Sikh school closing

puzzled

35 minutes ago, proactive said:

I would definately send my son to a Khalsa school even if it had a worse Ofsted report an a non-Sikh school. For one I take a great interest in my children's education, I tutored my son myself through the 11 plus not to get him into a grammer school but so that he would be ahead in year 7 which has worked really well with the lockdown because he has already done the year 7 work in Maths and English. The way I lok at it is that parents have to take a lot of responsiblility for their children's education and know where their weaknesses are and not rely on the school to address this but themselves. The reason I want him in a Sikh school is so that he has a good grounding in our religion and culture. He has learned to play the Tabla which he would not have been able to do in a non-Sikh school and his whole way of thinking is not entirely who a Sikh would think. I heard his sing a shabad to himself while he was doing his homework and because the Khalsa school has a lot of assemblies he gets a chance to sing shabads with his class to the whole school. 

The school my younger kids go to do this, they have tabla classes, kirtan classes, the children go to various Gurdwara's to do Kirtan on Sundays (before lockdown), my kids come back from school asking questions about Sikh history, this is a Sikh ethos school and not a faith school like I've mentioned, they are not full force "interfaith" but do teach getting on with other's.

Your right about taking responsibility for your children's education and not relying on schools to do the whole job but unfortunately there are a lot of parents who still rely on schools because they either don't have time, don't understand or simply don't want to educate their children at home.

31 minutes ago, kcmidlands said:

The school my younger kids go to do this, they have tabla classes, kirtan classes, the children go to various Gurdwara's to do Kirtan on Sundays (before lockdown), my kids come back from school asking questions about Sikh history, this is a Sikh ethos school and not a faith school like I've mentioned, they are not full force "interfaith" but do teach getting on with other's.

Your right about taking responsibility for your children's education and not relying on schools to do the whole job but unfortunately there are a lot of parents who still rely on schools because they either don't have time, don't understand or simply don't want to educate their children at home.

Is it still seen as ‘uncool’ to do well in school? I remember it was the opposite for my cousins in India, who all wanted to be ‘first’ in their class

i understand studies and doing well is much more respected amongst peers in private schools in UK

We have this little statue of the taj Mahal from like 17 years ago, got it when we went to see the taj mahal

But anyway our family friend her daughter used to go to the khalsa primary school and one day when the kid came around our house she told us it's wrong to have the taj Mahal statue at home as it was built by "jahangir" who was a mughal and a "bad man" she also pointed out he was a Muslim. Obviously she got confused between Shahjahan and Jahangir. 

Now that's the kind of stuff I want to hear from my kids when they come back from school!! 

15 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Is it still seen as ‘uncool’ to do well in school? I remember it was the opposite for my cousins in India, who all wanted to be ‘first’ in their class

i understand studies and doing well is much more respected amongst peers in private schools in UK

I'm not too sure to be honest, we've always taught our children the value of education supersedes pretty much everything, most of the children in their schools have this mentality as well so they all do well, i think times have changes and the way children are taught has become a little less black and white and more organic (in my experience). There will always be that group of kids that don't care and would much rather be doing something "cool" rather than studying but i think that because our generation went through that we are better equipped to deal with it if our children go down that road.

I'll tell you a story about private schools, my chacha sent his eldest son all the way through private education, spent a lot of money, he's a great lad my cousin, he now works for the teacher's union (NUT) as a website assistant, all that education for nothing, his younger brother, again, a great guy, went through the normal education route, went to Uni, did a BA then MA in Architecture, spent 5 years at a top London form and now runs his own Architectural firm, it's not about money or private schools, it's about your mentality and hunger to educate yourself.

On 8/11/2020 at 11:35 AM, proactive said:

We had those assemblies and they even had some vicar hand out bibles for the students although I doubt that kind of thing would be allowed today.

The Khalsa Academy in wolverhampton allowed gideans to come in and give out bibles to the students.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:07 PM, kcmidlands said:

Sikh ethos schools have the freedom to do as much or as little about Sikhi in their schools. It's just a pity that TKAW is mass producing a generation of athiest sikh children. My niece has completed 5 years at this school, and knows next to nothing about Sikhi.

There are also parents who don't have the knowledge to teach themselves. If they don't know it, they can't help their children. Some children also are very obstinate about not learning at home, but when they are with their peers, they participate in learning. Gurdwaras are useless about teaching children about gurmat. Parents are often clueless themselves. The best option was schools, but even that is very hit and miss now.