Anand Karaj in 1900s

puzzled

Years ago when i was a teenager we went to a wedding in Birmingham, it was my cousins husbands side of the families wedding, i went Birmingham with them but stayed at my other cousins house while my my parents and sister went to the wedding. And as usual when they came back i asked them how was it, and they said the brides mum fainted at the Gurdwara because she was up all night getting her hair and makeup done so she didn't get any sleep!  just fell flat at the Gurdwara, so they dragged her to the side by the legs to get her out of the way.

If the mothers are doing this themselves then what hope do the daughters have? Wheres the Sikhi in all of this? What did they understand from the ceremony? 

as for the old bird being dragged by her legs like a dead goat it must of been embarrassing when she woke up i'd imagine.

There's a lot of mutton dressed as lamb at Punjabi events these days. No amount of slap is gnna cover that earthquake. 

1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I think (my wacky theory), our gurdwarae in the west have inadvertently  have taken the design of the church.

The darbar hall become long and rectangular like a church hall with Maharaj being right at the end of the darbar hall like a church alter. 

This has made the Anand Karaj into a Church Wedding Service and you try to fill in as many people in as possible. The only reason a lot of people come is for the chat and mithai. 

Most darbar halls in Punjab and probably rest of India are more square in shape and Maharaj tends to be more centrally located. 

Do you think the floor plan of the darbar hall in Gurdwareh on Indian soil mimic the layout of Harmandir Sahib if we were to look at it from above? It's similar to what you're describing. The slightly off-vertical (nearer to the back) location of the building itself / Guru Granth Sahib Ji, while the fairly long-ish middle path leading up to the building / the location of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. That's interesting.

26 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Do you think the floor plan of the darbar hall in Gurdwareh on Indian soil mimic the layout of Harmandir Sahib if we were to look at it from above? It's similar to what you're describing. The slightly off-vertical (nearer to the back) location of the building itself / Guru Granth Sahib Ji, while the fairly long-ish middle path leading up to the building / the location of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. That's interesting.

It is an observation. 

What you will also notice the traditional gurdwara has three exits, one at the back behind Maharaj and two on the side.

Because Maharaj tends to be more centrally located people will matha tek not once at the front but go towards the matha tek behind Maharaj and matha tek again.

There is more space to manoeuvre. 

In the west, it looks odd.

In Punjab and in India (you will notice on the program on TV of Harimandir Sahib), you notice people sitting in front, behind and around the sides.

21 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

It is an observation. 

What you will also notice the traditional gurdwara has three exits, one at the back behind Maharaj and two on the side.

Because Maharaj tends to be more centrally located people will matha tek not once at the front but go towards the matha tek behind Maharaj and matha tek again.

There is more space to manoeuvre. 

In the west, it looks odd.

In Punjab and in India (you will notice on the program on TV of Harimandir Sahib), you notice people sitting in front, behind and around the sides.

Yeah gurdwara structure in Pubjab is different to here, especially the ones in the pinds. It's a square and not rectangle. And yeah people sit around maharaj on the sides and the front. 

But the newer designs are like the gurdware here! They are replicating the gurdwara in the uk and making massive halls with long church like aisle. 

Theres something very charming and warm about the little old gurdware in the pinds. 

The several entrances to the darbar hall is also interesting. 

In india the anand karaj only has the main relatives turn up, like chacha, thaiya, mama massi etc    even cousins don't bother turning up or some of the male relatives lol! 

Here you have like 80 people at your anand karaj! 

Do you really need your cousins cousins, your cousins in-laws, your 3rd, 4th or 5th cousins, Your puas in-laws, massis-inlaws, "family friends" you havnt spoken to for over 10 years, really is ridiculous, inviting the relatives of you're relatives. 

17 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Do you really need your cousins cousins, your cousins in-laws, your 3rd, 4th or 5th cousins, Your puas in-laws, massis-inlaws, "family friends" you havnt spoken to for over 10 years, really is ridiculous, inviting the relatives of you're relatives. 

It is done so that you don't offend anyone.

The minute one relative and you leave out another relative,  you will be accused of picking favourites. 

I saw something that may start to get popular. 

I had a relative that passed away abroad. Because of covid-19 and the fact that funeral being the next day , a lot of people could not attend.

However, I saw the funeral on live stream.

I think this could be the future. 

I think with weddings that could happen.

If you got a cousin who is getting married in the UK, and you have relatives all over the world, you send a link and watch the Anand Karaj.

People send invites on whatsapp or whatever other social media platform these days. 

I think this maybe the way forward 

1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

It is done so that you don't offend anyone.

The minute one relative and you leave out another relative,  you will be accused of picking favourites. 

I saw something that may start to get popular. 

I had a relative that passed away abroad. Because of covid-19 and the fact that funeral being the next day , a lot of people could not attend.

However, I saw the funeral on live stream.

I think this could be the future. 

I think with weddings that could happen.

If you got a cousin who is getting married in the UK, and you have relatives all over the world, you send a link and watch the Anand Karaj.

People send invites on whatsapp or whatever other social media platform these days. 

I think this maybe the way forward 

Yeah they do that with weddings, we saw someones in India like that, it was live on youtube and i just connected it to the TV. i prefer that tbh, rather than attending the wedding just sit back, grab some pop corn and watch it live in your living room. 

I didn't know they did that with funerals too!  i'v never been to a funeral.

I remember some people used to video funerals! Years and years ago when i was like 6 years old our neighbors gave us a funeral video of one of their relatives! and they showed the dead body and zoomed in and out of the face and then showed the fire part! I don't understand why people used to record funerals!  

I think people in India are very used to seeing the dead and its quite normal, while here abroad death and the dead are kept out of site, its almost like it doesn't exist. 

I don't think kids born in the west should be exposed to the dead, death etc because we just don't live in a country where death "exists" its all hidden here. While in India its different, kids be playing on the street and people will carry a dead body on their shoulders etc its different there.