Sikh school closing

puzzled

2 hours ago, proactive said:

It's not hate, people just disagree with their fanaticism for interfaith. In the new Niskham West London school they make sure that the kids who are a majority Sikh have to take part a Hindu, Muslim and Christian assembly during the week. There is probably just a handful of Muslim, Hindu and Christian kids in the scholl and yet the make the majority Sikh kids take part in these assemblies. Khalsa Primary School in Norwood Green does not do this and the have a daily divan in the Gurdwara Sahib. 

It comes from the  need to acommodate and be all inclusive.

Our people feel the need to deprecate our needs and prioritise others over ourselves. 

There are elements of gora society that does this and we follow suit.

4 hours ago, proactive said:

It's not hate, people just disagree with their fanaticism for interfaith. In the new Niskham West London school they make sure that the kids who are a majority Sikh have to take part a Hindu, Muslim and Christian assembly during the week. There is probably just a handful of Muslim, Hindu and Christian kids in the scholl and yet the make the majority Sikh kids take part in these assemblies. Khalsa Primary School in Norwood Green does not do this and the have a daily divan in the Gurdwara Sahib. 

That's an interesting observation, a lot of us old folks (well, those who have children going through the education system) may remember going to school and having nothing but christian based assemblies with occasional "Asian" one thrown into the mix. 

I think that's a decision parents have to take individually, if they feel that a Sikh ethos school should only mean they teach Sikhi then they don't fully understand how the education system works, i think what they are looking for is a Sikh religious school. My kids go to a Sikh ethos school in the midlands (not Nishkam), they have and take part in Sikh assemblies and ones from other religions, the make up of that school is majority Sikh, I've never heard of a parent complaining about it.

If by learning about another religion or taking part in an assembly somehow makes your belief in your religion less then that's something you need to work on, as i mentioned above, i grew up having to take part in Christian assemblies, my religion stayed resolute.

I did my work experience in a catholic school which is on the same road as the Khalsa primary school and they used to have Catholic assemblies every morning with a prayer and the non Catholics had to be in the assembly but didn't have to take part in the prayer. 

The R.E lessons were Catholic but the teachers would ask the non Catholic kids to say about their religion too. There were a few Sikh/hindu kids and few Pakistani but that was it, had a lot of polish kids that couldn't speak English.

There was a little church in the School too not sure how often the kids used it though. 

The Sikh Primary school on that road is one of the best in the area and the parents are very happy with it, kids learn a lot about Sikhi in that school   more than what your average parents can probably teach or know. 

Further down the road theres a also a Muslim school which was one of the worst in the area, it had the worst Ofsted report and was full of corruption/money problems, not sure how it's doing now. They learn how to read and write in gurmukhi and know several japji sahib pauris of by heart. 

I know a lady whose kids went to the khalsa primary school but she didnt send her kid to the sikh secondary school because she said a lot of parents are saying it's not that good. 

1 hour ago, kcmidlands said:

That's an interesting observation, a lot of us old folks (well, those who have children going through the education system) may remember going to school and having nothing but christian based assemblies with occasional "Asian" one thrown into the mix. 

I think that's a decision parents have to take individually, if they feel that a Sikh ethos school should only mean they teach Sikhi then they don't fully understand how the education system works, i think what they are looking for is a Sikh religious school. My kids go to a Sikh ethos school in the midlands (not Nishkam), they have and take part in Sikh assemblies and ones from other religions, the make up of that school is majority Sikh, I've never heard of a parent complaining about it.

If by learning about another religion or taking part in an assembly somehow makes your belief in your religion less then that's something you need to work on, as i mentioned above, i grew up having to take part in Christian assemblies, my religion stayed resolute.

We had those assemblies and they even had some vicar hand out bibles for the students although I doubt that kind of thing would be allowed today. We even had Cliff Richards visit our school and he rambled on about religion as well. There is nothing wrong in learning about other religions but that is what RE is about. Religious schools only have an assembly with their religion and not any other religion. It seems the Nishkam people are so inclusive that they do not even know what assembly a religious school should have. You state that parents don't mind the assemblies of other religions, let's be honest here, the average Sikh parent trusts what ever the school does. The only reason my kid is going there is because the Gurdwara could not not be bothered to build a Khalsa secondary school in the primary school so Nishkam is the best option for al least a Sikh education. If there was a Khalsa secondary school nearby there is no way I would send my kid to Niskham instead of the Khalsa Seondary School. 

1 hour ago, proactive said:

We had those assemblies and they even had some vicar hand out bibles for the students although I doubt that kind of thing would be allowed today. We even had Cliff Richards visit our school and he rambled on about religion as well. There is nothing wrong in learning about other religions but that is what RE is about. Religious schools only have an assembly with their religion and not any other religion. It seems the Nishkam people are so inclusive that they do not even know what assembly a religious school should have. You state that parents don't mind the assemblies of other religions, let's be honest here, the average Sikh parent trusts what ever the school does. The only reason my kid is going there is because the Gurdwara could not not be bothered to build a Khalsa secondary school in the primary school so Nishkam is the best option for al least a Sikh education. If there was a Khalsa secondary school nearby there is no way I would send my kid to Niskham instead of the Khalsa Seondary School. 

The reason i say the parent's at our youngest kid's school don't mind is because there isn't a whole load of them (religious assemblies that is), we have the usual "festival" ones and there about 2/3 every month solely based around Sikhi but the school has take Sikh principles and moulded them so they are accessible by children from all religions.

Most "free" schools as they were called when they were set up like Nishkam and other's are "Sikh Ethos", i mentioned this in my post, they are not "Sikh Faith Schools" like Guru Nanak Sikh Academy in Hayes for example, at the end of the day it's up to you as a parent where you feel is best for your child, if had the option to send my children to a school like Nishkam i would because i'm more interested in their track record as a school and the education they provide (as far as i'm aware they are on the outstanding list with ofsted).

Just a question, if there was a Khlasa Secondary school nearby but the quality of education and ofsted reports were better  another school nearby would you still choose to send your child to the Khalsa one purely on the basis of religion.

5 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

It comes from the  need to acommodate and be all inclusive.

Our people feel the need to deprecate our needs and prioritise others over ourselves. 

There are elements of gora society that does this and we follow suit.

you can accomodate without forcing sikh kids to do pooja or iftar etc , to each their own  path ... it is the same as baru academies and schools in India insisting on doing hindu rituals , its BS. Imean non-sikh kids aren't expected to do gurdwara assemblies/programmes and are provided an extra language learning at atam academy: after all did Guru Pita ji tell us to observe others rites and rituals or just be aware of them ?

46 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

you can accomodate without forcing sikh kids to do pooja or iftar etc , to each their own  path ... it is the same as baru academies and schools in India insisting on doing hindu rituals , its BS. Imean non-sikh kids aren't expected to do gurdwara assemblies/programmes and are provided an extra language learning at atam academy: after all did Guru Pita ji tell us to observe others rites and rituals or just be aware of them ?

You know and I know this, but what is wrong with these people in our quam who go over and beyond what they ought to be doing.

The big problem with these 'academies' is that they are not-for-profit charities, but that doesn't mean the 'people' involved aren't rewarded very well. The management teams, get paid really well with little accountability + they get access to the local politicians etc. Then of course they decide how school funds are spent, which easily run into millions of pounds ( maintenance, building works, consultants, etc) . Just as many charities are 'dodgy' the same goes for many of these 'academies'

4 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

The reason i say the parent's at our youngest kid's school don't mind is because there isn't a whole load of them (religious assemblies that is), we have the usual "festival" ones and there about 2/3 every month solely based around Sikhi but the school has take Sikh principles and moulded them so they are accessible by children from all religions.

Most "free" schools as they were called when they were set up like Nishkam and other's are "Sikh Ethos", i mentioned this in my post, they are not "Sikh Faith Schools" like Guru Nanak Sikh Academy in Hayes for example, at the end of the day it's up to you as a parent where you feel is best for your child, if had the option to send my children to a school like Nishkam i would because i'm more interested in their track record as a school and the education they provide (as far as i'm aware they are on the outstanding list with ofsted).

Just a question, if there was a Khlasa Secondary school nearby but the quality of education and ofsted reports were better  another school nearby would you still choose to send your child to the Khalsa one purely on the basis of religion.

I would definately send my son to a Khalsa school even if it had a worse Ofsted report an a non-Sikh school. For one I take a great interest in my children's education, I tutored my son myself through the 11 plus not to get him into a grammer school but so that he would be ahead in year 7 which has worked really well with the lockdown because he has already done the year 7 work in Maths and English. The way I lok at it is that parents have to take a lot of responsiblility for their children's education and know where their weaknesses are and not rely on the school to address this but themselves. The reason I want him in a Sikh school is so that he has a good grounding in our religion and culture. He has learned to play the Tabla which he would not have been able to do in a non-Sikh school and his whole way of thinking is not entirely who a Sikh would think. I heard his sing a shabad to himself while he was doing his homework and because the Khalsa school has a lot of assemblies he gets a chance to sing shabads with his class to the whole school. 

1 hour ago, imhosingh said:

The big problem with these 'academies' is that they are not-for-profit charities, but that doesn't mean the 'people' involved aren't rewarded very well. The management teams, get paid really well with little accountability + they get access to the local politicians etc. Then of course they decide how school funds are spent, which easily run into millions of pounds ( maintenance, building works, consultants, etc) . Just as many charities are 'dodgy' the same goes for many of these 'academies'

True where ever there is money involved the fraudsters will always find a way to get themselves into positions in order to take advantage.