How did the singh sabha movement converted so many hindus and muslims into following sikhi?

Singh Sabha was fortunate to have Brahmgyaanis and sants like Bhai Veer singh and others. Nowadays such spiritually elevated people have apparently gone into hiding :/ 

If it wasn't for Singh Sabha Sikhs would of merged into Hinduism, they literally saved the panth from dissolving into Hinduism! but in the process some aspects of Sikh culture and tradition were discarded, Dasam bani was sidelined etc  i think they became a bit Hindu-phobic and got rid of anything that was similar to Hinduism.  But i can see why they did that. It was around the time India's Independence struggle was spreading and desh bhakti was rising, Hindu and Muslims were starting to clash etc Guru Gobind Singh ji was being shown as a desh bhakt and compared to shivaji maratha, Hindus were trying to merge Sikhs into Hinduism probably to counter the Muslim and Christian influence in Punjab at the time?  Then there was Arya Samaj, It was a very complicated time a lot was going on. 

I'v read they got Sikhs that had converted to Christianity back into Sikhi again. 

I find the the 1920s, 30s 40s in India a interesting period. 

13 hours ago, Tamansingh123 said:

I have heard abt giani ji a lil bit in the local gurudwara. And yea one of the problem we as a panth have is that majority of our people dont accept people from diff religion, hence our numbers are this low. Only if we convinced ambedkar to follow sikhi im sure we sikhs would have gotten khalsa raj after 84. 

That Ambedkar story is a big myth. He coverted to Buddhism and very few Hindu Dalits followed him into doing the same.

The overwhelming majority are still Hindus. If he became a Sikh the Dalits would still have remained Hindus.

It's time we stopped peddling this myth, it only makes us look dumb and desperate.

2 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

That Ambedkar story is a big myth. He coverted to Buddhism and very few Hindu Dalits followed him into doing the same.

The overwhelming majority are still Hindus. If he became a Sikh the Dalits would still have remained Hindus.

It's time we stopped peddling this myth, it only makes us look dumb and desperate.

agreed it is better we look after those mazhabi sikhs that did become gursikhs and the sikhligars because they are actual sikhs who are our bretheren for sure , if we support them others will see that there is an advantage to becoming a sikh like one of the english commentators  put it , the depised and ostracised untouchable upon taking the guru's amrit returns to his village triumphantly as a well-respected sardar . I agree we need to continue the work of the Singh Sabha by supporting them against the increasing prejudices creeping in from stupid jats and 'high caste' punjabi bheki sikhs, preventing the predation of our poor brothers and sisters by dhongi babey and missionaries.

13 hours ago, puzzled said:

If it wasn't for Singh Sabha Sikhs would of merged into Hinduism, they literally saved the panth from dissolving into Hinduism!

people who diss singh sabha need to understand this 

4 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

people who diss singh sabha need to understand this 

I think people judge them from today's 21st century  perspective and don't take into consideration and social political issues we were facing at the time. I'v read Daulat Rai's book Sahib E Kmal Guru Gobind SIngh Ji, and it paints Guru Ji simply as a desh bhakt! whose purpose is to save Hindus from the Mughals. Nowhere is Guru Sahibs divinity mention in the book and the pathetic thing is many Sikh websites recommend this book!  These kind of books were published in Punjab a lot during the first half of the 20th century. Its stuff like this that the Singh Sabha had to tackle. 

On 6/28/2020 at 7:09 AM, proactive said:

They also attacked the blurring of boundaries that meant that a Sikh would go to a Mandir and a Sufi shrine without feeling in any way that he was being a hypocrite in going against the teachings of the Gurus.

Another reason the percentage of Sikhs rose was because Sikhs actually returned themselves as Sikhs in the census every decade.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:44 AM, proactive said:

If significant numbers of Sikhs follow these actions then it will not be long before the SGPC stops being a cash cow for the Badals.

Badals are so rich they don't need money from SGPC. They have multi-million dollar business in several places in Panjab and beyond. They were rishwat khoris but I doubt they ever took cash from the SGPC.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:52 AM, DailyMail said:

Can you remember which book this was? The one mentioning Giani Ditt Singh.

Go to sikh book club. All Gyani Ji's books are there.

https://www.sikhbookclub.com/

On 6/28/2020 at 7:42 PM, puzzled said:

If it wasn't for Singh Sabha Sikhs would of merged into Hinduism, they literally saved the panth from dissolving into Hinduism!

This is probably the most profound statement on this website since I joined it many years ago - because it's true.