alcohol in ayurveda

20 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Mmm I've read studies like that for a while, as someone who served bar for many years, I can tell you it's a load of <banned word filter activated> written by alcoholic doctors. 

But ayurveda is a respected science.

many Gursikhs r ayurveda doctors.

1 hour ago, shastarSingh said:

https://www.ayurshilpi.com/post/ayurvedic-view-on-alcohol

Conclusion

Alcoholic drinks have to be consumed with respect to the body constitution, digestive capacity, and health condition, along with a balanced diet. If consumed wisely, it excels over any medicine in terms of health preservation.

A russian doctor who was teaching us biology said yes theres a lot of studeies saying alcohol in moderation is healthy. But he says if u can ever avoid starting alochol its best.

I think the moderation key is for alcoholics. For example, imagine the study is done in France. Where lets say everyone drinks alcohol. They find out ppl who drink only 1 glass ornless are the healthiest. So they start saying alcohol in moderarion is very good.

But what if, its the least amount of alcohol thats good. So i think the studies are trying to day drink in moderation. Not to start drinking. 

But this is all assumption. I would need to look at the study methods. 

Plus i have only heard red wine is good. And that because it uses red grapes and so has antioxodanta. Which u can get from the grapes itself. Otherwise alochol is a posion our liver has to detoxify. And thats why most ppl get hangovers from excreting the waste, which wastes water.

some nihangs drink alcohol even today and there r some old British sources which says that Singhs drank liquor back then too.

1809-- Asiatic Annual Register by E Samuel

A Sikh wanting to become a Singh, finds no difficulty in accomplishing his proselytism. He goes to the Akali, or priests of the sect, at Amritsar, who ask him if he wishes to become a convert to their persuasion, and if so, to produce proofs of his determination ; upon which the convert breaks with his own hands, the small thread, or cord, worn across the shoulders by most of the Hindoo sects, and after the performance of certain ceremonies, he is given to drink a sherbet made of sugar and water, from the hand of an Akali. After this initiation, he never shaves his beard, nor cuts his hair, and ought not, according to a rigorous observance of the doctrines, to pair his nails, but that is dispensed with, though contrary to the rules of the lawgiver. Now become a Singh, Ire is heterodox, and distinct from the Hindoos, by whom he is considered as an apostate. He is not restricted in his diet, but is allowed, by tlie tenets of his new religion, to devour whatever food his appetite may prompt, excepting beef. He is allowed also to drink every kind of liquor, such as the Singhs. The Sikhs are those, who (if originally Hindoos,) together with the peculiar tenets and observances prescribed to the sect by its founder, Nanak, retain firmly the institutions of their faith, in strict conformity to the doctrines of Brahma

William Franklin 1798-1803

Seiks are remarkably fond of the flesh of the jungle Hog, which they kill in chance, this food is allowable by their law. They likewise eat of mutton and fish, but these being deemed unlawful, the Bramins will not partake, leaving those who chuse to transgress their institutes to answer for themselves. In the city or in the field the Seiks never smoke tobacco; they are not however averse to drinking spirituous liquors, in which they sometimes indulge to an immoderate excess; 

I don't think it is appropriate in today's day and age. Alcoholism is a huge problem in many communities. Here in the UK is is a massive problem and in India it is a huge problem as well. Alcohol is very addictive, even if someone might start drinking with "moderation" it will eventually get out of hand. Its like a drug. I think i read somewhere how in he UK one of the biggest causes of road accidents is actually alcohol. Even alcoholics started of drinking with moderation and then it just spirals out of control. 

I'm pretty sure government makes a lot of £££ out of this business. 

1 hour ago, shastarSingh said:

some nihangs drink alcohol even today and there r some old British sources which says that Singhs drank liquor back then too.

1809-- Asiatic Annual Register by E Samuel

A Sikh wanting to become a Singh, finds no difficulty in accomplishing his proselytism. He goes to the Akali, or priests of the sect, at Amritsar, who ask him if he wishes to become a convert to their persuasion, and if so, to produce proofs of his determination ; upon which the convert breaks with his own hands, the small thread, or cord, worn across the shoulders by most of the Hindoo sects, and after the performance of certain ceremonies, he is given to drink a sherbet made of sugar and water, from the hand of an Akali. After this initiation, he never shaves his beard, nor cuts his hair, and ought not, according to a rigorous observance of the doctrines, to pair his nails, but that is dispensed with, though contrary to the rules of the lawgiver. Now become a Singh, Ire is heterodox, and distinct from the Hindoos, by whom he is considered as an apostate. He is not restricted in his diet, but is allowed, by tlie tenets of his new religion, to devour whatever food his appetite may prompt, excepting beef. He is allowed also to drink every kind of liquor, such as the Singhs. The Sikhs are those, who (if originally Hindoos,) together with the peculiar tenets and observances prescribed to the sect by its founder, Nanak, retain firmly the institutions of their faith, in strict conformity to the doctrines of Brahma

Maybe they did. Gurbani says not even to touch the bottle. If you wanna drink bro go ahead. It's as wise as smoking crack. Have at it.