alcohol in ayurveda

29 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I don't think many would disagree with that, and I think what you are suggesting is a good idea. If a bloke's missus just can't get on with his family, then he maybe he should stop taking her to them and just visit on his own or with the kids.

I think that cultural pressure of keeping up appearances impacts on that though, and the bloke would probably feel a way about not being at family gatherings with his missus. And you know how many of our lot would gossip.   

Yes, I think it's the new way forward, a lot of blokes would be relieved with the idea of not having to visit the grumpy mother in-law  lol 

But yeah it comes down to keeping face and visiting because "it's the right thing to do"

White people have it so much easier lol 

I used to work with this older white bloke he was in his late 40s he was english and his wife was german. Most the people working in the store were asians so someone was off every week because of a wedding, funeral, party, asian stuff basically etc

And he used to get a little annoyed. One week a Pakistani ladies father in law died and she had to take a week of from work to go Pakistan for the funeral. And the white guy was so confused, he was like why does she have to go the funeral? I wouldn't go Germany for my father in-laws funeral"?

Me and my punjabi mate were laughing our heads off, thinking of what he said in a punjabi context. 

I was just thinking you white folks don't know how easy you have it. 

10 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:
On 7/6/2020 at 1:20 AM, shastarSingh said:

these nihangs hv fear of sangat of fellow nihangs and they never over drink

See? Alcohol is so powerful even nihangs need fear of sangat to not overindulge. 

And u accept grihistis who are under so much pressure and stress and with no sangat to be able to handle alcohol all by themselves?

Please realize  that behangams (celibate, non-working such as Dera taksalis/nihangs and nanaksari babas)  sikhs have a different maryada than grihistis who have jobs and kids to take care of. 

And also just cuz its historical doesnt mean its right. The british recorded nihangs drinking alcohol. Cuz it happened. Not cuz the nihangs were right in drinking it. Why do u think nihangs were kicked out of harmandir sahib? Singh sabha had evidence about how bad they were behaving. And they used that evidence to rile up ppl afainst the nihangs. 

u hv a good point.

leave aside alcohol, nihangs put too much sukha(cannabis) in shaheedi degh too.

there is no doubt that nihang organizations need some improvements.

But we must appreciate their positives too.

When it comes to a lot of these old accounts of Sikhs doing all these things, you have to remember that simply because they did particular things in the past it doesn't mean it was the right thing! The past does not = right/perfect. 

Sikhs in the old days were flawed just as Sikhs today are flawed. Look at bhai Joga Singh of Peshawar on his way from Peshawar to Anandpur Sahib to meet Guru Gobind Singh ji, he stopped at a brothel.

So when reading these historical accounts you should take it with a pinch of salt.

I mean, from 100, 150 years from now the Sikhs in the future would be looking at videos of us dancing and balancing alcohol bottles on our heads at weddings and getting drunk in clubs, and then Sikh women getting drunk and twerking against lamp posts while taking selfies with their tongues sticking out, and they will think  "oh, these jolly good old Sikhs of the past, proper Sikhs, did all that so it must be Ok to do it"

We really romanticize the past, make them into saintly figures. Just how we talk about Sikhs of the past, in 150, 200 years time the future Sikhs be talking about us. 

On 7/6/2020 at 5:34 PM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Please realize  that behangams (celibate, non-working such as Dera taksalis/nihangs and nanaksari babas)  sikhs have a different maryada than grihistis who have jobs and kids to take care of.

Lol

Thankfully, Guru Sahib has given Maryada of only Grihast Gursikhs (married, never divorced/remarried) to do seva in Panj.