Equally however, there is nothing wrong in a Sikh believing that spending time cultivating one's soul and character is far more important than having any hang-ups about things as mundane as a name.

Guest daas guest singh

you mean the commitee imposed maryada?..firstly toh that isnt the only rehit maryada and secondly taking name from firstletter of hukam i.e. naam sanchar ain't compulsory.

14 hours ago, Guest daas guest singh said:

you mean the commitee imposed maryada?..firstly toh that isnt the only rehit maryada and secondly taking name from firstletter of hukam i.e. naam sanchar ain't compulsory.

- You need to learn more about the establishment and history of the Sikh Rehat Maryada.

- Nothing is compulsory - such as following sikh dharam as well.

- Sri Akal Takht SRM is the most basic code of conduct that all organizations must follow. Adding anything over that is then their own code of conducts. In the end, you need to learn the basics first.

Guest daas guest singh

- You need to learn more about the establishment and history of the Sikh Rehat Maryada.

- Sri Akal Takht SRM is the most basic code of conduct that all organizations must follow. Adding anything over that is then their own code of conducts. In the end, you need to learn the basics first.

I dont know much but i do know this that there are different maryadas and this akaal takht maryada is a basic small version of maryada . And also yeah there are sooooo many diff rehitnaame including by bhai Nand Lal ji ,and also by the son of bhai mani singh ji (i forget their name) and countless other ,and each maryada is different ,right. then different people have diff. maryadas,infact just as these new jathebandis,and "sects" and organisations started coming up each of them brought in their own maryadas which led to chaos (still is leading to chaos) so yeah it is your marzi as to what maryada u wanna follow,for eg,the dal panth will have a different set of rules and discipline as a part of their maryada the taksal has a different one.And now coming to  this commitee maryada it has kinda isolated many people like for eg sindhis or hindus who believed in sikhi and other such people and nanakpanthis(i think that is what they r called or maybe they are called nanakshahis ,please enlighten bcos i dont know much also can any of y'all please explain to me the difference between nanakshahis and nanakpanthis) and also done some other things different from original sikhi.Yeah i know following sikhi aint compulsory but,if you follow sikhi then the maryada is compulsory.That is what they wanna control everything and standardise everything for their pseduo-political commitee ambitions,these commitee waale,they are defiling sikhi,and Sri Akaal Takht Sahib,colonialisation runs deep within them,and commitee elected jathedaars were never a part of original sikhi and the commitee never existed in OG sikhi and neither did so many sampardais it was panj pyaare rule.its just a big khichdi these days

On 7/7/2020 at 7:55 PM, Sikhi4Ever said:

SGPC SRM is seriously disrespectful to Benti Chaupau, SRM still allows the last 2 lines and Arril to be skipped, this is the cut Benti Chaupai that Teja Bhasauria imposed in Harmandir Sahib.

Sadly, some important organisations such as Budha Dal + Tarna Dal Nihang Singhs weren't present and invited when SRM was discussed.

Also SRM is still in draft form.

So to conclude, there are some serious issues with SRM that haven't been resolved!